Re: [jacksongenealogy] what must I see and do in jackson

  • Louise Howard
    Message 1 of 17 , Feb 10, 2007
      Dade County, Georgia also shares a border with
      Hamilton & Marion County , TN and Jackson & DeKalb
      County, AL.

      Louise Carver Howard
      Dade County, GA

    • rgpipes@hughes.net
      Message 2 of 17 , Feb 12, 2007
        Isn't Marion County, Tn. next to Jackson County, Al? I thought Richard City
        was just over the Alabama/Tn. line which is Marion County Tn., I thought.
        Regina

        _____

        Message 3 of 17 , Feb 12, 2007
          Marion County TN and Jackson County AL are side by side.

          South Pittsburg (Richard City) is on the TN side and the town of Bridgeport
          is just across the line in AL

        • joy0420@charter.net
          Message 4 of 17 , Feb 12, 2007
            Richard City is in Marion Co, TN just over the Jackson Co, Al line. I wonder if the confusion is coming in over Marion Co Ala vs Marion Co Tn?

            ---- rgpipes@... wrote:
            > Isn't Marion County, Tn. next to Jackson County, Al? I thought Richard City
            > was just over the Alabama/Tn. line which is Marion County Tn., I thought.
            > Regina
            >
            > _____

          • robert_s_63134
            Message 5 of 17 , Feb 20, 2007
              By any chance did your Harper family have any connection with Harpers
              that were in Fauquier VA in the late 18th century? My earliest
              documented Harper is Isaac Harper marrying Jemima Constable in 1787
              in Fauquier.

              Robert Schneider

              --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com, clay gullatt
              <blackcloud27030@...> wrote:

              > Marion County TNi s just to the north of Jackson Co. AL. Many
              Jackson Co. Many settlers came from the TN counties just to the north
              of Jackson including Franklin, Marion and Hamilton plus the counties
              along the Tennessee River. It was easier to go north/south with the
              TN River and creeks that flow to the south than going east/west
              because of the mountains. Even today it is not easy to go east/west
              from any given point in Jackson Co. In the old days it was easier by
              horseback to cross the mountains and hills as has been pointed out by
              Richard.

              > Many of the KY/VA settlers also came down the TN River to settle in
              AL. as did my Harper ancestors who came from Bedford Co. VA to
              Madison Co. then to Jackson Co.

              Message 6 of 17 , Feb 20, 2007
                Robert

                I do not believe so. There are no Isaac's in my Harper line that I know of.

                My GGGranfather was John Payne Harper b. 22 Mar 1790 Bedford Co. VA d. 30 Jun 1863 Scottsboo. AL m.12 Mar 1813 Martha "Patsy" Phillips b. 22 Jan 1796 KY d. 1883/84 Jackson Co. AL.

                John's father was Robert Harper b. ca 1760/70 probably Fredrick Co. MD d. 1840 Tuscaloosa AL m.(1)17 Dec 1787 Bedford Co. VA Margery Payne (2) Sarah Leah Hewitt13 Jan 1826 Tuscaloosa AL.

                This is the John Harper line b. 1633 Noke, Oxfordshire, Eng. d. 24 Apr 1716 Oxford Township PA. John his wife Ann Butcher with 5 of their then 6 children emigrated in 1682 to Philadelphia PA bought 500 acres from William Penn and founded Oxford Township PA, 2 more children were b. in Oxford Township PA. They were Quakers.

              • Joy
                Message 7 of 17 , Feb 20, 2007
                  I am looking for census info, family, etc on the following, as well as neighbors listed by/near them:

                  Joseph (Joe) & Lucy Thomas in Bolivar/Stevenson
                  David A & Annie(?) Thomas in Stevenson
                  1930's back.
                  Thanks. JOY

                  Message 8 of 17 , Feb 20, 2007
                    Joy,

                    My Thomas ancestors were in Jackson County in the early 1800's. They
                    were:

                    Issac
                    <http://worldconnect.genealogy.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=:a
                    h6316&id=I043> Henry THOMAS b: 17 Feb 1811
                    + Marilda
                    <http://worldconnect.genealogy.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=:a
                    h6316&id=I162> Jane CARMACK b: 20 Apr 1821

                    Isaac was granted land in Section 13; Township 5; Range 5 East of
                    Jackson County, Alabama in 1838. He had left the area by 1857 and moved
                    to Colbert County, Alabama.

                    Do you think there may be a relation?

                    Thanks,

                    Jason Thomas

                    Message 9 of 17 , Feb 20, 2007
                      Joy

                      1900 Censu Civil Dist 14 Marion Co. TN
                      Joe Thomas Aug 1876 23 mar.5yrs AL AL TN Iron Molder
                      Lucy Wife May 1880 20 mar.5yrs 2children/1living AL AL AL
                      Walter Son Jul? 1899 AL ??/12 months AL AL AL

                      1880 Dist 99 Jackson Co. AL
                      Joseph Thomas 40 Farmer AL AL AL
                      Margarett 34 Wife Keeping House AL TN TN
                      Mary 12 AL
                      Annie 11 AL
                      William 7 AL
                      Joseph 4 AL
                      Margarett 3 AL
                      Taylor Dawson 20 Labor Farm AL AL AL
                      William Dawson 9 Boarder AL AL AL
                      Lee Dawson 6 Boarder AL AL AL

                      1910 Civil Dist. 11 Hamilton Co. TN
                      D.A. Thomas Head 33 mar.once 10yrs TN TN TN Farmer
                      Annie Wife 24? mar.once 10yrs 4child/3liv TN TN TN
                      Theodore R. Son 7 TN TN TN
                      Ida May Dau 5 TN TN TN
                      Ralph Lee Son 9/12months TN TN TN

                      1900 Civil Dist. 11 Hamilton Co. TN
                      David Thomas Head Oct 1832 62 TN TN TN Farmer
                      Martha D. Wife Unknown 1833 67 TN TN TN
                      David A. Son Unknown 1879 21 TN TN TN Farmer

                      1880 Dist 11 Hamilton Co. TN
                      David Thomas 39 Farm Laborer TN TN TN
                      Martha 42 Wife Keeping House TN TN TN
                      Charles 16 Son Works on Farm TN TN TN
                      Margaret 14 Dau At Home TN TN TN
                      John 12 Son Works of Farm TN TN TN
                      William 11 Son Works on Farm TN TN
                      George 9 Son TN TN TN
                      Mary 7 Dau TN TN TN
                      Laura 4 Dau TN TN TN
                      Alice 1 Son TN TN TN
                      Albert 1 Son TN TN TN (Note: David A.)

                      1920 David A. Thomas's daughter is Cecil 2yrs 9months AL TN TN (Cecile?).

                      1920 Joe Thomas last two children Collins Son 8 and Velma Dau 3yrs 9months.

                      Will have to down load (tomorrow) the census images for you to see the neighbors.

                      Jackson Co. Marriages

                      Joseph Thomas M. Margaret Ralston 25 Dec 1866 J.E. Verner OS Page 460

                      Joe Jim Thomas m. Lucy Walker 21 Jul 1895 JOP Mason Thomas OS Page 134

                      Message 10 of 17 , Feb 20, 2007
                        Joy

                        1860 Div 1, Bridgeport PO. Jackson Co. AL
                        Joseph Thomas 64 Farmer VA
                        Euhamia 57 NC
                        Joseph 21 Laborer AL
                        Doctor M. 18 Laborer AL
                        Viney 16 AL
                        Joseph Hawk 17 Laborer AL
                        Joseph L. Thomas 13 AL
                        Euhamia Thomas 11 AL
                        John Thomas 11 AL
                        Niagara Thomas 9 AL

                        1850 Dist 19 Jackson Co. AL
                        Joseph Thomas 55 Farmer VA
                        Rozana 49 NC
                        Mary 21 AL
                        William 19 Farmer AL
                        James 17 Farmer AL
                        Lucinda 14 AL
                        Joseph 11 AL
                        Mayson 8 AL
                        Melvina 6 AL

                        Joseph Thomas is also on the 1830 and 1840 Jackson Co.

                        Joseph Thomas patented 3 tracts of land 1835 40 acres, 1859 120 acres, 1860 160 acres all were in Township 1 Range 8 Sections 8, 9, 10, 17.

                        Joseph James (Joe Jim) Thomas was apparently married in 1895 by his brother Mason (Mayson, Doctor M.) Thomas.

                      • Ann B. Chambless
                        Message 11 of 17 , Feb 20, 2007
                          For those of you interested in the Thomas surname, there was a Dr. Mason (Wm Mason) very highly thought of in the Stevenson area about the time Doctor Mason Thomas was named. Seems logical and highly likely that he was named for Dr. William Mason.
                          Ann Chambless

                        • joy0420@charter.net
                          Message 12 of 17 , Feb 21, 2007
                            Clay, Thank you for the wonderful info!! Will be waiting to see the census images. JOY