Re: [jacksongenealogy] New! (Arnold)

  • Patricia Brown
    Message 1 of 17 , Jan 29, 2007
      my ggrandfather Willifm F. H. (Bose) Moore, b Jan 1861 in Tennessee, was married to Sarah Jane Arnold, born Jun 1865, in Tennessee. They were married 24 Dec 1880. She died 15 Dec 1954 and both are buried in Secction, Jackson, Al. There is no headstone just a rock at the head and foot.

      lyndajconner <rexmule69@...> wrote: New to genealogy, computers & groups--triple whammy! Researching
      surnames of ARNOLD in Jackson co. Bear w/ me,
      descended from:
      James Jordan ARNOLD B.02 Dec 1836 Jackson,AL 01 Apr 1897 Jackson
      w) Eleanor Jane MCCOY ABT 1841
      s) James Jerden ARNOLD 15 Oct 1868 Jackson AL 29 Apr 1947
      Jackson AL
      w) Sallie J GAMBLE 16 Nov 1869 Jackson Al 24 May 1936
      Jackson AL
      s) Pearl Wilson ARNOLD 28 Oct 1893 Jackson Al
      w) Myrtle Mineola MCCALL 17 Mar 1900 So. Pittsburg, Marion, TN
      22 Apr 1973 Chattanooga, Hamiton, TN
      d) Doris Jean Arnold JARRETT 03 Jul 1923 living
      So. Pittsburg, Marion,
      TN h) Warren Lee JARRETT 24 Mar 1921 Adairsville, Bartow, GA
      07 Oct 1965 Stuart, Martin, FL
      d) Lynda Jean JARRETT 16 May 1952 Chattanooga, TN

      Researching surnames: ARNOLD, MCCALL, COFFET, JARRETT,
      ARNOLD seems to be a nightmare to locate info. Can anyone help?

      Message 2 of 17 , Jan 30, 2007
        Hi,

        Yes, I am an Arnold descendant. There is a new book out by Steve Arnold
        whose family went to Indiana. All of the Arnolds on Crow Creek are related and,
        for the most part, had large families. I will try to find you an email
        address. Can't seem to locate one at the moment.

        Best Regards,

        Marymac Johnson
        dau. of
        Mary Charlsie Crabtree/Macklin C. Johnson
        dau. of
        Margaret Elizabeth Arnold/Ed Crabtree
        dau. of
        *J. J. "Jurd" Arnold/Sarah Pippin
        son of
        Jeremiah Arnold/Elizabeth Stubblefield
        son of
        James Arnold/?

        *Nephew of your James Jordon Arnold.

        James Arnold was our first ancestor to come into the Crow Creek Valley from
        Hawkins Co., TN along with the Matthews, Looney, Willis and Stewart families.
        He probably came into TN from the Southside of VA.
        Since many of the early records of Hawkins Co., TN have burned, it is
        difficult to find information about them.
        The only other information would come from "The Stevenson Story" written by
        Eliza Woodall that can be purchased from the Depot in Stevenson. Look on
        Stevenson website.

      • lanitass
        Message 3 of 17 , Mar 31, 2007
          RE:
          > my ggrandfather Willifm F. H. (Bose) Moore, b Jan 1861 in Tennessee, was married to
          Sarah Jane Arnold, born Jun 1865, in Tennessee. They were married 24 Dec 1880. She
          died 15 Dec 1954 and both are buried in Secction, Jackson, Al. There is no headstone just
          a rock at the head and foot.

          I am interested in your ARNOLDs in Jackson Co. My Wm. A. ARNOLD was b. 1820 LIncoln
          Co., TN, son of Ralph C. ARNOLD and Jane REID. Ralph was b. 1787. Ralph was son of
          William [OF COURSE, Let's ALL name our son William if our last name is ARNOLD!!! :>)].

          listed in the "ABTRACTS OF REV. WAR PENSION FILES"; pg 81

          William, R272, VA line, appl 17 Nov 1834, b 31 Aug 1749 in Cumberland Cty VA, was
          living in Henry Cty VA at enl then moved to Surry Cty NC then to TN on the Holston River
          for 2 yrs then to Jackson Cty AL for 2 yrs then back to Rutherford Cty TN whre he lived at
          appl

          Lots of info on Wm. A son of Ralph, who moved to Oregon Co., MO after marrying Amanda
          DUBOISE from Jackson Co. Willing to share if we connect!

          Thanks!
          Lanita in MO
        • frances sadler
          Message 4 of 17 , Apr 1, 2007
            Lanita, your William A. Arnold is a brother to my gggrandmother Martha
            (Polly) Arnold Green. Do you have any information on Martha's husband James
            Green? I know he was born in Va. but I don't know who his parents were.
            Would love to hear from you. Frances Landess Sadler
            > > my ggrandfather Willifm F. H. (Bose) Moore, b Jan 1861 in Tennessee, was
            married to
            > Sarah Jane Arnold, born Jun 1865, in Tennessee. They were married 24 Dec
            1880. She
            > died 15 Dec 1954 and both are buried in Secction, Jackson, Al. There is
            no headstone just
            > a rock at the head and foot.
            > >

            > I am interested in your ARNOLDs in Jackson Co. My Wm. A. ARNOLD was b.
            1820 LIncoln
            > Co., TN, son of Ralph C. ARNOLD and Jane REID. Ralph was b. 1787. Ralph
            was son of
            > William [OF COURSE, Let's ALL name our son William if our last name is
            ARNOLD!!! :>)].

            > listed in the "ABTRACTS OF REV. WAR PENSION FILES"; pg 81
            >
            > William, R272, VA line, appl 17 Nov 1834, b 31 Aug 1749 in Cumberland Cty
            VA, was
            > living in Henry Cty VA at enl then moved to Surry Cty NC then to TN on the
            Holston River
            > for 2 yrs then to Jackson Cty AL for 2 yrs then back to Rutherford Cty TN
            whre he lived at
            > appl
            >
            > Lots of info on Wm. A son of Ralph, who moved to Oregon Co., MO after
            marrying Amanda
            > DUBOISE from Jackson Co. Willing to share if we connect!
            >
            > Thanks!
            > Lanita in MO
            >

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Lanita Sconce Smith
            Message 5 of 17 , Apr 1, 2007
              HI Cuz!

              I am thrilled to hear from another new cousin! I don't have any info on
              James GREEN, except that he and Polly were found in the 1850 census in
              Jackson Co., and that he d. 8 Jun 1880 [and she on 22 Sept 1877]. I
              don't know where they are buried.

              Do you have access to ancestry or heritagequest census? I have ancestry
              to try to help, but I haven't researched the Greens at all.

              Do you agree that Martha's parents were Ralph C. ARNOLD and Jane
              REID/REED? If so, who do you have for their parents? Anxious to hear
              from you!

              Lanita in MO

              FYI: I have pic of Wm's grave if you want or need.
            • frances sadler
              Message 6 of 17 , Apr 2, 2007
                Lanita, I do believe that William Arnold was Ralph A. Arnold's father and
                that Ralph A. Arnold and Jane Reid are your William and my gggrandmother
                Martha Arnold Green's parents..I believe it is in the 1830 census for
                Lincoln Co. that the Arnolds and some Greens are in the same area on the
                census. What I have is that Ralph and Jane were married in N.C. where Jane
                was born. They married in 1807. My believe is that the Arnolds and the
                Greens knew each other in Va. My James Green was born in 1805 in Va. Where
                I don't know. James and Martha Arnold Green are buried in Prince Cemetery
                also known as Larkin's Fork.. Maybe we can piece some information together
                that will help us both. Frances Sadler
                > I am thrilled to hear from another new cousin! I don't have any info on
                > James GREEN, except that he and Polly were found in the 1850 census in
                > Jackson Co., and that he d. 8 Jun 1880 [and she on 22 Sept 1877]. I
                > don't know where they are buried.
                >
                > Do you have access to ancestry or heritagequest census? I have ancestry
                > to try to help, but I haven't researched the Greens at all.
                >
                > Do you agree that Martha's parents were Ralph C. ARNOLD and Jane
                > REID/REED? If so, who do you have for their parents? Anxious to hear
                > from you!
                >
                > Lanita in MO
                >
                > FYI: I have pic of Wm's grave if you want or need.
                >

                > Yahoo! Groups Links

              • Lanita Sconce Smith
                Message 7 of 17 , Apr 2, 2007
                  Frances,

                  I have the following:
                  First Generation
                  —————————————————————————————————————————————

                  1. William [3] ARNOLD. Born on 31 Aug 1749 in Cumberland Co. VA. County
                  Line change from Stoke County, NC Is Formed From Surry County, in
                  1789. Was on the census for Stokes County, NC, neighbors are Joseph
                  REED/REID family, in 1790. Was on the census for Rutherford Co., TN, in
                  1810. Was on the census for Murfreesboro, Rutherford Co., TN, in 1820.
                  Was on the census for Rutherford Co., TN [there are 3 listed for
                  Rutherford Co., TN], in 1830. Applied for Rev. War Pension on 17 Nov
                  1834 Rutherford Co., TN. William [3] died in possibly Rutherford Co.,
                  TN, ca 1838; he was 88. Buried in Probably Rutherford Co., TN.

                  Ca 1769 when William [3] was 19, he married Unknown.

                  They had the following children:
                  i. William. Born in 1787 in South Carolina.
                  William married Arey JACOBS.
                  2 ii. Ralph C. (1787-1858)
                  iii. Joel. Born in 1797 in Tennessee. Was on the census for Jackson
                  Co., AL, in 1850.

                  Second Generation
                  —————————————————————————————————————————————
                  Family of William [3] ARNOLD (1) & Unknown

                  2. Ralph C. ARNOLD (William [3]1). Born in 1787 in probably Henry Co.,
                  VA. Was on the census for Lincoln Co., TN, in 1820. Was on the census
                  for Lincoln Co., TN, in 1830. Was on the census for Jackson Co., AL; 2
                  doors down is a family of REEDs, in 1840. Was on the census for Jackson
                  Co., AL, in 1850. Ralph C. died in Jackson Co., AL, in 1858; he was 71.
                  Will was probated in 1859 Jackson Co., Alabama. Occupation: Farmer In
                  1850. Farm Was Worth $800. Residence: They lived at Jackson County, AL.

                  Ca 1805 when Ralph C. was 18, he married Jane REID, daughter of Joseph
                  REID/READ (1760-) & UNKNOWN, in Possibly Stokes Co., NC. Born ca 1787
                  in North Carolina. Was on the census for Jackson Co., AL, in 1840. Was
                  on the census for Jackson Co., AL, in 1850. Was on the census for
                  Jackson Co., Alabama, in 1860. Was on the census for Jackson Co.,
                  Alabama, Living With Her Daughter., in 1870. Jane died in Jackson Co.,
                  Alabama, ca 1876; she was 89.

                  1840 Jackson Co., AL
                  ARNOLD, Ralph, 1 male 10-15, 1 male 15-20, 1 male 40-50, 2 females
                  10-15, 2 females 20-30, 1 female 30-40

                  1870 Jackson Co., AL
                  McCOLLUM, Curtis, age 65
                  Cynthia, age 63
                  Washburn, John, age 53 white
                  McCOLLUM, Mary, age 35, black
                  Lewis, age 13, black
                  Dory, agee 6, black
                  Julia, age 21, black
                  Minirvy, age 6, black
                  ARNOLD, Jane, age 85, listed as black, but she was born in NC and
                  matches Jane, mother of Cynthia

                  They had the following children:
                  i. Elizabeth (~1807-<1859)
                  ii. Mary Aka Polly (1808->1880)
                  iii. Cynthia (1809-1900)
                  iv. Martha [Polly] (1813-1877)
                  v. John (1814->1860)
                  vi. Nancy (1817-<1880)
                  vii. Frances [Fannie] Amanda (~1818-1887)
                  viii. William A. [4] (1820-1873)
                  ix. Ralph C. [JR] (1828->1858)
                  x. Jane (1830-<1880)
                  xi. James (-1825)

                  I have a concern that I may have skipped a generation. I just don't
                  know if 40 years is reasonable amount of years between the birth of a
                  father to a birth of a son, back then.

                  Your thoughts?
                  Lanita
                • dragonriders118
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jun 17, 2007
                    My name is John McCollum Green. I am related to the same Ralph Arnold
                    and Jane Reid Arnold through their daughter Cynthia Arnold who married
                    my gggrandfather Curtis McCollum. Interestingly, another sister married
                    Curtis' brother Barnabas. I believe that a Nancy McCollum was their
                    mother because the 1820 census of Lincoln Cty TN showed a Nancy McCollum
                    with children in the appropriate age and sex categories as they are
                    tabulated in the census records of that time. On the same page is a
                    Ralph Arnold with wife and family also in the proper categories. Of
                    course we need more to be sure. if you are interested in any of the
                    McCollum, I have a lot of info.

                    John
                    --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com, "lanitass" <ozarkn@...> wrote:

                    > RE:
                    > > my ggrandfather Willifm F. H. (Bose) Moore, b Jan 1861 in Tennessee,
                    was married to
                    > Sarah Jane Arnold, born Jun 1865, in Tennessee. They were married 24
                    Dec 1880. She
                    > died 15 Dec 1954 and both are buried in Secction, Jackson, Al. There
                    is no headstone just
                    > a rock at the head and foot.
                    > >

                    > I am interested in your ARNOLDs in Jackson Co. My Wm. A. ARNOLD was
                    b. 1820 LIncoln
                    > Co., TN, son of Ralph C. ARNOLD and Jane REID. Ralph was b. 1787.
                    Ralph was son of
                    > William [OF COURSE, Let's ALL name our son William if our last name
                    is ARNOLD!!! :>)].

                    > listed in the "ABTRACTS OF REV. WAR PENSION FILES"; pg 81
                    >
                    > William, R272, VA line, appl 17 Nov 1834, b 31 Aug 1749 in Cumberland
                    Cty VA, was
                    > living in Henry Cty VA at enl then moved to Surry Cty NC then to TN on
                    the Holston River
                    > for 2 yrs then to Jackson Cty AL for 2 yrs then back to Rutherford Cty
                    TN whre he lived at
                    > appl
                    >
                    > Lots of info on Wm. A son of Ralph, who moved to Oregon Co., MO after
                    marrying Amanda
                    > DUBOISE from Jackson Co. Willing to share if we connect!
                    >
                    > Thanks!
                    > Lanita in MO

                  • dragonriders118
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jun 17, 2007
                      Frances,

                      I don't have any info on James Green, but I am very interested in the
                      decendents of James and his wife Martha Arnold. Is it possible that
                      James had brothers named Marne D., Isaac and Henry? I guess with travel
                      so hard and few neighbors there had to be lots of marriages within an
                      extended family with 8 to 10 surnames.

                      John McCollum Green

                      --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com, "frances sadler" <frances1@...>
                      wrote:

                      > Lanita, your William A. Arnold is a brother to my gggrandmother Martha
                      > (Polly) Arnold Green. Do you have any information on Martha's husband
                      James
                      > Green? I know he was born in Va. but I don't know who his parents
                      were.
                      > Would love to hear from you. Frances Landess Sadler
                      Lincoln