Re: Michael Thomas Mitchell/Elizabeth Jane Swaim

  • cmitchellbox
    Message 1 of 14 , Dec 14, 2006
      YES I have found your Michael Swaim with slightly different info but
      they are my Swaims. I stumbled onto a web site that showed 426
      Swaims! I'ved only just begun researching.
      ID: I2307
      Name: Michael Swaim
      Sex: M
      Birth: ABT 1755 in ,Rowan,North Carolina
      Death: ABT 1840 in ,Guilford,North Carolina
      Marriage 1 Sarah Rigdon b: ABT 1758 in of,Guilford,North Carolina
      Married: 24 JUL 1775 in ,Guilford,North Carolina
      Note: !this list of children of Michael SWAIM & Sarah RIGDON is
      incomplete
      Children
      Levi Swaim b: ABT 1776 in ,Guilford,North Carolina
      William Swaim b: ABT 1778 in ,Guilford,North Carolina
      Michael Swaim b: 17 FEB 1781 in ,Guilford,North Carolina
      John Enoch Swaim b: 3 APR 1782 in ,Guilford,North Carolina
      Silas Swaim b: ABT 1785 in ,Guilford,North Carolina
      Sarah Swaim b: 29 SEP 1787 in ,Guilford,North Carolina

      --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com, "cmitchellbox"
      <cmitchellbox@...> wrote:

      > --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com, altafae@ wrote:
      > >
      > > I was just working on my Sanders, and came across this name - do
      > you believe
      > > these Swaim have anything to do with Elizabeth Jane?
      > >

      > > Descendants of Michael Swaim
      > >

      > > Generation No. 1
      > >
      > > 1. MICHAEL1 SWAIM was born 1752 in Rowan, NC, USA, and died
      > 1800 in
      > > Guilford, NC, USA. He married SARAH RIGDON. She was born 1758
      > in Guilford, NC,
      > > USA, and died 1810 in Guilford, NC, USA.
      > > Child of MICHAEL SWAIM and SARAH RIGDON is:
      > > 2. i. SILAS2 SWAIM, b. 1790, Guilford, NC, USA; d.
      > 1849,
      > > Jackson, AL, USA.
      > >
      > > Generation No. 2
      > >
      > > 2. SILAS2 SWAIM (MICHAEL1) was born 1790 in Guilford, NC,
      USA,
      > and died
      > > 1849 in Jackson, AL, USA. He married (1) TEMPERANCE WALL 02
      Nov
      > 1831 in
      > > Randolph, NC, USA. She was born 1800 in Randolph, NC, USA, and
      > died 1860 in
      > > Jackson, AL, USA. He married (2) CATHERINE JONES 30 Jul
      1805.
      > She was born
      > > 1788 in Guilford, NC, USA, and died 1830 in Randolph, NC, USA.
      > > More About SILAS SWAIM and TEMPERANCE WALL:
      > > Marriage: 02 Nov 1831, Randolph, NC, USA
      > > More About SILAS SWAIM and CATHERINE JONES:
      > > Marriage: 30 Jul 1805
      > > Children of SILAS SWAIM and TEMPERANCE WALL are:
      > > i. DANIEL3 SWAIM, b. 1832, Jackson, AL, USA; d. 1880, AL,
      USA.
      > > ii. SILAS CHRISTOPHER SWAIM, b. 25 Dec 1833, NC, USA; d. 27
      > Jan 1914,
      > > Jackson, AL, USA.
      > > iii. MARTHA SWAIM, b. 1836, NC, USA.
      > > iv. NANCY SWAIM, b. 1840, NC, USA.
      > > Children of SILAS SWAIM and CATHERINE JONES are:
      > > 3. v. MICHAEL3 SWAIM, b. 1801, NC, USA; d. 07 Apr
      > 1860,
      > > Montgomery, AR, USA.
      > > 4. vi. JESSE ABNER SWAIM, b. 22 Jun 1819, NC, USA.
      > > vii. SWAIM, b. 1821, NC, USA.
      > >
      > > Generation No. 3
      > >
      > > 3. MICHAEL3 SWAIM (SILAS2, MICHAEL1) was born 1801 in NC,
      > USA, and died
      > > 07 Apr 1860 in Montgomery, AR, USA. He married REBECCA
      SANDERS
      > 1835,
      > > daughter of GEORGE SANDERS and PHOEBE SAUNDERS. She was born
      > 05 Jan 1807 in
      > > Randolph, NC, USA, and died 1860 in Sulphur Springs,
      Montgomery,
      > AR, USA.
      > > More About MICHAEL SWAIM:
      > > Residence: 1850, Not Stated, Marion, Arkansas
      > > More About MICHAEL SWAIM and REBECCA SANDERS:
      > > Marriage: 1835
      > > Children of MICHAEL SWAIM and REBECCA SANDERS are:
      > > i. PHOEBE CATHERINE4 SWAIM, b. 1832, AL, USA.
      > > ii. GEORGE S SWAIM, b. 1834, AL, USA.
      > > iii. SYLAS W SWAIM, b. 1836, Marion, AR, USA.
      > > iv. MARY JANE SWAIN, b. 1839, AL, USA; d. Mt Ida,
      Montgomery,

      Message 2 of 14 , Dec 14, 2006
        Last Will and Testement of Elizabeth Gant dtd 27 Jan 1864

        In the name of God, Amen, I Elizabeth Gant in the County of Jackson and State of

        Alabama being of sound mind and memory and considering the ??????? of this frail and transitory life I do therefore make ordain publish and declare this to be my last will and testement. That is to say all of my real estate being the NE1/4 of the NE1/4 of Section 26 Township 4 and Range 6 East I give and bequeath to my Grand Children Jane Gant, George Gant, Elizabeth Gant, Nancy Gant and William Gant. I also give to the aforsaid children the following described land and appurtenances, the South?????? of the SE1/4 of Section 23 Township 4 Range 6 East being the place where I now Reside containg in all 80 acres more or less.

        In Witness Whereof I have hereunto
        Subscribed my name and affixed my
        Seal this 27 day January int the Year of Our
        Lord One Thousand Eight Hundred and Sixtyfive

        Elizabeth x Gant (Seal)

        Elizabeth Gant was a daughter of John and Manerva Catherine Yancy (Mitchell) Gullatt. Elizabeth b. 1799/1800 VA died 1864 Bellefonte, Jackson Co. AL. The first name of her Gant husband is unknown.

        Her will was not probated until 11 Mar 1873.

        In the Petition of Probate 11 Mar 1873 by Manerva Gant (wife of John Gant) it is stated that the Grandchildren mentioned in the will are the children of John Gant and that John was son of Elizabeth Gant. Also mentioned as heirs are Blunt Gant, Mary Snodgrass, wife of Elijah Snodgrass non-residents of this state. Also mentions that Nancy Gant is now Nancy Mitchell.

        Blunt? Gant (is this Jasper?) and Mary Snodgrass were also children of Elizabeth (Gullatt) Gant. I am unsure of the name Blunt as the only other known son of Elizabeth was Jasper N. Gant. All the Grandchildren are not mentioned (Joseph Jefferson the youngest) in the will. I have Jasper Gant's war record but there is no mention of any family members.

        I received the above from cousin Tim Gant. I am posting it for the rest of my Gant cousins as there has been some question as to the Gullatt/Gant relationship. It had been thought by some that John Gant's wife Manerva was a Gullatt but I have concluded that Manerva's last named is Unknown and the Gullatt connection is through John Gant. John and Manerva's marriage records were apparently burned during the Civil War.

        Does anyone know anything of Elijah Snodgrass?

        John and Sarah Manerva "Sally" Gant's Children

        Sarah Jane b. 1848 m. George W. Metcalf
        George Washington b. 30 Sep 1850 m. Mary E. Thomas
        Mary Elizabeth "Betsy" 1852 m. Tom M. Medford
        Nancy Ann b. 25 Feb 1853 m. Henry T. Mitchell
        William M. b. 1856 m. Mary M. White
        Joseph Jefferson b. 4 Aug 1859 m. 1. Elizabeth Shelton 2. Manerva Addie Shelton (were they sisters?)

        Does anyone connect to the above spouses?

        Clay Gullatt

      • Mark
        Message 3 of 14 , Nov 1, 2007
          --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com, clay gullatt
          <blackcloud27030@...> wrote:

          > Last Will and Testement of Elizabeth Gant dtd 27 Jan 1864
          >
          > In the name of God, Amen, I Elizabeth Gant in the County of
          Jackson and State of

          > Alabama being of sound mind and memory and considering the ???????
          of this frail and transitory life I do therefore make ordain publish
          and declare this to be my last will and testement. That is to say
          all of my real estate being the NE1/4 of the NE1/4 of Section 26
          Township 4 and Range 6 East I give and bequeath to my Grand Children
          Jane Gant, George Gant, Elizabeth Gant, Nancy Gant and William Gant.
          I also give to the aforsaid children the following described land
          and appurtenances, the South?????? of the SE1/4 of Section 23
          Township 4 Range 6 East being the place where I now Reside containg
          in all 80 acres more or less.

          > In Witness Whereof I have hereunto
          > Subscribed my name and affixed my
          > Seal this 27 day January int the Year of Our
          > Lord One Thousand Eight Hundred and Sixtyfive
          >
          > Elizabeth x Gant (Seal)
          >
          > Elizabeth Gant was a daughter of John and Manerva Catherine Yancy
          (Mitchell) Gullatt. Elizabeth b. 1799/1800 VA died 1864 Bellefonte,
          Jackson Co. AL. The first name of her Gant husband is unknown.

          > Her will was not probated until 11 Mar 1873.
          >
          > In the Petition of Probate 11 Mar 1873 by Manerva Gant (wife of
          John Gant) it is stated that the Grandchildren mentioned in the will
          are the children of John Gant and that John was son of Elizabeth
          Gant. Also mentioned as heirs are Blunt Gant, Mary Snodgrass, wife
          of Elijah Snodgrass non-residents of this state. Also mentions that
          Nancy Gant is now Nancy Mitchell.

          > Blunt? Gant (is this Jasper?) and Mary Snodgrass were also
          children of Elizabeth (Gullatt) Gant. I am unsure of the name Blunt
          as the only other known son of Elizabeth was Jasper N. Gant. All the
          Grandchildren are not mentioned (Joseph Jefferson the youngest) in
          the will. I have Jasper Gant's war record but there is no mention of
          any family members.

          > I received the above from cousin Tim Gant. I am posting it for the
          rest of my Gant cousins as there has been some question as to the
          Gullatt/Gant relationship. It had been thought by some that John
          Gant's wife Manerva was a Gullatt but I have concluded that
          Manerva's last named is Unknown and the Gullatt connection is
          through John Gant. John and Manerva's marriage records were
          apparently burned during the Civil War.

          > Does anyone know anything of Elijah Snodgrass?
          >
          > John and Sarah Manerva "Sally" Gant's Children
          >
          > Sarah Jane b. 1848 m. George W. Metcalf
          > George Washington b. 30 Sep 1850 m. Mary E. Thomas
          > Mary Elizabeth "Betsy" 1852 m. Tom M. Medford
          > Nancy Ann b. 25 Feb 1853 m. Henry T. Mitchell
          > William M. b. 1856 m. Mary M. White
          > Joseph Jefferson b. 4 Aug 1859 m. 1. Elizabeth Shelton 2. Manerva
          Addie Shelton (were they sisters?)

          > Does anyone connect to the above spouses?
          >
          > Clay Gullatt

          The brother of George W.Metcalf was Jasper N. Metcalf and he married
          Sarah Thomas, the sister of my great grandfather, Samuel Bradford
          Thomas.I have some, very little information on these folks.

          These seem to be some of the people buried at Gant Cemetery, if so,
          I'm sure they are my family.