[jacksongenealogy] Question re Old Bellefonte Cemetery

  • Ann B. Chambless
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 1, 2007
      Bellefonte Cemetery graves are all in one two-acre plot. The cemetery is slightly elevated above the north side of Alabama Highway 33 and is located about one-fourth mile east of the intersection of U.S. Hwy 72 and AL Hwy 33. The cemetery was contiguous to the business district of old Bellefonte.
      There could be several Civil War veterans buried in Bellefonte Cemetery, but William Grider is the only one currently identified who has an inscriber marker.
      My son and I made photos of most of the engraved markers in October 2006 while I was checking and re-checking my cemetery inventory pursuant to submitting the JCHA's application for inclusion of the Bellefonte Cemetery on the Alabama Register of Historic Cemeteries.
      When Bellefonte was the county seat, the place of execution was the "hanging tree" which was (logically) near the Bellefonte jail. The last court sanctioned execution (documented in county records) in Bellefonte was shortly after the Civil War. As most of you know, the court house and many other Bellefonte buildings were either burned or abused and misused by Federal troops during the Civil War. In one of the first meetings of the Jackson County Commissioners after the Civil War, they cited such damage in their minutes and authorized immediate repairs to the jail.
      Ann B. Chambless

    • zrcb@aol.com
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 1, 2007
        Clay
        I would definitely appreciate it if you could send me the Jackson Co
        megaCem and Guntersville Flooded file. Maybe they have my Ggrandmother Mary
        Boyd on it. I did notice that my Ggrandfather Robert Boyd is on it.
        Thank You
        Chuck Boyd

      • kathy edwards
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 1, 2007
          Clay,
          Can you tell me if there are any Hess names in the Guntersville Reservoir
          Cemetery Relocations File?
          Thanks,
          Kathy

          >From: clay gullatt <blackcloud27030@...>
          >To: jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com
          >Subject: Re: [jacksongenealogy] Old Bellefonte Cemetery
          >Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2007 09:26:31 -0800 (PST)
          >
          >Part of Bellefonte Cemetery was flooded and a number of graves were not
          >moved, the names can be found on the Guntersville Reservoir Cemetery
          >Relocations File at the Group Home website, we have Will Peek to thank for
          >that list. You need a yahoo id to access all the features at the website.
          >If you can't access the site and would like the Jackson Co.MegaCem or
          >Guntersville Flooded File send me an email with your request.
          >
          >Clay

          Valentine�s Day -- Shop for gifts that spell L-O-V-E at MSN Shopping
        • starry3731
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 2, 2007
            can you send me a link to the site?
            Thanks,
            Chip
            --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com, clay gullatt

            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 2, 2007
              Kathy

              Carl Hess in the only one. The list for Guntersville Bellefonte Cemetery appears to be the same list that Ann posted as none of the graves were moved as they were above the high water mark.

              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 2, 2007
                Chip

                Go to Yahoo on the left hand side click on Groups, it will list My Groups, click on jacksongenealogy, under Home click on Links, search down for the cemetery files. Since you have a Yahoo ID you should be able to access all the features there.

                If anyone has Jackson Co. Cemetery photos, tombstone photos or photos of your ancestors from Jackson Co. they may post them here under Photos. You may also post Wills, Settlement of Estates, Bible and Marriage Records, Land Deeds, etc under the Files section. I know a lot of people out there have these let's see what we can get posted. As long as it pertains to Jackson Co. and genealogy.

              • kathy edwards
                Message 7 of 9 , Feb 2, 2007
                  Thank you Clay.

                  http://clk.atdmt.com/MSN/go/msnnkwme0020000001msn/direct/01/?href=http://imagine-msn.com/messenger/launch80/default.aspx?locale=en-us&source=hmtagline