Information on Ellison GOFF family--- District 19 --1850 census

  • goffgirl1850
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 22, 2007
      I am searching for any information on the family of Ellison Goff born
      abt 1798 NC. His wife Hannah was born abt 1898 NC also.
      His children (and not all of them are as follows)
      Nancy abt 1822 TN
      (possible Andrew abt 1824)TN
      Manda abt 1826 TN
      Louisa abt 1828 TN
      Ellison abt 1829 TN
      James abt 1831 AL
      Franklin abt 1835 AL
      Houston abt 1838 TN (he is listed as born AL, but I have a newspsper
      article were he says he was born in Marion County TN)
      Thomas abt 1843 AL
      Levanless abt 1847 AL

      Other possible sons might include: William and Wiley Goff from the
      1840 and 1850 census.

      THERE IS AN ELLISON GOFF IN THE 1810 CENSUS, MONTGOMERY, NC...BUT I
      WOULD ASSUME THIS MIGHT BE HIS FATHER, AS THIS ELLISON WAS BORN ABOUT
      1798.

      From other things I have gathered, Ellison Goff was in the 18th
      Alabama Infantry Volunteers, Confederate, Company C

      I have also found an ELLISON GOFF buried at Price Cemetery in
      Birmingham, Alabama. I am not sure if this is him, but the death date
      is October 29, 1897 Confederate States Army.

      Does anyone have information on this family that they would share?
      Would anyone be willing to look-up any information they could on this
      family?
      Thank you very much,
      Cara
    • Rex Bertram
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 22, 2007
        Maybe this will be of some help. Ellison Goff is listed in Jacosn Co., AL
        in 1830, on page 101 of the census as follows:

        2 males under 5, 1 male 5-9, 1 male 10-14, 1 male 15-19, 1 male 40-49
        2 females 5-9, 1 female 10-14, 1 female 20-29, 1 female 30-39

        Based on the above, there are some children missing from your list. Of
        course it is possible that those male children listed on this 1830 census
        were not his; but the likelyhood is that they were his children.

        Based on the birth places you have listed for Ellison's children, it appears
        likely to me that Ellison would have been in TN in 1820. However, he may
        not have been married yet; or even if he was, could have still been living
        with his parents; and, therefore, would not be listed in the census.

        Since his first few children were born in TN, it seems likely that he and
        Hannah married there.

        In checking the 1820 census index, there are only 9 GOFF households listed.
        There are 3 households in Giles County, 1 in Stewart County, 1 in White
        County, and 4 in Williamson County.

        Giles County is on the AL border, and I would probably check there first.
        Stewart County is all the way up on the KY border, and is not likely where
        Ellison was from. White and Williamson counties are not too far from AL,
        and are probably worth checking in to.

        Rex Bertram
        132 S. Butler St.
        Redkey, IN 47373

        Will research your ancestor at the world's second largest genealogy.
        You give donation, only if I succeed.
        www.digginbones.com/NoRiskProResearch.htm