Scottsboro businesses between 1915-1920

  • redhat2patsy
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 3, 2007
      I am researching my grandparents, William H. H. Moore (Willie) b. 25
      Feb 1883 in TN. He was married to Sarah Elizabeth Cummings (Sallie), b
      3 Oct 1878. I believe they were married in 1902 but have not found a
      record of it yet. They had triplets who died in infantcy from whooping
      cough in 1913. I am told that my grandfather had a business on
      courthouse square in Scottsboro during this time, probably a grocery or
      restaurant. Does anyone have a list of businesses during that time or
      any information on this family. Thank you, Patsy Brown
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 3, 2007
        Patsy

        Here they are on the 1920 Census.

        1920 US Census, Scottsboro, Jackson Co. AL
        House 79 Family 101
        William H. Moore 37 TN TN TN Retail Merchant Groceries
        Sallie Wife 39 AL AL AL
        May Dau 16 AL TN AL (rest of child listed same birth states)
        Roy Son 15
        Taylor Son 13
        Hazel Dau 11
        Cecil Dau 9
        Lucile Dau 5
        Jessie Son 3
        Pauline Dau 3months
        Ethel Runyon Neice 15
        Vernon Runyon 9

        In House 86 Family 106 is listed Glen Runyon 5 Nephew with Richard K. 53 and Cather (wife) 39 Hunt.

      • Patricia Brown

          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 5, 2007
            Pat,

            Did any of your McAnelly family go to San Saba County Texas?
            If so you may want to check "McAnelly Bend Drawstrings"' by
            Grace Hollis Puryear. She descends from Daniel McNair Martin
            who built the old inn at Bellefonte, my ancestor was his brother
            Nathan green Martin There is no index, so it makes it hard to
            do look-ups. Grace lived in Tulsa, Ok. and I have emailed the
            Genealogical Society there to see if they have any of her other books.

            Carolyn Martin Cole
            Natchez, Ms 39120
            Oldest city on the Miss. River

              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 5, 2007
                Hi Carolyn,

                I don't have the families you are discussing in this thread, but I have
                several ancestors and families who ended up in San Saba County, TX.

                Also, my Abbott cousin told me that the answers to some of our WILLIS brick
                walls are in the book you mention, McAnelly Bend Drawstrings. Somehow, the
                Houston library lost their copy, but I think I can find one in Austin, so I
                need to look.

                Some of the families came TN>AL (Benton/Calhoun counties)>AR>TX, and the
                surnames are Willis, Oliver, Abbott, Johnston, and Faver.

                My cousin also has some links to the Puryear line, but I don't know offhand
                how they connect. If you want to write off-board my email is
                cmycats@....

                Thanks, and Pat, I didn't mean to mess-up your thread.

                Pam Cain

                Thanks Clay. I have that information. I was hoping someone might be able to
                shed more history on it. My mother was Lucille on the census. She married
                Oddie L. Moss, b. Oct 1913, Jackson Co., son of Elbert S.Moss, b. 1892, Long
                Island,Jackson Co., son of James W. Moss, b 12 Jul 1835, SC or GA, and died
                26 Dec 1915, Section, Jackson Co. William Moore, b 25 Feb 1883 in Tenn, son
                of William (Base) Moore, b 1861.in TN, who is buried in Section's Bluff
                cemetery. He was the son of Isaac Moore. There is an Isaac Moore buried in
                McAnelly Cemetery but I don't know if it is the right one. If anyone can
                shed any light on any of this I'd appreciate it. Thanks.
                clay gullatt <blackcloud27030@ <mailto:blackcloud27030%40yahoo.com>
                yahoo.com<mailto:blackcloud27030@ <mailto:blackcloud27030%40yahoo.com>
                yahoo.com>> wrote: Patsy