Re: [jacksongenealogy] Michael Thomas Mitchell/Elizabeth Jane Swaim

  • Charlotte
    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 30, 2006
      Was Neoma Swain, mother of Elizabeth Jane, the wife of George Swain who was the son of Moses Swain b. 1800 NC? She was listed as Ema 23 on the 1850 with George Swain 26 and Moses Swain 3?

      In an answer YES. George died about 1860 and she remarried a Walker. In fact her sons on a couple of census shows them as Walker.

      There is a difference in knowing the path and walking the path.

    • cmitchellbox
      Message 2 of 14 , Dec 8, 2006
        --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com, Charlotte
        <cmitchellbox@...> wrote:

        > Good info but this is Michael Mitchell's siblings except his
        marriage to Elizabeth in Jan 19 1868. Here are details of Micheal
        Thomas/Elizabeth Swaim:
        > Michael T Mitchell
        > Birth: 29 APR 1843 , Warren, Tennessee
        > Death: 30 OCT 1905(Death: 30 OCT 1905 in Little Rock,Pulaski
        County,Arkansas - on some1's family tree) I show him in AL in 1900
        > Elizabeth J Swaim
        > Birth: 22 Jun 1850 ,Jackson, AL
        > Death: 10 Jun 1910, Lonoke, AR
        > Children
        > 1. Jonathan H Mitchell
        > Birth: 19 OCT 1868 , , Alabama
        > Death: 27 May 1959 Houston, Smith County, Texas buried in Houston
        >
        > 2. Moses C Mitchell
        > Birth: 10 DEC 1870 , , Alabama
        > Death: 24 Jan 1943 in Pulaski, Arkansas
        > CARNOR*, (Ms) DANE 24 MITCHELL, M.C. 36 17-NOV-1915 Q-601
        > http://www.rootsweb.com/~arlonoke/marriage_index_c_and_d.htm
        > GANDY, (M) ALICE 25 MITCHELL, M.C. 22 17-JAN-1893 G-356
        > http://www.rootsweb.com/~arlonoke/marriage_index_g.htm
        >
        > 3. Mary Jane Mitchell
        > Birth: 10 DEC 1872 , , Alabama
        > Death: 20 SEP 1896 Of, , Jackson, Alabama
        > Spouse: Bradford, 1890 Jackson, AL
        > MITCHELL, MARY 18 BRADFORD, FELIX 23 31-DEC-1890 F-541 (found on:
        > http://www.rootsweb.com/~arlonoke/marriage_index_m.htm) Also on
        marriage records in AR
        > 4. Martha L Mitchell
        > Birth: 20 NOV 1877 , , Alabama
        > Death: 17 SEP 1905 Of, , Jackson, Alabama
        > married a Shrivers @ 1901 in Jackson Alabama.
        >
        > 5. Thomas V Mitchell
        > Birth: 16 FEB 1876 , , Alabama
        >
        > 6. Maoma A Mitchell (twin)
        > Birth: 1878 , Jackson, Alabama
        > 7. Unavailable <<probably Sarah F.(twin)
        > Birth: 1878, Jackson, Alabama
        > Susan F Mitchell Compact Disc #116 Pin #445265 <<WRONG
        NAME

        > Birth: 16 Aug 1878 Place: , , Jackson, Alabama
        >
        > 8. Susan Mitchell
        > Birth: 16 AUG 1881 , Jackson, Alabama
        > Death: 15 JUN 1906
        > Spouse: Baird, abt 1901 Jackson, AL
        >
        > 9. Seaborn Mitchell (spelled Seborne in 1900 in AR)
        > Birth: 21 JAN 1884 , Jackson, Alabama
        > Death: 30 MAR 1903
        > (on 1900 census shows birth: Feb 1884 and birth in AR)
        >
        > Nothing verified above except on Johnathan, Moses, Elizabeth's
        death; everything else has been researching which I put info as I
        found it. Ring any bells now?
        > Charlotte
        >

        > clay gullatt <blackcloud27030@...> wrote:
        > In order to help see if anyone connects to this Mitchell
        family here is some census and marriage info for them.

        > 1850 Dist 8 Warren Co. TN
        > House/Family 1371
        > Thomas Mitchael 41 Farmer TN
        > Mary J. 29 TN
        > Thomas 7 (this is Michael Thomas Mitchell) All children b. TN
        > Johnathan 5
        > Martha J. 3
        > Nancy E. 1
        > William Whorton 22 Farmer TN
        > Mary J. Custer 23 TN
        >
        > 1860 Scottsboro Jackson Co. AL
        > House/Family 615
        > Thomas Mitchell 50 Farmer NC
        > Mary 42 TN
        > Michael 17 TN
        > Jonathan 15 TN
        > Martha 13 TN
        > Elizabeth 11 TN
        > Salley 5 TN
        > Mary 2 AL
        >
        > 1870 Larkinsville Jackson Co. AL
        > House/Family 119
        > Thos. J. Mitchell 61 Farmer NC
        > Mary J. 50 Keeping House TN
        > Sallie 15 At Home TN
        > Virgil Wood 28 Minister AL
        > Martha J. Wood 22 TN (Martha J. Mitchell)
        > Alexander Wood 2 AL
        >
        > House/Family 120
        > John W. Mitchell 25 Farmer TN (Jonathon Mitchell)
        > Sarah L. 21 Keeping House TN
        > Thomas S. 7months AL
        >
        > House/Family 121
        > Thos. Mitchell 27 Farmer AL? (should be TN)
        > Elizabeth J. 20 Keeping House AL
        > Jonathan 1 AL
        >
        > Marriages Jackson Co. AL
        > Jonathan W. Mitchell m. Evaline E. Brewer 10 Jan 1866 OS Page 332
        >
        > Michael J. Mitchell m. Elizabeth Swain 19 Jan 1868 OS Page 581
        >
        > Johathan W. Mitchell m. Sarah L. Bishop Jan 1869 OS Page 699
        >
        > Virgil Y. Wood m. Martha J. Mitchell 20 Aug 1865 OS Page 269
        >
        > Jacob L. Kennamer m. Sallie W. Mitchell 23 Dec 1880 OS Page 534
        >
        > S.G. Kennarmer m. Nancy E. Mitchell 08 Apr 1869 OS Page 736
        >
        > Was Neoma Swain, mother of Elizabeth Jane, the wife of George
        Swain who was the son of Moses Swain b. 1800 NC? She was listed as
        Ema 23 on the 1850 with George Swain 26 and Moses Swain 3?

        > Clay

        Since I am at so many road blocks on finding my Grandpa's (Johnathan
        Holmes b 19 Oct 1868)immediate family as previously stated, I've
        decided to work on his grandfather, the above info, Thomas Jefferson
        Mitchell, b 23 Jul 1809 in Warren, TN, d 10 Apr 1897 Jackson, AL.
        Thx for the info, I now have 1850 thru 1880 census.
        Charlotte
      • cmitchellbox
        Message 3 of 14 , Dec 14, 2006
          YES I have found your Michael Swaim with slightly different info but
          they are my Swaims. I stumbled onto a web site that showed 426
          Swaims! I'ved only just begun researching.
          ID: I2307
          Name: Michael Swaim
          Sex: M
          Birth: ABT 1755 in ,Rowan,North Carolina
          Death: ABT 1840 in ,Guilford,North Carolina
          Marriage 1 Sarah Rigdon b: ABT 1758 in of,Guilford,North Carolina
          Married: 24 JUL 1775 in ,Guilford,North Carolina
          Note: !this list of children of Michael SWAIM & Sarah RIGDON is
          incomplete
          Children
          Levi Swaim b: ABT 1776 in ,Guilford,North Carolina
          William Swaim b: ABT 1778 in ,Guilford,North Carolina
          Michael Swaim b: 17 FEB 1781 in ,Guilford,North Carolina
          John Enoch Swaim b: 3 APR 1782 in ,Guilford,North Carolina
          Silas Swaim b: ABT 1785 in ,Guilford,North Carolina
          Sarah Swaim b: 29 SEP 1787 in ,Guilford,North Carolina

          --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com, "cmitchellbox"
          <cmitchellbox@...> wrote:

          > --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com, altafae@ wrote:
          > >
          > > I was just working on my Sanders, and came across this name - do
          > you believe
          > > these Swaim have anything to do with Elizabeth Jane?
          > >

          > > Descendants of Michael Swaim
          > >

          > > Generation No. 1
          > >
          > > 1. MICHAEL1 SWAIM was born 1752 in Rowan, NC, USA, and died
          > 1800 in
          > > Guilford, NC, USA. He married SARAH RIGDON. She was born 1758
          > in Guilford, NC,
          > > USA, and died 1810 in Guilford, NC, USA.
          > > Child of MICHAEL SWAIM and SARAH RIGDON is:
          > > 2. i. SILAS2 SWAIM, b. 1790, Guilford, NC, USA; d.
          > 1849,
          > > Jackson, AL, USA.
          > >
          > > Generation No. 2
          > >
          > > 2. SILAS2 SWAIM (MICHAEL1) was born 1790 in Guilford, NC,
          USA,
          > and died
          > > 1849 in Jackson, AL, USA. He married (1) TEMPERANCE WALL 02
          Nov
          > 1831 in
          > > Randolph, NC, USA. She was born 1800 in Randolph, NC, USA, and
          > died 1860 in
          > > Jackson, AL, USA. He married (2) CATHERINE JONES 30 Jul
          1805.
          > She was born
          > > 1788 in Guilford, NC, USA, and died 1830 in Randolph, NC, USA.
          > > More About SILAS SWAIM and TEMPERANCE WALL:
          > > Marriage: 02 Nov 1831, Randolph, NC, USA
          > > More About SILAS SWAIM and CATHERINE JONES:
          > > Marriage: 30 Jul 1805
          > > Children of SILAS SWAIM and TEMPERANCE WALL are:
          > > i. DANIEL3 SWAIM, b. 1832, Jackson, AL, USA; d. 1880, AL,
          USA.
          > > ii. SILAS CHRISTOPHER SWAIM, b. 25 Dec 1833, NC, USA; d. 27
          > Jan 1914,
          > > Jackson, AL, USA.
          > > iii. MARTHA SWAIM, b. 1836, NC, USA.
          > > iv. NANCY SWAIM, b. 1840, NC, USA.
          > > Children of SILAS SWAIM and CATHERINE JONES are:
          > > 3. v. MICHAEL3 SWAIM, b. 1801, NC, USA; d. 07 Apr
          > 1860,
          > > Montgomery, AR, USA.
          > > 4. vi. JESSE ABNER SWAIM, b. 22 Jun 1819, NC, USA.
          > > vii. SWAIM, b. 1821, NC, USA.
          > >
          > > Generation No. 3
          > >
          > > 3. MICHAEL3 SWAIM (SILAS2, MICHAEL1) was born 1801 in NC,
          > USA, and died
          > > 07 Apr 1860 in Montgomery, AR, USA. He married REBECCA
          SANDERS
          > 1835,
          > > daughter of GEORGE SANDERS and PHOEBE SAUNDERS. She was born
          > 05 Jan 1807 in
          > > Randolph, NC, USA, and died 1860 in Sulphur Springs,
          Montgomery,
          > AR, USA.
          > > More About MICHAEL SWAIM:
          > > Residence: 1850, Not Stated, Marion, Arkansas
          > > More About MICHAEL SWAIM and REBECCA SANDERS:
          > > Marriage: 1835
          > > Children of MICHAEL SWAIM and REBECCA SANDERS are:
          > > i. PHOEBE CATHERINE4 SWAIM, b. 1832, AL, USA.
          > > ii. GEORGE S SWAIM, b. 1834, AL, USA.
          > > iii. SYLAS W SWAIM, b. 1836, Marion, AR, USA.
          > > iv. MARY JANE SWAIN, b. 1839, AL, USA; d. Mt Ida,
          Montgomery,

          Message 4 of 14 , Dec 14, 2006
            Last Will and Testement of Elizabeth Gant dtd 27 Jan 1864

            In the name of God, Amen, I Elizabeth Gant in the County of Jackson and State of

            Alabama being of sound mind and memory and considering the ??????? of this frail and transitory life I do therefore make ordain publish and declare this to be my last will and testement. That is to say all of my real estate being the NE1/4 of the NE1/4 of Section 26 Township 4 and Range 6 East I give and bequeath to my Grand Children Jane Gant, George Gant, Elizabeth Gant, Nancy Gant and William Gant. I also give to the aforsaid children the following described land and appurtenances, the South?????? of the SE1/4 of Section 23 Township 4 Range 6 East being the place where I now Reside containg in all 80 acres more or less.

            In Witness Whereof I have hereunto
            Subscribed my name and affixed my
            Seal this 27 day January int the Year of Our
            Lord One Thousand Eight Hundred and Sixtyfive

            Elizabeth x Gant (Seal)

            Elizabeth Gant was a daughter of John and Manerva Catherine Yancy (Mitchell) Gullatt. Elizabeth b. 1799/1800 VA died 1864 Bellefonte, Jackson Co. AL. The first name of her Gant husband is unknown.

            Her will was not probated until 11 Mar 1873.

            In the Petition of Probate 11 Mar 1873 by Manerva Gant (wife of John Gant) it is stated that the Grandchildren mentioned in the will are the children of John Gant and that John was son of Elizabeth Gant. Also mentioned as heirs are Blunt Gant, Mary Snodgrass, wife of Elijah Snodgrass non-residents of this state. Also mentions that Nancy Gant is now Nancy Mitchell.

            Blunt? Gant (is this Jasper?) and Mary Snodgrass were also children of Elizabeth (Gullatt) Gant. I am unsure of the name Blunt as the only other known son of Elizabeth was Jasper N. Gant. All the Grandchildren are not mentioned (Joseph Jefferson the youngest) in the will. I have Jasper Gant's war record but there is no mention of any family members.

            I received the above from cousin Tim Gant. I am posting it for the rest of my Gant cousins as there has been some question as to the Gullatt/Gant relationship. It had been thought by some that John Gant's wife Manerva was a Gullatt but I have concluded that Manerva's last named is Unknown and the Gullatt connection is through John Gant. John and Manerva's marriage records were apparently burned during the Civil War.

            Does anyone know anything of Elijah Snodgrass?

            John and Sarah Manerva "Sally" Gant's Children

            Sarah Jane b. 1848 m. George W. Metcalf
            George Washington b. 30 Sep 1850 m. Mary E. Thomas
            Mary Elizabeth "Betsy" 1852 m. Tom M. Medford
            Nancy Ann b. 25 Feb 1853 m. Henry T. Mitchell
            William M. b. 1856 m. Mary M. White
            Joseph Jefferson b. 4 Aug 1859 m. 1. Elizabeth Shelton 2. Manerva Addie Shelton (were they sisters?)

            Does anyone connect to the above spouses?

            Clay Gullatt

          • Mark
            Message 5 of 14 , Nov 1, 2007
              --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com, clay gullatt
              <blackcloud27030@...> wrote:

              > Last Will and Testement of Elizabeth Gant dtd 27 Jan 1864
              >
              > In the name of God, Amen, I Elizabeth Gant in the County of
              Jackson and State of

              > Alabama being of sound mind and memory and considering the ???????
              of this frail and transitory life I do therefore make ordain publish
              and declare this to be my last will and testement. That is to say
              all of my real estate being the NE1/4 of the NE1/4 of Section 26
              Township 4 and Range 6 East I give and bequeath to my Grand Children
              Jane Gant, George Gant, Elizabeth Gant, Nancy Gant and William Gant.
              I also give to the aforsaid children the following described land
              and appurtenances, the South?????? of the SE1/4 of Section 23
              Township 4 Range 6 East being the place where I now Reside containg
              in all 80 acres more or less.

              > In Witness Whereof I have hereunto
              > Subscribed my name and affixed my
              > Seal this 27 day January int the Year of Our
              > Lord One Thousand Eight Hundred and Sixtyfive
              >
              > Elizabeth x Gant (Seal)
              >
              > Elizabeth Gant was a daughter of John and Manerva Catherine Yancy
              (Mitchell) Gullatt. Elizabeth b. 1799/1800 VA died 1864 Bellefonte,
              Jackson Co. AL. The first name of her Gant husband is unknown.

              > Her will was not probated until 11 Mar 1873.
              >
              > In the Petition of Probate 11 Mar 1873 by Manerva Gant (wife of
              John Gant) it is stated that the Grandchildren mentioned in the will
              are the children of John Gant and that John was son of Elizabeth
              Gant. Also mentioned as heirs are Blunt Gant, Mary Snodgrass, wife
              of Elijah Snodgrass non-residents of this state. Also mentions that
              Nancy Gant is now Nancy Mitchell.

              > Blunt? Gant (is this Jasper?) and Mary Snodgrass were also
              children of Elizabeth (Gullatt) Gant. I am unsure of the name Blunt
              as the only other known son of Elizabeth was Jasper N. Gant. All the
              Grandchildren are not mentioned (Joseph Jefferson the youngest) in
              the will. I have Jasper Gant's war record but there is no mention of
              any family members.

              > I received the above from cousin Tim Gant. I am posting it for the
              rest of my Gant cousins as there has been some question as to the
              Gullatt/Gant relationship. It had been thought by some that John
              Gant's wife Manerva was a Gullatt but I have concluded that
              Manerva's last named is Unknown and the Gullatt connection is
              through John Gant. John and Manerva's marriage records were
              apparently burned during the Civil War.

              > Does anyone know anything of Elijah Snodgrass?
              >
              > John and Sarah Manerva "Sally" Gant's Children
              >
              > Sarah Jane b. 1848 m. George W. Metcalf
              > George Washington b. 30 Sep 1850 m. Mary E. Thomas
              > Mary Elizabeth "Betsy" 1852 m. Tom M. Medford
              > Nancy Ann b. 25 Feb 1853 m. Henry T. Mitchell
              > William M. b. 1856 m. Mary M. White
              > Joseph Jefferson b. 4 Aug 1859 m. 1. Elizabeth Shelton 2. Manerva
              Addie Shelton (were they sisters?)

              > Does anyone connect to the above spouses?
              >
              > Clay Gullatt

              The brother of George W.Metcalf was Jasper N. Metcalf and he married
              Sarah Thomas, the sister of my great grandfather, Samuel Bradford
              Thomas.I have some, very little information on these folks.

              These seem to be some of the people buried at Gant Cemetery, if so,
              I'm sure they are my family.