Re: [jacksongenealogy] ELIJAH BRASHER

  • Richard Matthews
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 6, 2007
      Ms. Chambless is an expert on our county, but I have to differ with her here
      about the distance from Tupelo to Paint Rock Valley. She is correct if one
      follows todays roads but our ancestors did not have to do that in the days
      before automobiles. Paint Rock Valley by horse is not a long ride from the
      Tupelo area if one rides across Cumberland Mountain by horse and following
      trails.

      I learned this while researching my own Matthews family. I had family
      living in the Big Coon area, the east side of Cumberland Mountain with close
      relatives living on Hurricane Creek in Paint Rock Valley on the west side of
      Cumberland Mountain, which is a long car trip by modern roads. I wondered
      the same thing about the separation until an older family member
      straightened me out. He said, "No, it wasn't a long trip at all. They just
      hopped on their horse, went up and over on a mountain trail and they were
      there shortly". When I looked at the map, I discovered he was right, it was
      only a few miles by horseback. Since then I have learned to try to think in
      terms of conditions that existed at the time, when try to reason out why
      thing were as they were.

      Richard

      On 2/6/07, Ann B. Chambless <rabc123@...> wrote:

      --
      Richard Matthews

      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 6, 2007
        Thanks Ann, I was not aware of the "lay of the Land." I always appreciate
        your knowledge and help.

      • altafae@aol.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 6, 2007
          In a message dated 2/6/2007 6:17:26 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
          messabout@... writes:

          Big Coon

          and Maynard Cove were the two places my Brazier's lived - my grandmother,
          Sarah Brashear was born in Maynard Cove; and Solomon Stephen and Nancy Brazier,
          Elijah Braziers third daughter married in Big Coon; Solomon is the son of
          Ellis Stephens, son of Josiah Stephens. We are still trying to determine who
          the parents are of Elizabeth "Miss Betsy" Stephens b 1822 AL, it seems in 1840,
          next door is John W Stephens with a female in the household of the right
          age; and in 1830, Zechariah Stephens also has a daughter the right age, I have
          also found that William H Stephens was the only Stephens in Jackson county
          that had a daughter of the right age to be Elizabeth - so does anyone have the
          children of these early pioneers?

          Ernest Stephens, now 90 in a rest home in Bowie, Texas confirms that
          Elizabeth is a Stephens and a cousin to Solomon - which would make one of Ellis
          brothers the father. Charles Brashear stated she was his aunt; which is hard to
          believe since Ellis had no sisters in the age range; as they are the late
          1700's and Elizabeth was born near the time Elijah Brazier b 1800 SC had his
          Elizabeth - which has made a huge confusion over her and who she was.