Re: [jacksongenealogy]Gant, Gullatt, Snodgrass, Mitchell, Metcalf, Thomas, Medford, White, Shelton

    Message 1 of 14 , Dec 14, 2006
      Last Will and Testement of Elizabeth Gant dtd 27 Jan 1864

      In the name of God, Amen, I Elizabeth Gant in the County of Jackson and State of

      Alabama being of sound mind and memory and considering the ??????? of this frail and transitory life I do therefore make ordain publish and declare this to be my last will and testement. That is to say all of my real estate being the NE1/4 of the NE1/4 of Section 26 Township 4 and Range 6 East I give and bequeath to my Grand Children Jane Gant, George Gant, Elizabeth Gant, Nancy Gant and William Gant. I also give to the aforsaid children the following described land and appurtenances, the South?????? of the SE1/4 of Section 23 Township 4 Range 6 East being the place where I now Reside containg in all 80 acres more or less.

      In Witness Whereof I have hereunto
      Subscribed my name and affixed my
      Seal this 27 day January int the Year of Our
      Lord One Thousand Eight Hundred and Sixtyfive

      Elizabeth x Gant (Seal)

      Elizabeth Gant was a daughter of John and Manerva Catherine Yancy (Mitchell) Gullatt. Elizabeth b. 1799/1800 VA died 1864 Bellefonte, Jackson Co. AL. The first name of her Gant husband is unknown.

      Her will was not probated until 11 Mar 1873.

      In the Petition of Probate 11 Mar 1873 by Manerva Gant (wife of John Gant) it is stated that the Grandchildren mentioned in the will are the children of John Gant and that John was son of Elizabeth Gant. Also mentioned as heirs are Blunt Gant, Mary Snodgrass, wife of Elijah Snodgrass non-residents of this state. Also mentions that Nancy Gant is now Nancy Mitchell.

      Blunt? Gant (is this Jasper?) and Mary Snodgrass were also children of Elizabeth (Gullatt) Gant. I am unsure of the name Blunt as the only other known son of Elizabeth was Jasper N. Gant. All the Grandchildren are not mentioned (Joseph Jefferson the youngest) in the will. I have Jasper Gant's war record but there is no mention of any family members.

      I received the above from cousin Tim Gant. I am posting it for the rest of my Gant cousins as there has been some question as to the Gullatt/Gant relationship. It had been thought by some that John Gant's wife Manerva was a Gullatt but I have concluded that Manerva's last named is Unknown and the Gullatt connection is through John Gant. John and Manerva's marriage records were apparently burned during the Civil War.

      Does anyone know anything of Elijah Snodgrass?

      John and Sarah Manerva "Sally" Gant's Children

      Sarah Jane b. 1848 m. George W. Metcalf
      George Washington b. 30 Sep 1850 m. Mary E. Thomas
      Mary Elizabeth "Betsy" 1852 m. Tom M. Medford
      Nancy Ann b. 25 Feb 1853 m. Henry T. Mitchell
      William M. b. 1856 m. Mary M. White
      Joseph Jefferson b. 4 Aug 1859 m. 1. Elizabeth Shelton 2. Manerva Addie Shelton (were they sisters?)

      Does anyone connect to the above spouses?

      Clay Gullatt

    • Mark
      Message 2 of 14 , Nov 1, 2007
        --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com, clay gullatt
        <blackcloud27030@...> wrote:

        > Last Will and Testement of Elizabeth Gant dtd 27 Jan 1864
        >
        > In the name of God, Amen, I Elizabeth Gant in the County of
        Jackson and State of

        > Alabama being of sound mind and memory and considering the ???????
        of this frail and transitory life I do therefore make ordain publish
        and declare this to be my last will and testement. That is to say
        all of my real estate being the NE1/4 of the NE1/4 of Section 26
        Township 4 and Range 6 East I give and bequeath to my Grand Children
        Jane Gant, George Gant, Elizabeth Gant, Nancy Gant and William Gant.
        I also give to the aforsaid children the following described land
        and appurtenances, the South?????? of the SE1/4 of Section 23
        Township 4 Range 6 East being the place where I now Reside containg
        in all 80 acres more or less.

        > In Witness Whereof I have hereunto
        > Subscribed my name and affixed my
        > Seal this 27 day January int the Year of Our
        > Lord One Thousand Eight Hundred and Sixtyfive
        >
        > Elizabeth x Gant (Seal)
        >
        > Elizabeth Gant was a daughter of John and Manerva Catherine Yancy
        (Mitchell) Gullatt. Elizabeth b. 1799/1800 VA died 1864 Bellefonte,
        Jackson Co. AL. The first name of her Gant husband is unknown.

        > Her will was not probated until 11 Mar 1873.
        >
        > In the Petition of Probate 11 Mar 1873 by Manerva Gant (wife of
        John Gant) it is stated that the Grandchildren mentioned in the will
        are the children of John Gant and that John was son of Elizabeth
        Gant. Also mentioned as heirs are Blunt Gant, Mary Snodgrass, wife
        of Elijah Snodgrass non-residents of this state. Also mentions that
        Nancy Gant is now Nancy Mitchell.

        > Blunt? Gant (is this Jasper?) and Mary Snodgrass were also
        children of Elizabeth (Gullatt) Gant. I am unsure of the name Blunt
        as the only other known son of Elizabeth was Jasper N. Gant. All the
        Grandchildren are not mentioned (Joseph Jefferson the youngest) in
        the will. I have Jasper Gant's war record but there is no mention of
        any family members.

        > I received the above from cousin Tim Gant. I am posting it for the
        rest of my Gant cousins as there has been some question as to the
        Gullatt/Gant relationship. It had been thought by some that John
        Gant's wife Manerva was a Gullatt but I have concluded that
        Manerva's last named is Unknown and the Gullatt connection is
        through John Gant. John and Manerva's marriage records were
        apparently burned during the Civil War.

        > Does anyone know anything of Elijah Snodgrass?
        >
        > John and Sarah Manerva "Sally" Gant's Children
        >
        > Sarah Jane b. 1848 m. George W. Metcalf
        > George Washington b. 30 Sep 1850 m. Mary E. Thomas
        > Mary Elizabeth "Betsy" 1852 m. Tom M. Medford
        > Nancy Ann b. 25 Feb 1853 m. Henry T. Mitchell
        > William M. b. 1856 m. Mary M. White
        > Joseph Jefferson b. 4 Aug 1859 m. 1. Elizabeth Shelton 2. Manerva
        Addie Shelton (were they sisters?)

        > Does anyone connect to the above spouses?
        >
        > Clay Gullatt

        The brother of George W.Metcalf was Jasper N. Metcalf and he married
        Sarah Thomas, the sister of my great grandfather, Samuel Bradford
        Thomas.I have some, very little information on these folks.

        These seem to be some of the people buried at Gant Cemetery, if so,
        I'm sure they are my family.