Re: [jacksongenealogy] Old Church Records

  • Lewis Flanagin
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 9, 2007
      Yes, there are some church records available on microfilm, which can be obtained through interlibrary loan. I found my 3rd great-grandfather, James M. Flanagin, listed as one of the Wills Creek elders in "Mud Creek Association (northeast Alabama and adjoining Tennessee and Georgia), Primitive Baptist, 1821-1930 / from Esther McCrory Chapter, Amarillo, Texas." Another source is "Early Baptists of Jackson County, Alabama Records, 1821-1921. 2 vols." You can also look at the marriage records. I found twelve marriage records where my 3rd great-grandfather is listed as Minister of the Gospel.

      robert_s_63134 <robert_s_63134@...> wrote:
      I have a 4th gr grandfather named John Williams who is listed in the
      1850 Jackson County census as a Baptist minister. I'm curious if there
      might be sources of old church records from Jackson County, AL? I
      believe he lived north of the river, not far from present day
      Stevenson. Any help would be appreciated!

    • Robert Schneider
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 2, 2007
        Sorry for the late reply, but better late than never!
        Thanks very much for the info. I intend to try to
        borrow those films.

        Robert Schneider