Re: Michael Thomas Mitchell/Elizabeth Jane Swaim

  • cmitchellbox
    Message 1 of 14 , Dec 8, 2006
      --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com, Charlotte
      <cmitchellbox@...> wrote:

      > Good info but this is Michael Mitchell's siblings except his
      marriage to Elizabeth in Jan 19 1868. Here are details of Micheal
      Thomas/Elizabeth Swaim:
      > Michael T Mitchell
      > Birth: 29 APR 1843 , Warren, Tennessee
      > Death: 30 OCT 1905(Death: 30 OCT 1905 in Little Rock,Pulaski
      County,Arkansas - on some1's family tree) I show him in AL in 1900
      > Elizabeth J Swaim
      > Birth: 22 Jun 1850 ,Jackson, AL
      > Death: 10 Jun 1910, Lonoke, AR
      > Children
      > 1. Jonathan H Mitchell
      > Birth: 19 OCT 1868 , , Alabama
      > Death: 27 May 1959 Houston, Smith County, Texas buried in Houston
      >
      > 2. Moses C Mitchell
      > Birth: 10 DEC 1870 , , Alabama
      > Death: 24 Jan 1943 in Pulaski, Arkansas
      > CARNOR*, (Ms) DANE 24 MITCHELL, M.C. 36 17-NOV-1915 Q-601
      > http://www.rootsweb.com/~arlonoke/marriage_index_c_and_d.htm
      > GANDY, (M) ALICE 25 MITCHELL, M.C. 22 17-JAN-1893 G-356
      > http://www.rootsweb.com/~arlonoke/marriage_index_g.htm
      >
      > 3. Mary Jane Mitchell
      > Birth: 10 DEC 1872 , , Alabama
      > Death: 20 SEP 1896 Of, , Jackson, Alabama
      > Spouse: Bradford, 1890 Jackson, AL
      > MITCHELL, MARY 18 BRADFORD, FELIX 23 31-DEC-1890 F-541 (found on:
      > http://www.rootsweb.com/~arlonoke/marriage_index_m.htm) Also on
      marriage records in AR
      > 4. Martha L Mitchell
      > Birth: 20 NOV 1877 , , Alabama
      > Death: 17 SEP 1905 Of, , Jackson, Alabama
      > married a Shrivers @ 1901 in Jackson Alabama.
      >
      > 5. Thomas V Mitchell
      > Birth: 16 FEB 1876 , , Alabama
      >
      > 6. Maoma A Mitchell (twin)
      > Birth: 1878 , Jackson, Alabama
      > 7. Unavailable <<probably Sarah F.(twin)
      > Birth: 1878, Jackson, Alabama
      > Susan F Mitchell Compact Disc #116 Pin #445265 <<WRONG
      NAME

      > Birth: 16 Aug 1878 Place: , , Jackson, Alabama
      >
      > 8. Susan Mitchell
      > Birth: 16 AUG 1881 , Jackson, Alabama
      > Death: 15 JUN 1906
      > Spouse: Baird, abt 1901 Jackson, AL
      >
      > 9. Seaborn Mitchell (spelled Seborne in 1900 in AR)
      > Birth: 21 JAN 1884 , Jackson, Alabama
      > Death: 30 MAR 1903
      > (on 1900 census shows birth: Feb 1884 and birth in AR)
      >
      > Nothing verified above except on Johnathan, Moses, Elizabeth's
      death; everything else has been researching which I put info as I
      found it. Ring any bells now?
      > Charlotte
      >

      > clay gullatt <blackcloud27030@...> wrote:
      > In order to help see if anyone connects to this Mitchell
      family here is some census and marriage info for them.

      > 1850 Dist 8 Warren Co. TN
      > House/Family 1371
      > Thomas Mitchael 41 Farmer TN
      > Mary J. 29 TN
      > Thomas 7 (this is Michael Thomas Mitchell) All children b. TN
      > Johnathan 5
      > Martha J. 3
      > Nancy E. 1
      > William Whorton 22 Farmer TN
      > Mary J. Custer 23 TN
      >
      > 1860 Scottsboro Jackson Co. AL
      > House/Family 615
      > Thomas Mitchell 50 Farmer NC
      > Mary 42 TN
      > Michael 17 TN
      > Jonathan 15 TN
      > Martha 13 TN
      > Elizabeth 11 TN
      > Salley 5 TN
      > Mary 2 AL
      >
      > 1870 Larkinsville Jackson Co. AL
      > House/Family 119
      > Thos. J. Mitchell 61 Farmer NC
      > Mary J. 50 Keeping House TN
      > Sallie 15 At Home TN
      > Virgil Wood 28 Minister AL
      > Martha J. Wood 22 TN (Martha J. Mitchell)
      > Alexander Wood 2 AL
      >
      > House/Family 120
      > John W. Mitchell 25 Farmer TN (Jonathon Mitchell)
      > Sarah L. 21 Keeping House TN
      > Thomas S. 7months AL
      >
      > House/Family 121
      > Thos. Mitchell 27 Farmer AL? (should be TN)
      > Elizabeth J. 20 Keeping House AL
      > Jonathan 1 AL
      >
      > Marriages Jackson Co. AL
      > Jonathan W. Mitchell m. Evaline E. Brewer 10 Jan 1866 OS Page 332
      >
      > Michael J. Mitchell m. Elizabeth Swain 19 Jan 1868 OS Page 581
      >
      > Johathan W. Mitchell m. Sarah L. Bishop Jan 1869 OS Page 699
      >
      > Virgil Y. Wood m. Martha J. Mitchell 20 Aug 1865 OS Page 269
      >
      > Jacob L. Kennamer m. Sallie W. Mitchell 23 Dec 1880 OS Page 534
      >
      > S.G. Kennarmer m. Nancy E. Mitchell 08 Apr 1869 OS Page 736
      >
      > Was Neoma Swain, mother of Elizabeth Jane, the wife of George
      Swain who was the son of Moses Swain b. 1800 NC? She was listed as
      Ema 23 on the 1850 with George Swain 26 and Moses Swain 3?

      > Clay

      Since I am at so many road blocks on finding my Grandpa's (Johnathan
      Holmes b 19 Oct 1868)immediate family as previously stated, I've
      decided to work on his grandfather, the above info, Thomas Jefferson
      Mitchell, b 23 Jul 1809 in Warren, TN, d 10 Apr 1897 Jackson, AL.
      Thx for the info, I now have 1850 thru 1880 census.
      Charlotte
    • cmitchellbox
      Message 2 of 14 , Dec 14, 2006
        YES I have found your Michael Swaim with slightly different info but
        they are my Swaims. I stumbled onto a web site that showed 426
        Swaims! I'ved only just begun researching.
        ID: I2307
        Name: Michael Swaim
        Sex: M
        Birth: ABT 1755 in ,Rowan,North Carolina
        Death: ABT 1840 in ,Guilford,North Carolina
        Marriage 1 Sarah Rigdon b: ABT 1758 in of,Guilford,North Carolina
        Married: 24 JUL 1775 in ,Guilford,North Carolina
        Note: !this list of children of Michael SWAIM & Sarah RIGDON is
        incomplete
        Children
        Levi Swaim b: ABT 1776 in ,Guilford,North Carolina
        William Swaim b: ABT 1778 in ,Guilford,North Carolina
        Michael Swaim b: 17 FEB 1781 in ,Guilford,North Carolina
        John Enoch Swaim b: 3 APR 1782 in ,Guilford,North Carolina
        Silas Swaim b: ABT 1785 in ,Guilford,North Carolina
        Sarah Swaim b: 29 SEP 1787 in ,Guilford,North Carolina

        --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com, "cmitchellbox"
        <cmitchellbox@...> wrote:

        > --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com, altafae@ wrote:
        > >
        > > I was just working on my Sanders, and came across this name - do
        > you believe
        > > these Swaim have anything to do with Elizabeth Jane?
        > >

        > > Descendants of Michael Swaim
        > >

        > > Generation No. 1
        > >
        > > 1. MICHAEL1 SWAIM was born 1752 in Rowan, NC, USA, and died
        > 1800 in
        > > Guilford, NC, USA. He married SARAH RIGDON. She was born 1758
        > in Guilford, NC,
        > > USA, and died 1810 in Guilford, NC, USA.
        > > Child of MICHAEL SWAIM and SARAH RIGDON is:
        > > 2. i. SILAS2 SWAIM, b. 1790, Guilford, NC, USA; d.
        > 1849,
        > > Jackson, AL, USA.
        > >
        > > Generation No. 2
        > >
        > > 2. SILAS2 SWAIM (MICHAEL1) was born 1790 in Guilford, NC,
        USA,
        > and died
        > > 1849 in Jackson, AL, USA. He married (1) TEMPERANCE WALL 02
        Nov
        > 1831 in
        > > Randolph, NC, USA. She was born 1800 in Randolph, NC, USA, and
        > died 1860 in
        > > Jackson, AL, USA. He married (2) CATHERINE JONES 30 Jul
        1805.
        > She was born
        > > 1788 in Guilford, NC, USA, and died 1830 in Randolph, NC, USA.
        > > More About SILAS SWAIM and TEMPERANCE WALL:
        > > Marriage: 02 Nov 1831, Randolph, NC, USA
        > > More About SILAS SWAIM and CATHERINE JONES:
        > > Marriage: 30 Jul 1805
        > > Children of SILAS SWAIM and TEMPERANCE WALL are:
        > > i. DANIEL3 SWAIM, b. 1832, Jackson, AL, USA; d. 1880, AL,
        USA.
        > > ii. SILAS CHRISTOPHER SWAIM, b. 25 Dec 1833, NC, USA; d. 27
        > Jan 1914,
        > > Jackson, AL, USA.
        > > iii. MARTHA SWAIM, b. 1836, NC, USA.
        > > iv. NANCY SWAIM, b. 1840, NC, USA.
        > > Children of SILAS SWAIM and CATHERINE JONES are:
        > > 3. v. MICHAEL3 SWAIM, b. 1801, NC, USA; d. 07 Apr
        > 1860,
        > > Montgomery, AR, USA.
        > > 4. vi. JESSE ABNER SWAIM, b. 22 Jun 1819, NC, USA.
        > > vii. SWAIM, b. 1821, NC, USA.
        > >
        > > Generation No. 3
        > >
        > > 3. MICHAEL3 SWAIM (SILAS2, MICHAEL1) was born 1801 in NC,
        > USA, and died
        > > 07 Apr 1860 in Montgomery, AR, USA. He married REBECCA
        SANDERS
        > 1835,
        > > daughter of GEORGE SANDERS and PHOEBE SAUNDERS. She was born
        > 05 Jan 1807 in
        > > Randolph, NC, USA, and died 1860 in Sulphur Springs,
        Montgomery,
        > AR, USA.
        > > More About MICHAEL SWAIM:
        > > Residence: 1850, Not Stated, Marion, Arkansas
        > > More About MICHAEL SWAIM and REBECCA SANDERS:
        > > Marriage: 1835
        > > Children of MICHAEL SWAIM and REBECCA SANDERS are:
        > > i. PHOEBE CATHERINE4 SWAIM, b. 1832, AL, USA.
        > > ii. GEORGE S SWAIM, b. 1834, AL, USA.
        > > iii. SYLAS W SWAIM, b. 1836, Marion, AR, USA.
        > > iv. MARY JANE SWAIN, b. 1839, AL, USA; d. Mt Ida,
        Montgomery,

        Message 3 of 14 , Dec 14, 2006
          Last Will and Testement of Elizabeth Gant dtd 27 Jan 1864

          In the name of God, Amen, I Elizabeth Gant in the County of Jackson and State of

          Alabama being of sound mind and memory and considering the ??????? of this frail and transitory life I do therefore make ordain publish and declare this to be my last will and testement. That is to say all of my real estate being the NE1/4 of the NE1/4 of Section 26 Township 4 and Range 6 East I give and bequeath to my Grand Children Jane Gant, George Gant, Elizabeth Gant, Nancy Gant and William Gant. I also give to the aforsaid children the following described land and appurtenances, the South?????? of the SE1/4 of Section 23 Township 4 Range 6 East being the place where I now Reside containg in all 80 acres more or less.

          In Witness Whereof I have hereunto
          Subscribed my name and affixed my
          Seal this 27 day January int the Year of Our
          Lord One Thousand Eight Hundred and Sixtyfive

          Elizabeth x Gant (Seal)

          Elizabeth Gant was a daughter of John and Manerva Catherine Yancy (Mitchell) Gullatt. Elizabeth b. 1799/1800 VA died 1864 Bellefonte, Jackson Co. AL. The first name of her Gant husband is unknown.

          Her will was not probated until 11 Mar 1873.

          In the Petition of Probate 11 Mar 1873 by Manerva Gant (wife of John Gant) it is stated that the Grandchildren mentioned in the will are the children of John Gant and that John was son of Elizabeth Gant. Also mentioned as heirs are Blunt Gant, Mary Snodgrass, wife of Elijah Snodgrass non-residents of this state. Also mentions that Nancy Gant is now Nancy Mitchell.

          Blunt? Gant (is this Jasper?) and Mary Snodgrass were also children of Elizabeth (Gullatt) Gant. I am unsure of the name Blunt as the only other known son of Elizabeth was Jasper N. Gant. All the Grandchildren are not mentioned (Joseph Jefferson the youngest) in the will. I have Jasper Gant's war record but there is no mention of any family members.

          I received the above from cousin Tim Gant. I am posting it for the rest of my Gant cousins as there has been some question as to the Gullatt/Gant relationship. It had been thought by some that John Gant's wife Manerva was a Gullatt but I have concluded that Manerva's last named is Unknown and the Gullatt connection is through John Gant. John and Manerva's marriage records were apparently burned during the Civil War.

          Does anyone know anything of Elijah Snodgrass?

          John and Sarah Manerva "Sally" Gant's Children

          Sarah Jane b. 1848 m. George W. Metcalf
          George Washington b. 30 Sep 1850 m. Mary E. Thomas
          Mary Elizabeth "Betsy" 1852 m. Tom M. Medford
          Nancy Ann b. 25 Feb 1853 m. Henry T. Mitchell
          William M. b. 1856 m. Mary M. White
          Joseph Jefferson b. 4 Aug 1859 m. 1. Elizabeth Shelton 2. Manerva Addie Shelton (were they sisters?)

          Does anyone connect to the above spouses?

          Clay Gullatt

        • Mark
          Message 4 of 14 , Nov 1, 2007
            --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com, clay gullatt
            <blackcloud27030@...> wrote:

            > Last Will and Testement of Elizabeth Gant dtd 27 Jan 1864
            >
            > In the name of God, Amen, I Elizabeth Gant in the County of
            Jackson and State of

            > Alabama being of sound mind and memory and considering the ???????
            of this frail and transitory life I do therefore make ordain publish
            and declare this to be my last will and testement. That is to say
            all of my real estate being the NE1/4 of the NE1/4 of Section 26
            Township 4 and Range 6 East I give and bequeath to my Grand Children
            Jane Gant, George Gant, Elizabeth Gant, Nancy Gant and William Gant.
            I also give to the aforsaid children the following described land
            and appurtenances, the South?????? of the SE1/4 of Section 23
            Township 4 Range 6 East being the place where I now Reside containg
            in all 80 acres more or less.

            > In Witness Whereof I have hereunto
            > Subscribed my name and affixed my
            > Seal this 27 day January int the Year of Our
            > Lord One Thousand Eight Hundred and Sixtyfive
            >
            > Elizabeth x Gant (Seal)
            >
            > Elizabeth Gant was a daughter of John and Manerva Catherine Yancy
            (Mitchell) Gullatt. Elizabeth b. 1799/1800 VA died 1864 Bellefonte,
            Jackson Co. AL. The first name of her Gant husband is unknown.

            > Her will was not probated until 11 Mar 1873.
            >
            > In the Petition of Probate 11 Mar 1873 by Manerva Gant (wife of
            John Gant) it is stated that the Grandchildren mentioned in the will
            are the children of John Gant and that John was son of Elizabeth
            Gant. Also mentioned as heirs are Blunt Gant, Mary Snodgrass, wife
            of Elijah Snodgrass non-residents of this state. Also mentions that
            Nancy Gant is now Nancy Mitchell.

            > Blunt? Gant (is this Jasper?) and Mary Snodgrass were also
            children of Elizabeth (Gullatt) Gant. I am unsure of the name Blunt
            as the only other known son of Elizabeth was Jasper N. Gant. All the
            Grandchildren are not mentioned (Joseph Jefferson the youngest) in
            the will. I have Jasper Gant's war record but there is no mention of
            any family members.

            > I received the above from cousin Tim Gant. I am posting it for the
            rest of my Gant cousins as there has been some question as to the
            Gullatt/Gant relationship. It had been thought by some that John
            Gant's wife Manerva was a Gullatt but I have concluded that
            Manerva's last named is Unknown and the Gullatt connection is
            through John Gant. John and Manerva's marriage records were
            apparently burned during the Civil War.

            > Does anyone know anything of Elijah Snodgrass?
            >
            > John and Sarah Manerva "Sally" Gant's Children
            >
            > Sarah Jane b. 1848 m. George W. Metcalf
            > George Washington b. 30 Sep 1850 m. Mary E. Thomas
            > Mary Elizabeth "Betsy" 1852 m. Tom M. Medford
            > Nancy Ann b. 25 Feb 1853 m. Henry T. Mitchell
            > William M. b. 1856 m. Mary M. White
            > Joseph Jefferson b. 4 Aug 1859 m. 1. Elizabeth Shelton 2. Manerva
            Addie Shelton (were they sisters?)

            > Does anyone connect to the above spouses?
            >
            > Clay Gullatt

            The brother of George W.Metcalf was Jasper N. Metcalf and he married
            Sarah Thomas, the sister of my great grandfather, Samuel Bradford
            Thomas.I have some, very little information on these folks.

            These seem to be some of the people buried at Gant Cemetery, if so,
            I'm sure they are my family.