Re: [jacksongenealogy] Scottsboro businesses between 1915-1920

  • Patricia Brown
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 4, 2007
      Thanks Clay. I have that information. I was hoping someone might be able to shed more history on it. My mother was Lucille on the census. She married Oddie L. Moss, b. Oct 1913, Jackson Co., son of Elbert S.Moss, b. 1892, Long Island,Jackson Co., son of James W. Moss, b 12 Jul 1835, SC or GA, and died 26 Dec 1915, Section, Jackson Co. William Moore, b 25 Feb 1883 in Tenn, son of William (Base) Moore, b 1861.in TN, who is buried in Section's Bluff cemetery. He was the son of Isaac Moore. There is an Isaac Moore buried in McAnelly Cemetery but I don't know if it is the right one. If anyone can shed any light on any of this I'd appreciate it. Thanks.
      clay gullatt <blackcloud27030@...> wrote: Patsy

      Here they are on the 1920 Census.

      1920 US Census, Scottsboro, Jackson Co. AL
      House 79 Family 101
      William H. Moore 37 TN TN TN Retail Merchant Groceries
      Sallie Wife 39 AL AL AL
      May Dau 16 AL TN AL (rest of child listed same birth states)
      Roy Son 15
      Taylor Son 13
      Hazel Dau 11
      Cecil Dau 9
      Lucile Dau 5
      Jessie Son 3
      Pauline Dau 3months
      Ethel Runyon Neice 15
      Vernon Runyon 9

      In House 86 Family 106 is listed Glen Runyon 5 Nephew with Richard K. 53 and Cather (wife) 39 Hunt.

    • CAROLYN COLE
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 5, 2007
        Pat,

        Did any of your McAnelly family go to San Saba County Texas?
        If so you may want to check "McAnelly Bend Drawstrings"' by
        Grace Hollis Puryear. She descends from Daniel McNair Martin
        who built the old inn at Bellefonte, my ancestor was his brother
        Nathan green Martin There is no index, so it makes it hard to
        do look-ups. Grace lived in Tulsa, Ok. and I have emailed the
        Genealogical Society there to see if they have any of her other books.

        Carolyn Martin Cole
        Natchez, Ms 39120
        Oldest city on the Miss. River

          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 5, 2007
            Hi Carolyn,

            I don't have the families you are discussing in this thread, but I have
            several ancestors and families who ended up in San Saba County, TX.

            Also, my Abbott cousin told me that the answers to some of our WILLIS brick
            walls are in the book you mention, McAnelly Bend Drawstrings. Somehow, the
            Houston library lost their copy, but I think I can find one in Austin, so I
            need to look.

            Some of the families came TN>AL (Benton/Calhoun counties)>AR>TX, and the
            surnames are Willis, Oliver, Abbott, Johnston, and Faver.

            My cousin also has some links to the Puryear line, but I don't know offhand
            how they connect. If you want to write off-board my email is
            cmycats@....

            Thanks, and Pat, I didn't mean to mess-up your thread.

            Pam Cain

            Thanks Clay. I have that information. I was hoping someone might be able to
            shed more history on it. My mother was Lucille on the census. She married
            Oddie L. Moss, b. Oct 1913, Jackson Co., son of Elbert S.Moss, b. 1892, Long
            Island,Jackson Co., son of James W. Moss, b 12 Jul 1835, SC or GA, and died
            26 Dec 1915, Section, Jackson Co. William Moore, b 25 Feb 1883 in Tenn, son
            of William (Base) Moore, b 1861.in TN, who is buried in Section's Bluff
            cemetery. He was the son of Isaac Moore. There is an Isaac Moore buried in
            McAnelly Cemetery but I don't know if it is the right one. If anyone can
            shed any light on any of this I'd appreciate it. Thanks.
            clay gullatt <blackcloud27030@ <mailto:blackcloud27030%40yahoo.com>
            yahoo.com<mailto:blackcloud27030@ <mailto:blackcloud27030%40yahoo.com>
            yahoo.com>> wrote: Patsy