Re: [jacksongenealogy] Prince Point Cemetary

  • Ann B. Chambless
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 4, 2007
      I am quoting (verbatim) the info from PAINT ROCK VALLEY PIONEERS by Addie
      Shaver, Kittye Henshaw, and Evelyn Rochelle:
      "This cemetery (Prince Point) is located on State Highway 65 by the Grant
      Barham home.
      It is in Township 2 South, Range 4 East, Section 16.
      This old cemetery is known to have had a lot of graves, but time has erased
      all signs except for two box tombs of large limestone rocks. It is said
      they are the graves of James Hall and his first wife. James Hall was one of
      the earliest settlers in Paint Rock Valley and the ancestor of most Paint
      Rock Valley Halls. He had 16 children some of whom are said to be buried
      here. One of James Hall's daughters, who married a Vandiver, is said to be
      buried here. Others believed to be buried here are:
      Warnie P. Robertson, born ca 1845 and died June 9, 1890. He was killed by
      lightning while working on a barn at Hollytree. His parents, Warren Peter
      Robertson and Frances (Calaway) Robertson are also probably buried here."

      As you can see these authors made no mention of any Prince burial in Prince
      Point Cemetery. However, they prefaced their remarks with the statement
      that the cemetery once had a lot of graves. and "time has erased all signs
      except for two box tombs."

      There is no mention of your John Prince who died about 1828 and his wife
      Nancy in their cemetery book.
      Ann B. Chambless
    • Vicki L. Hill
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 5, 2007
        >I am quoting (verbatim) the info from PAINT ROCK VALLEY PIONEERS by Addie
        >Shaver, Kittye Henshaw, and Evelyn Rochelle:
        >"This cemetery (Prince Point) is located on State Highway 65 by the Grant
        >Barham home.
        >It is in Township 2 South, Range 4 East, Section 16.
        >This old cemetery is known to have had a lot of graves, but time has erased
        >all signs except for two box tombs of large limestone rocks. It is said
        >they are the graves of James Hall and his first wife. James Hall was one of
        >the earliest settlers in Paint Rock Valley and the ancestor of most Paint
        >Rock Valley Halls. He had 16 children some of whom are said to be buried
        >here. One of James Hall's daughters, who married a Vandiver, is said to be
        >buried here.

        Thank you for posting this. The daughter who married a Vandiver was
        Permelia Hall, who married William F. Vandiver. They are my
        g-g-grandparents through daughter Rebecca Jane Vandiver.

        I understand the book "Paint Rock Vally Pioneers" is now out-of-print. If
        anyone knows how to get a copy of it, I would love to get one.

        Vicki Hill
        Texas
        vlhill@...
      • altafae@aol.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 5, 2007
          In a message dated 2/5/2007 12:57:18 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
          vlhill@... writes:

          PAINT ROCK VALLEY PIONEERS

          Does this book have any of the Stephens, Brashear (Brasher Brashar Brazier),
          Weaver, Smith, Cornelison, families in it; I know that Elijah Brazier b 1800
          SC was in Painted Rock in the 1840 census; Blount in 1830.

          cuz Jimmie