James M. Mitchell

  • alstbrch
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 17, 2006
      Clay,
      I don't know if Manerva Caroline was kin.
      James' father was Hugh Mitchell. According to the 1850 census he was
      from N. C. Have not got past him. I have only been doing this about 4
      years.
      James had a brother named William, and his oldest son was William.
      But that was a popular name.
      Linda
    • masonfamily88
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 20, 2006
        William C. Mitchell (b. ca 1816 TN) married Sarah Ann Loyd Dec. 4,
        1859 Jackson Co., AL (daughter of Joseph Loyd & Lavinia Lacy).
        This is a second marriage as by 1860 he has a son Hugh b. ca 1844 age
        16 on census record.

        William c. Mitchell is said to be son of Hugh Mitchell & Sally Holland.
        I have been told that he is buried in Shelton Cemetery, but I have
        never been there before.

        From 1870 & 1880 census records Jackson Co., AL
        Wm C. & Sarah Loyd Mitchell had these children:
        James F. b. ca 1859 AL
        Mary R. b. ca 1864 AL
        Fanny P. b. ca 1865 AL
        William C. b. ca 1868 AL

        Catherine b. 1879 AL is listed in the 1880 but not sure how she fits
        in as I have Wm C. Mitchell death as 1868.

        Thanks, Elizabeth

        --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com, "alstbrch" <alstbrch@...>
        wrote:

        > Clay,
        > I don't know if Manerva Caroline was kin.
        > James' father was Hugh Mitchell. According to the 1850 census he was
        > from N. C. Have not got past him. I have only been doing this about
        4
        > years.
        > James had a brother named William, and his oldest son was William.
        > But that was a popular name.
        > Linda

      • Linda Wilson
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 20, 2006
          (my notes)

          1850 Alabama, Jackson County District 20
          household # 740
          (William) Carroll Mitchell 34 (1814) Tennessee Farmer $640
          Lithy 44 (1806) NC
          Nancy 11 (1839) Al
          Martha 10 (1840) Al
          Hugh 8 (1842) Al

          1850 Alabama, Jackson County township 2 range 6
          household # 517
          Hugh Mitchell 64 (1786) NC farmer $400
          Arminda 24 (1826) Al
          James 20 (1830) Al laborer
          Mary 14 (1836) this name very smeared

          This will give you Shelton Cemetery

          http://ftp.rootsweb.com/pub/usgenweb/al/jackson/cemetery/shelton .txt
          Hugh, William, James and a lot of other Mitchell's are not listed even tho they are supposed to be buried there.
          there are about 50 give or take field stones used as head stones.
          I went to the cemetery and read every head stone I think and did not find them.
          (not the rock ones).

          I had checked my notes before, and do not have anything else on Sarah Loyd, except Catherine is listed as a grandchild on 1880 census.

          If you want more info on the Mitchell's let me know. I will sent you more.

          Do you know where Sarah Loyd Mitchell is buried and when she died?

          Linda Wilson

          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 20, 2006
            This is taken from several family trees and the census.

            Hugh C. Mitchell b. 1786 NC? d. btw 1855-1860 Jackson Co. AL m. 1815 Lincoln Co. TN Sally (Sarah) Holland b. 1793 TN d. btw 1840-1850 Jackson Co. AL

            Children
            1. William Carroll 1816 TN
            2. Rebecca 1817 TN
            3. Nancy Midlock 1820 Jackson Co. AL
            4. Parethena Jane Apr 1822 Jackson Co. AL
            5. Elizabeth Emeline 1824 Jackson Co. AL
            6. Mary Ellen 26 Dec 1825 Jackson Co. AL
            7. Arminda C. 1826 Jackson Co. AL
            8. Hugh E. 1828 Jackson Co. AL
            9. Sally (Sarah) 1830 Jackson Co. AL
            10. James Marion Sep 1832 Jackson Co. AL
            11. Mary 1836 Jackson Co. AL (this appears to be the name of the 14 yr female on the 1850 Census, that is how I read it)

            According to the family trees James M.s middle name is Marion. Sally is the old nickname for Sarah. William C. is listed as Carrol Mitchel on the 1850.

            Hugh. Mitchell is listed on the Jackson Co. 1830, 1840 and 1850 Census.

            1830 Jackson Co. AL
            Hugh Mitchel
            Males 1 under 5 2 of 5 under 10 1 of 30 under 40
            Females 2 under 5 2 of 5 under 10 3 of 10 under 15 1 of 30 under 40

            9 Total children in 1830

            Another of the named females listed above would have to have to be born before 1820 according the the 1830.

            In 1830 living 7 houses away from Hugh Mitchell is Martha Mitchell of 90 and under 100 with l male of 20 under 30 and 1 female of 50 under 60. This 90/100 yr old female is possibly Hugh's mother. Also near by is a Bates Mitchell.

            1840 Jackson Co. AL
            Males
            1 5-10 1 10-15 1 50-60
            Females
            1 under 5 2 10-15 1 15-20 1 50-60

            Total 6 children in 1840.

            1850 Township 2 Range 6 Jackson Co. AL
            House/Family 517
            Hugh Mitchell 64 Farmer $400.00 NC
            Arminda 24 AL
            James 20 AL
            Mary 14 AL

            NOTE: At the Heritage Center is a cabin donated by the Webb Family however this Cabin was built by Hugh C. Mitchell. On the inner door there is a plaque reading "This cabin built by Hugh C. Mitchell about 1825 to1830". Using the logs from Hugh's cabin it has been re-built as the Webb Cabin/Blacksmith Shop, you can see a photo of it by visiting the Heritage Center website. Also some of the logs were used in the Dicus Cabin. Hugh's cabin was located in Big Coon in what was known as Mitchell Holler according to the family trees.

            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 20, 2006
              Catherine Mitchell b. 1879 age 1 on the 1880 census is listed as Gran Dau of Sarah Loyd Mitchell.

            • masonfamily88
              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 23, 2006
                Linda, no I have not compiled any census after 1900 on Sarah. I
                need to get back to the library. I don't have any other
                information on her than this. Sarah Ann Loyd Mitchell was the
                sister to my ggg grandfather Andrew Jackson LOYD.
                I have just been curious as to Sarah and all and need to get back to
                the library and do some more digging.
                Thank you for the 1850 census on Wm Mitchell.
                Elizabeth

                --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com, Linda Wilson <alstbrch@...>