Ella HILL GRIDER

  • rgpipes@hughes.net
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 15, 2006
      I am looking for any information on Solomon GRIDER and his wife Ella HILL
      GRIDER. I think Ella had a brother named Delbert HILL. I know that they
      had one daughter named Geneva GRIDER that married Jim WINN or WYNN. There
      were at least two sons on called Jr. and one was Frankie or Frank GRIDER.
      Solomon was the son of Francis Marion "Frank" GRIDER/GUIDER and Martha L.
      GOLD GRIDER.
      Solomon is buried at the Old Baptist Cemetery in Hollywood and I think Ella
      is buried on Sand Mountain somewhere. Does anyone know anything about this
      family?

      Thanks for any help.

      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 16, 2006

        Ella Hill was dau of Myra (Mitchell) Brandon Hill Bradford and Unknown Hill.

        John B.C. Branden m. Myra L. Mitchell 28 Dec 1890 Jackson Co. AL OS page 77

        1900 Tupelo Jackson Co. AL
        Mira L. Brandon Head Mar 1873 27 Wd 5child 4living AL AL AL Farmer
        Sarah E. Dau Apr 1893 7 AL AL AL
        Harvey Son Mar 1895 5 AL AL AL
        William M. Feb 1897 3 AL AL AL
        John T. Aug 1899 9months AL AL AL

        1910 Tupelo JC AL
        Myria L. Hill Head 36 Wd 8Child 8 Living AL AL AL Farmer
        Harvie G. Brandon Son 15 AL AL AL Farm Lab.
        William Mc. Brandon Son 13 AL AL AL Farm Lab
        John T. Son 10 AL AL AL Farm Lab
        Lena M. Hill Dau 7 AL AL AL
        Luella Hill Dau 6 AL AL AL
        Arlie R. Hill Son 5 AL AL AL
        Delbert M. Hill 2 Son AL AL AL

        1920 Tupelo JC AL
        David A. Bradford Head 51 TN TN AL Farmer
        Myria L. Wife AL AL AL Lab. Home Farm
        McKenley Brandon St.Son 22 AL AL AL Laborer Working Out
        John T. Brandon St.Son 20 AL AL AL Laborer Working Out
        Murphy Bradford Son 16 TN TN TN Lab. Home Farm
        Elmer Bradford Son 16 TN TN TN
        Julia A. Bradford Dau 10 TN TN TN
        Herman D. Bradford Son 5 AL TN AL
        Orlie R. Hill St.Son 14 AL AL AL Lab. Home Farm
        Delbert M. Hill St.Son 12 AL AL AL Lab Home Farm

        1920 Hollywood JC AL
        Solomon B. Grider Head 18 AL IL AL Farm Lab. Working Out
        Ella Wife AL AL AL

        1910 Wininger JC AL
        F. M. Grider Head 53 mar.once 16yrs TN TN TN Farmer
        Martha Wife 33 mar.once 16yrs AL AL AL

        1910 Wininger JC AL
        F.M. Grider Head 53 mar once 16yrs TN TN TN Farmer
        Martha Wife 333 mar.once 16yrs AL AL AL
        Ethel M. Dau 10 AL
        Solomen Son 8 AL
        Ora Dau 6 AL
        Dorthey Dau 4 AL
        Alverie Dau 2 AL

        1920 Hollywood JC AL
        Frank Grider Head 61 IL SC IL Farmer
        Martha Wife 42 AL AL AL
        Ora L. Dau 17 AL IL AL Farm Lab.
        Dartha Dau 15 AL IL AL
        Avie R. Son 12 AL IL AL
        Orbie Son 2 11/12 AL IL AL

        1930 Tupelo JC AL
        Solomon D. Grider Head 29 mar. @ 20 AL US AL Farmer
        Lowella Wife 26 mar. @ 16 AL AL AL (I read it as Lewella)
        Jewel Dau 7 AL AL AL
        Geneva Dau 5 AL AL AL
        Luese Dau 3 2/12 AL AL AL (Louise?)
        Jessie Son 2months AL AL AL

        1930 Hollywood JC AL
        Frank M. Grider Head 70 1st mar @ 37 TN TN TN Farmer
        Martha Wife 52 1st mar @ 17 AL AL AL
        Aubrey Son 13 AL TN AL

        1930 Tupelo JC AL
        David B. Bradford Head 51 1st mar @21 TN AL AL Farmer
        Myra L. Wife 57 1st mar @ 17 AL AL AL
        Elmer Son 22 TN TN AL
        Hermon D. Son 15 AL TN AL
        Delbert M Hill Step Son 22 AL AL AL

        Myra L. Mitchell was b. 3-23-1873 d. 5-5-1964 buried in Shelton Cem. JC AL dext to David Bradford.

        1880 JC AL
        James Mitchel Head 47 Farming AL KY TN
        Elizabeth Wife 43 House Keeping AL VA TN
        William Son 22 Farming AL
        Nancy Dau 18 At Home AL
        Thomas Son 16 Farming AL
        Jane Dau 14 At Home AL (Mariah Jane)
        Elizabeth Dau 13 At Home AL
        Mary Dau 11 At Home AL
        Dow Son 9 At School AL
        Mira Dau 7 At Home AL
        Sinda Dau 5 At Home
        Stephen Son 3 At Home
        Albert Son 1 At Home

        1870 Berry's Store JC AL
        Jas M. Mitchell Head 37 Farmer AL
        Elizabeth 33 Keeping House AL
        William G. 12 Farm Lab AL
        Martha E. 11 At Home AL
        Nancy A. 8 AL
        Thomas M. 6 AL
        Mariah J. 4 AL
        Elizabeth 2 AL
        Mary 1 AL

        1860 Township 3 Range 5 JC AL
        James Mitchell 28 Farmer AL
        Elizabeth 23 AL
        William 2 AL
        Martha 1 AL

      • Linda Wilson
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 16, 2006
          Myra L. (Mitchell) Brandon (John), Hill (? Richard?), Bradford was the daughter of James M. Mitchell and Elizabeth Evans Mitchell.

          Elizabeth Evans Mitchell was the daughter of Lewis Evans and Anna Bynum (1st wife).

          James and Elizabeth Mitchell are supposed to be buried in Shelton Cemetery.
          We did not find a tombstone for them. But there are a lot of field stones marking graves. I was told that was slave graves. But Lewis Evans and his 2nd wife are buried there. Lewis' headstone is a field rock. the footstone is a regular marker.

          Lena Mae Hill married Sam J. Bellomy.
          Arlie R. Hill married Estelle Morrison (they are buried in Shelton Cemetery)
          Delbert M. Hill (11-24-1907 to 3-8-1982) is buried in Cedar Hill Cemetery.

          Myra' s older sister Martha E. Mitchell married George L. Maness and moved to Marshall County. They are my great-grand parents.
          Linda Wilson

          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 16, 2006
            Regina and Linda

            Here is James M. Mitchell on the 1900

            1900 Tupelo Jackson Co. AL
            James M. Mitchell Head Sept 1832 67 Wd AL KY TN

            Have always wondered if the Mitchells in Jackson Co. were kin to my GGgrandmother Manerva Catherine Yancy (Mitchell) Gullatt b. 1777 VA d. 1862 Jackson Co. AL. Catherine's brothers William, James and John Mitchell moved to KY from VA. Have not had time to trace them and their families. They were children of John and Ann Nancy (Wigginton) Mitchell of Culpeper Co. VA

          • rgpipes@hughes.net
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 16, 2006
              According to Robert CASEY Myra MITCHELL first married John BRANDON and they
              had five children then she married Richard HILL and they had four children
              one being my Aunt Louella HILL GRIDER. Then it looks like she married a
              third time to a BRADFORD.

              Do you see a Richard HILL anywhere in Jackson County?

              The census says F M GRIDER was only married once BUT he was married once
              before to Kate ODOM in Loudon County Tennessee where he had two sons and one
              daughter. His wife died and I guess he just up and left the children with
              family members.

              My Aunt Dorothy GRIDER married this John T. BRANDON or at least I think this
              is the same BRANDON. After they divorced she married Frank TALLEY. No
              wonder it is so confusing.

              Thanks so much Clay.

              Regina

              _____