William M. Beavers

  • princessozma@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 29, 2000
      Hi! I am new to this board. What a great resource. I am trying to
      find info on William M. Beavers. He was born 10/1/1808 in Burke
      County and died 11/25/1875 in Jackson County supposedly in the old
      Talliaferro/Toliver cemetary. His wife was Emily or a variation on
      that name. His children were Millie Rose, Elizabeth, John L., Mary A.
      (Polly),Sarah, Eliza, James R., Martha, Alice, and William C.
      Beavers. William M. Beavers is mentioned in the 1870 census, but I
      cannot find any other references about his parents. I really need
      any advice or information anyone can give me as I have met the
      proverbial brick wall. Thank you all!
    • rubyb@edge.net
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 29, 2000
        Hi,
        I am Ruby Headrick Brown. I was raised in Jackson County, AL at Pisgah.
        There were a lot of Beavers who lived in my community. I've been gone from
        the area and have lost touch with a lot of old friends; but my sister still
        lives there. I will ask around and see what I can find out when I get a
        chance to go see her. There are many old-line families living in the area.
        Many of them were able to homestead land about that time. Many of them
        helped with the Indian Removal in 1829 and thus were allowed to homestead
        large tracts of land-at least that is what I have been told. If William
        were a homesteader, they will have a record at Scottsboro, AL, the county
        seat, and someone there might be able to Photostat a copy for you.

        Who are some of the other families in your line? There are many Allen's
        Grays, Hicks, Starkey's, etc. in the area. All of these had large families
        and were some of the first white settlers in the area. Some of them
        probably intermarried. I hope this helps.

        Ruby

        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 30, 2000
          I have a little information on a Granville M. Beavers
          who married into my family. I would be happy to share
          if you think he fits in with yours.

          Charlie.

          http://photos.yahoo.com/
        • princessozma@yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 30, 2000
            I would love to hear what info you have---one never knows. Granville
            could be family. Thanks! Roni
          • princessozma@yahoo.com
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 30, 2000
              Actually, we believe that William married an Emily or possibly Amelia
              Bicknell. William's daughter Millie Rose (my line) married Thomas
              Jefferson Robertson who was the son of Warning Peter Robertson and
              Frances Holmes Callaway (daughter of Colonel Richard Callaway Jr. of
              Boonesborough KY). I have been told that William was buried in the
              Old Taliaferro or Tolliver Cemetary. Supposedly, he was mentioned in
              the book Paint Rock Valley Pioneers. His tombstone is quoted in the
              book I believe. I have seen William's name in an idex of the 1870
              Jackson County Census, but not the actual census. So other than his
              name, I do not know what the census covers. I am at a brick wall. I
              do not know his parents names. Take care and thank you for
              responding. Roni
            • Charles McCutchen
              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 31, 2000
                --- princessozma@... wrote:
                > I would love to hear what info you have---one never
                > knows. Granville
                > could be family. Thanks! Roni

                This is what little information I have found:

                Descendants of Granville M. Beavers

                First Generation

                1. Granville M. Beavers-[2772] .

                Granville married Elizabeth Higgins McCutchen-[270]
                [MRIN:958], daughter of
                William Walker McCutchen Jr-[57] and Margarette
                Harrsion-[59], on 12 Jan
                1876 in Marshall County, Al. (Elizabeth Higgins
                McCutchen-[270] was born
                on 14 Feb 1856 in Larkinsville, Jackson County,
                Al. , died on 1 Aug 1880
                in Cleburne, Johnson County, Texas. , buried in
                Pleasant Point Cemetery,
                Johnson County, Texas. .)

                They had the following children:

                2 M i. Olin Beavers-[2773] .

                The one clue I can give you is there is a much earlier
                Granville Beavers I ran across in posting a message to
                the Beavers Genforum page. It seems to me that this
                might be a family name. Go to the Beavers Genforum
                page and do a search for Granville.

                I hope this eventually helps.

                Charlie.

                http://photos.yahoo.com/
              • J Casey
                Message 7 of 7 , Dec 31, 2000
                  Old Taliferro (Tolliver) Cemetery
                  W.M. Beaver
                  Born Oct. 1st, 1808
                  Died Nov. 25th, 1875
                  Age 67 years, 1 mo. & 25 days
                  "Blessed are the pure in heart for they shall see God"
                  Erected by his son J.L. Beaver

                  (No other Beaver listed in this cemetery.)
                  There's about 15 markers and a lot of unmarked graves-probably a hundred.

                  Beech Grove Cemetery, Francisco community.
                  James L. Beaver
                  Born March 11, 1844
                  Died Dec. 30, 1913
                  "Thy trials ended, thy rest is won."

                  Nancy Jane beaver
                  Died Jan. 9, 1910
                  Aged 63 years
                  "She was the sunshine of our home."

                  Oscar W., Husband of
                  Sallie E. Beaver
                  Born July 30, 1876
                  Died April 28, 1903
                  "Since thou can no longer stay to cheer me with thy love
                  I hope to meet thee again in yon bright world above."

                  Notes on Beech Grove Cemetery
                  Jim C. Pogue, a child of Alfred Walter Pogue and Martha Elizabeth (Garland)
                  Pogue married Maggie Alice, daughter of James L. Beaver and wife Nancy Jane
                  (Brown) Beaver, who are also buried at this cemetery.

                  The only other Beaver is at:
                  Old Paint Rock Cemetery #1

                  Iron fence around Beaver lot
                  Mother
                  Sallie E. Smith
                  December 29, 1859
                  September 9, 1925

                  Erected by Woodman of the World
                  Willie O. Beaver
                  Born Jan. 16, 1884
                  Died March 4, 1905
                  "A precious from us is gone
                  A voice we loved is stilled
                  A place is vacant our home
                  Which never can be filled."

                  Thomas H. Beaver
                  Born November 28, 1856
                  Died January 17, 1889

                  **Not sure who else would be in that lot, it doesn't say

                  No other Beaver listed in Paint Rock Valley Pioneers, by Kittye Vandiver
                  Henshaw, Evelyn Smith Rocheel and Addie Katherine Stovall Shaver, (cemetery
                  book and other info.)

                  Looked in 1870 census book by Jessie Brandon Griffith and didn't find any
                  Beavers listed.

                  Hope this helps you
                  Jewel