Indian Villages

  • Mike Cummons
    Message 1 of 9 , May 15, 1999
      TALATIGI (Kalalekis). the site of this Upper Creek town was within the
      present-day limits of Talladega, in Talladega County. the word "Talatigi"
      means "border town". The French census of 1760 listed this town with a
      population of 30 warriors.

      In November, 1813, many friendly Creeks took refuge in Fort Lashley, which
      was erected at Talatigi. They were surrounded by 1,000 hostile Red Sticks,
      who demanded that they surrender. During the night, Selocta Chinnabee, a
      well-known scout, slipped out of the fort, dressed in a hog skin, crawled
      through the enemy line, and reached General Andrew Jackson at Fort Strother,
      telling of their plight. On November 9, Jackson's army, consisting of 1,200
      infantrymen and 800 cavalrymen, surrounded the enemy. A battle ensued in
      which 15 militiamen were killed. The bodies of 299 of the Red Sticks were
      later counted.

      TALI. This ancient village was on McKee's Island, in the Tennessee River,
      near Guntersville, in Marshall County. The site has been inundated by the
      river. On July 9, 1540, the chieftain of this village tried in vain to send
      the women and children across the river in canoes to safety after learning
      that Spanish soldiers under DeSoto were approaching. However, as Ranjel
      recorded on the occasion, "the Governor (DeSoto) forced them all to turn
      back." The chief was then forced to furnish DeSoto's party with canoes in
      order to enter the village.

      That's all I have on Indian Villages, when I can get back to the society
      where I found the book; I'll copy some more.

      Georgia Mathis Cummons
      Jacksonville, FL