Tombstone Cleaning

    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 31, 2007
      In addition to the advice Ann posted here is a site with the most comprehensive directions I have seen for cleaning tombstones including all the DO NOTS, please read the entire page It also gives hints for reading faded stones and taking rubbings.

      http://tinyurl.com/2ckav5

      If you live in a hard water area I would use distilled water. Test a small area of the stone with whatever you are using to clean the stone and wait a day or two to see if there is any reaction if possible.

      If the tombstone is crumbing or damaged about the only thing you can use is distilled water and a soft brush, be very gentle, especially true for marble and sandstone.

      Using the wrong thing can further damage old deteriorating stones.

      The Kodak Photo-Flo they recommend is available from photo supply stores or Amazon.com.

      I know there are products available for stabilizing marble and stone that is used for floors or in the kitchen or bathroom but I don't know whether they can be used on old tombstones.

    • Sharon Dover Romanek
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 31, 2007
        I cannot get the link to work Clay. Is there something I could be doing wrong?

        Thanks,
        Sharon Dover Romanek
        Primary e-mail: sromanek@...
        Secondary e-mail: sromanek@...

        Researching: WI & IL Romanek, Gucwa, Dover, Shrader, Tyner, Johnston, NC-Williams, NC & AL Edge, NY-Smith, Kirksey, NY-Demers, NY-Murphy, VT-Allen

        I hear ethereal whispers, persuasive,
        soft and still, "Daughter, if you don't
        remember us, who will ?"-----------

        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 31, 2007
          Sharon,
          This is like ESP, your name must have caused a memory, but as I opened the e-mail, I was thinking that I wondered where that "ethereal whisper" quote had gone to.

          I think it is so sweet. One of those ethereal whispers, I guess.

          I shall have to put this somewhere so that I don't lose it again.

          Do you know where it came from?

          Thanks again,
          Jackie

          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 31, 2007
            I'll get it right sooner or later.

            http://www.hickokfamilygenealogy.com/Tombstones_FAQ.html

          • Sharon Dover Romanek
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 31, 2007
              You are welcome Jackie and no I do not know where it came from actually. I got it from someone else I believe. Seems I also got a list of genealogy tags several years ago and it may even have been from that. My previous one was "It's 2007. Do you know where your great great grandparents are?" I thought that was kind of cute too. Glad you like my current one. I think it is a special one as well. You are welcome to us it if you like. Glad to share and would not bother me in the least. BTW, I decided to do a search to see if I could find the origin of this saying and it is all over the Internet on genealogy sites, so it is not just you and I who like it. :-) Enjoy!

              Just found this: http://www.geocities.com/twincousin2334/Genealogy_Poetry_Prose.html
              Favorite Genealogy Poems

              Why Me?

              Why me.......
              This is a tedious task, much work,
              Not a great tree, my family,
              Not any kind of tree,
              A spindly twig......
              A sapling of little importance,
              No forest giant we.

              A pause.

              Ethereal whispers,
              Persuasive, soft and still.
              "Daughter, if you don't remember us......
              Who will?"

              -- Dot Stutter

              Take Care,

                Message 7 of 7 , Jan 31, 2007
                  Thanks to all who contributed info on this!