RE: NARA Fee Increases

    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 7, 2007
      Feb 26 2007 NARA published a list of their proposed new fees. If you had intentions of ordering files from NARA do it soon especially if it is a Civil War Pension file. The proposed fee for that file is going from $37.00 to $125.00 for a full Civil War Pension file.

      I think this mostly is for the full Union soldiers files as most of the Confederate files are held at state level. In Alabama that would be at the ADAH.

      ADAH fees are $15 for AL residents and $25 for nonresidents this includes up to 20 pages of copying and 25 cents for each additional page. Fee is non-returnable.

      Most of the other fees at NARA remain at $25.00..

    • risen2live4him
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 7, 2007
        Thanks for the warning! When do the new fee rates go into effect?

        --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com, clay gullatt

        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 7, 2007
          I would guess that the increase would be in effect by summer. You know that old saying "we aren't going to raise your taxes", whisper "just fees" they ain't taxes after all.

          You can look for increases at county and state levels as more and more people get into genealogy.

          My advise is order everything you want before the increase. Won't belong before $25 for a few pages will seem cheap.