Different days, different times

  • Richard Matthews
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 6, 2007
      Discussions of travel during our ancestors time reminded me of other stories
      of bygone days in our area.

      Official War Between the States records show that in the 1860s Federal
      General Grant took a row boat from Chattanooga, Tn. all the way down
      the Tennessee River to Stevenson, Alabama, about 40 miles. Who would think
      about doing that today. My Dad tells of a trip with his Dad from Bridgeport
      to Langston, Alabama, down the Tennessee also in a row boat during one
      Winter around 1928. He says going down river in those days was easy because
      of the swift river current that existed before TVA built river dams and
      slowed the water.

      And for certain, horse back travel allowed the old timers to take short cuts
      in travel that we do not even think about today. They also did not mind
      walking long distances. My Grandfather on my Mothers side, The Jones, took
      many walking trips from Sand Mountain to the Powder Springs, Ga. and back
      area during his younger days. He never drove a car in his whole life and
      lived until the 1970s.

      Richard Matthews

    • MaryTom482@aol.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 6, 2007
        Thanks Richard. Would love more bits of history like this one...Mary Drew