RE: [jacksongenealogy] William M. Beavers

  • rubyb@edge.net
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 29, 2000
      Hi,
      I am Ruby Headrick Brown. I was raised in Jackson County, AL at Pisgah.
      There were a lot of Beavers who lived in my community. I've been gone from
      the area and have lost touch with a lot of old friends; but my sister still
      lives there. I will ask around and see what I can find out when I get a
      chance to go see her. There are many old-line families living in the area.
      Many of them were able to homestead land about that time. Many of them
      helped with the Indian Removal in 1829 and thus were allowed to homestead
      large tracts of land-at least that is what I have been told. If William
      were a homesteader, they will have a record at Scottsboro, AL, the county
      seat, and someone there might be able to Photostat a copy for you.

      Who are some of the other families in your line? There are many Allen's
      Grays, Hicks, Starkey's, etc. in the area. All of these had large families
      and were some of the first white settlers in the area. Some of them
      probably intermarried. I hope this helps.

      Ruby

      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 30, 2000
        I have a little information on a Granville M. Beavers
        who married into my family. I would be happy to share
        if you think he fits in with yours.

        Charlie.

        http://photos.yahoo.com/
      • princessozma@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 30, 2000
          I would love to hear what info you have---one never knows. Granville
          could be family. Thanks! Roni
        • princessozma@yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 30, 2000
            Actually, we believe that William married an Emily or possibly Amelia
            Bicknell. William's daughter Millie Rose (my line) married Thomas
            Jefferson Robertson who was the son of Warning Peter Robertson and
            Frances Holmes Callaway (daughter of Colonel Richard Callaway Jr. of
            Boonesborough KY). I have been told that William was buried in the
            Old Taliaferro or Tolliver Cemetary. Supposedly, he was mentioned in
            the book Paint Rock Valley Pioneers. His tombstone is quoted in the
            book I believe. I have seen William's name in an idex of the 1870
            Jackson County Census, but not the actual census. So other than his
            name, I do not know what the census covers. I am at a brick wall. I
            do not know his parents names. Take care and thank you for
            responding. Roni
          • Charles McCutchen
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 31, 2000
              --- princessozma@... wrote:
              > I would love to hear what info you have---one never
              > knows. Granville
              > could be family. Thanks! Roni

              This is what little information I have found:

              Descendants of Granville M. Beavers

              First Generation

              1. Granville M. Beavers-[2772] .

              Granville married Elizabeth Higgins McCutchen-[270]
              [MRIN:958], daughter of
              William Walker McCutchen Jr-[57] and Margarette
              Harrsion-[59], on 12 Jan
              1876 in Marshall County, Al. (Elizabeth Higgins
              McCutchen-[270] was born
              on 14 Feb 1856 in Larkinsville, Jackson County,
              Al. , died on 1 Aug 1880
              in Cleburne, Johnson County, Texas. , buried in
              Pleasant Point Cemetery,
              Johnson County, Texas. .)

              They had the following children:

              2 M i. Olin Beavers-[2773] .

              The one clue I can give you is there is a much earlier
              Granville Beavers I ran across in posting a message to
              the Beavers Genforum page. It seems to me that this
              might be a family name. Go to the Beavers Genforum
              page and do a search for Granville.

              I hope this eventually helps.

              Charlie.

              http://photos.yahoo.com/
            • J Casey
              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 31, 2000
                Old Taliferro (Tolliver) Cemetery
                W.M. Beaver
                Born Oct. 1st, 1808
                Died Nov. 25th, 1875
                Age 67 years, 1 mo. & 25 days
                "Blessed are the pure in heart for they shall see God"
                Erected by his son J.L. Beaver

                (No other Beaver listed in this cemetery.)
                There's about 15 markers and a lot of unmarked graves-probably a hundred.

                Beech Grove Cemetery, Francisco community.
                James L. Beaver
                Born March 11, 1844
                Died Dec. 30, 1913
                "Thy trials ended, thy rest is won."

                Nancy Jane beaver
                Died Jan. 9, 1910
                Aged 63 years
                "She was the sunshine of our home."

                Oscar W., Husband of
                Sallie E. Beaver
                Born July 30, 1876
                Died April 28, 1903
                "Since thou can no longer stay to cheer me with thy love
                I hope to meet thee again in yon bright world above."

                Notes on Beech Grove Cemetery
                Jim C. Pogue, a child of Alfred Walter Pogue and Martha Elizabeth (Garland)
                Pogue married Maggie Alice, daughter of James L. Beaver and wife Nancy Jane
                (Brown) Beaver, who are also buried at this cemetery.

                The only other Beaver is at:
                Old Paint Rock Cemetery #1

                Iron fence around Beaver lot
                Mother
                Sallie E. Smith
                December 29, 1859
                September 9, 1925

                Erected by Woodman of the World
                Willie O. Beaver
                Born Jan. 16, 1884
                Died March 4, 1905
                "A precious from us is gone
                A voice we loved is stilled
                A place is vacant our home
                Which never can be filled."

                Thomas H. Beaver
                Born November 28, 1856
                Died January 17, 1889

                **Not sure who else would be in that lot, it doesn't say

                No other Beaver listed in Paint Rock Valley Pioneers, by Kittye Vandiver
                Henshaw, Evelyn Smith Rocheel and Addie Katherine Stovall Shaver, (cemetery
                book and other info.)

                Looked in 1870 census book by Jessie Brandon Griffith and didn't find any
                Beavers listed.

                Hope this helps you
                Jewel