Jewel

  • deeno
    Message 1 of 14 , Dec 31, 2000
      >Looked in 1870 census book by Jessie Brandon Griffith and didn't find any
      >Beavers listed.

      >Hope this helps you
      >Jewel

      Jewel,

      Is there such a book for sale? I would be interested in it, if so.

      I am looking for the Elijah Graves family. They were in Jackson Co 1834-at
      least 1870. He is not on the 1870 census, but his wife is and she is listed
      as a widow.

      I would really love to have the bk. I have subscribed to the Jackson County
      Chronicles and am anxiously awaiting the January issue. So, the cem bk will
      be a plus!

      Thanks,

      Rayedene Graves

      Message 2 of 14 , Jan 1, 2001
        I read with much interest your note about the 1870 Census book by Jessie
        Brandon Griffith. Is that book for sale and how would I purchase one?
        Would you be so kind to see if Alfred Willis is listed and if Taylor Cameron
        is listed.
        Thank you so much. Mary Drew
      • J Casey
        Message 3 of 14 , Jan 1, 2001
          To everyone:
          I bought the 1870 Jackson County, AL census from:
          Jessie J. Brandon Griffith
          1002 Lakeview Drive
          Rossville, GA 30741

          when it first came out in 1989. Not sure the book is still available but
          someone else might know about it.

          As far as "Paint Rock Valley Pioneers" by Kittye Henshaw, Evelyn Rochelle
          and Addie Shaver, it is my understaning that it is no longer available. Ms.
          Kitty passed away recently and Evelyn Rochelle and Addie Shaver both live in
          Huntsville and can be contacted through "Valley Leaves" Tennessee Valley
          Genealogical Society, Inc. in Huntsville. Their web site is
          http://hiwaay.net/~white/TVGS/tvgs.html

          Thanks
          Jewel

          > >Looked in 1870 census book by Jessie Brandon Griffith and didn't find any
          > >Beavers listed.
          >
          > >Hope this helps you
          > >Jewel
          >
          > Jewel,
          >
          > Is there such a book for sale? I would be interested in it, if so.
          >
          > I am looking for the Elijah Graves family. They were in Jackson Co
          1834-at
          > least 1870. He is not on the 1870 census, but his wife is and she is
          listed
          > as a widow.
          >
          > I would really love to have the bk. I have subscribed to the Jackson
          County
          > Chronicles and am anxiously awaiting the January issue. So, the cem bk
          will
          > be a plus!
          >
          > Thanks,
          >
          > Rayedene Graves

        • J Casey
          Message 4 of 14 , Jan 1, 2001
            June 2, 1870 Jackson County, AL
            Subdivision 2, Big Coon
            #195-199
            A.J. Willis 20 (male) Ala. school teacher

            No Taylor Cameron listed.

            Thanks

          • MaryTom482@aol.com
            Message 5 of 14 , Jan 1, 2001
              Thank you so much for looking this up for me. Am most interested in the
              Willis genealogy. Have hit so many blocks!!!!! Mary Willis Drew
            • J Casey
              Message 6 of 14 , Jan 1, 2001
                Mary, there was also
                in the same area as A.J. Willis

                #60-60
                Larkin Willis 42 AL
                Cynthia 38 TN
                John 20 TN
                Cynthia 18 AL
                Wm. 16 TN
                Wilson 12 AL
                Mary 10 AL
                Musadore 8 AL female
                James 6 AL
                Thos. 4 AL
                Edgar 5/12 AL (Dec)
                Walter 5/12 AL (Dec)

                #248-252
                Elizabeth Willis 33 AL
                Serena 14 AL
                Sarah J. 12 AL
                Nancy 6 AL

                #253-257
                Wm. L. Ferguson 62 NC
                Martha 50 TN
                Sarah E. 24 TN
                Amos Wilson 18 TN Female (Wilson may have been her middle
                name-yes listed as female
                Amanda M. 15 TN
                John M. 10 TN
                Wm. L. Willis 34 Miss-teacher

                #768-773
                Elizabeth Willis 62 TN
                Wilson 29 AL
                Alfred 17 AL
                Susan 12 AL
                Michael 10 TN
                Darcus C. 50 VA

                Then Scottsboro, 300 June 1, 1870
                #312-311
                James Willis 44 AL laborer
                Margaret 46 AL
                Susannah 22 AL
                Calvin 20 AL
                John H. 17 AL
                Nancy A. 10 AL

                Scottsboro T3-R4#50-50
                James Willis 45 AL
                Margaret 41 AL
                Calvin 20 AL
                John H. 17 AL
                Mary 15 AL
                Nancy E. 12 AL
                James M. 9 AL
                Wm. 6 AL
                Ann M. 3 AL
                Susannah Allan 23 AL
                Samuel C. 4 AL
                It appears he is an Allan

                June 21, 1870 Woodville Subdivision #4
                There was Calvin Willis 20 AL
                Works on R.R. living with a Charles Davis or Dover

                Township 4 Range 5 East (probably of Scottsboro or Woodville)

                #7-7
                Sarah Willis 36 AL
                Olivia E. 22 AL
                Arkansas 19 AL

                Sure hope this helps you with your Willis research
                Jewel D. Casey

                Message 7 of 14 , Jan 2, 2001
                  I have a few minutes so thought I'd send these to you anyway.

                  June 16, 1870 Bridgeport, Jackson County, AL
                  #95-96
                  David Cameron 22 AL
                  Martha 23 TN
                  Nora L. 9/12 al (Sept.)

                  June 1, 1870 Stevenson District, Jackson County, AL
                  #20-22
                  Daniel Cameron 38 AL
                  Jane 32 TN
                  Mary 14 AL
                  Ann 11 AL
                  Taylor 9 AL ****
                  James 6 AL
                  Nancy 3 AL

                  Could that be the Taylor Cameron you're talking about?? I thought he would
                  have been an adult. As a caution, you should give an approximate birth or
                  death date when asking about someone. OK? No harm done, except to you maybe
                  because I didn't see him as a child. Good luck.

                  #22-24
                  Elizabeth Cameron 72 TN
                  Martha 38 AL
                  Mary J. 27 AL
                  Jane McCrary 13 AL

                  #23-25
                  Lozan Cameron 38 TN
                  Mary 20 AL
                  Jane 4/12 AL (Feb.)

                  June 30, 1870, Long Island District, Jackson County, AL

                  #113-114
                  Hugh Cameron 53 KY
                  Nancy 46 SC
                  Elizabeth 24 AL
                  Wm. 22 AL
                  Daniel 21 AL
                  John C. 20 AL
                  Matilda 16 AL
                  Nancy 14 AL
                  Mary 11 AL
                  Millie 9 AL
                  Louisa 7 AL

                  JULY 1, 1870 , 300 Subdivision, Jackson County, AL(doesn't explain enough as
                  to where located)
                  #110-109
                  CAMRON
                  Samuel Camron 35 TN
                  Eliza 26 GA
                  Wm. 4 GA
                  Amanda 1 GA
                  Mary 26 GA

                  #379-376
                  Mindy Camron 31 AL male
                  Lucy 30 AL
                  Henry G. 5 AL

                  August 19, 1870 Township 6, Range 5 East, Jackson County, AL (doesn't
                  explain enough as to where located)

                  #37-37
                  James T. CAMERON 33 AL
                  Nancy 25 AL
                  Sarah E. 2 AL
                  Abraham J. 5/12 AL (no date)

                  Township 5 Range 5 East, Jackson County, Al (no date, assuming same as
                  above)
                  #44-43
                  Charles Cameron 23 GA
                  Sarah A. 25 AL
                  Ellen 6 AL
                  Anna 8/12 AL (Oct)

                  I think this covers all the CAMERON and CAMRON 1870 Jackson County, AL
                  Hope all this helps you somehow.
                  Jewel
                  Message 8 of 14 , Mar 29, 2002
                    Jewel,

                    You have just taught a very good lesson on searching census page by page
                    instead of using the indexes.

                    I find Mas Colbert in HH 314 but he is not listed on any index search on
                    ancestry, even using the soundex seach method.

                    The name is spelled on the census as Cobbert, so with soundex search, it was
                    not picked up.

                    Thanks for the reminder that it is not as simple as it sometimes seems.

                    Rayedene Graves

                    Message 9 of 14 , Mar 30, 2002
                      Well, thank you!! Sometimes the surname looks like something else, in this
                      case it looked like COBBERT.

                    • Kevin Hall
                      Message 10 of 14 , Mar 30, 2002
                        Thank you for all your help, It is really
                        appreciated.
                        The Mas Colbert may be a nick name. We are looking
                        into the possiblity that William Colbert had several
                        children listed on the 1818 census but most all had
                        indian names. One of them may be the father of Mas.
                        Gina

                        === message truncated ===

                        http://greetings.yahoo.com/
                      • Jewel Casey
                        Message 11 of 14 , Mar 31, 2002
                          I'm dumb, what 1818 census are you speaking of? And where was William
                          located?