RE: [Jackson genealogy] Hamilton Surname

  • JL Hamilton
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 1, 2006
      Pam

      I am John L Hamilton I live in the Knoxville Tennessee area and I am
      researching my Hamilton family who lived in Jackson county Al most lived in
      the Section area and Sand Mountain. My father was Robert Varnell Hamilton.
      His father was William Alford Hamilton, He was referred to as Alf. His wife
      was Allie Hamilton. His father was also Alford Hamilton. Wife Lucindia It
      appears by the census they moved to Jackson County from South Carolina. I
      have had a difficult time tracing them there but believe the next
      grandfather back was David Hamilton. If we can help each other I would be
      happy to. Best regards. I do know William spent time in Canada working in
      timber.

      John L Hamilton

      _____

      From: jacksongenealogy@ <mailto:jacksongenealogy%40yahoogroups.com>
      yahoogroups.com
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 2, 2006
        Hello John,

        Thanks for the information on your line. I will share this with the other
        person researching my group.

        Here is what I have:

        Russell Hamilton was born c 1780 NC or PA. He married Margaret unknown b c
        1793 TN

        Russell is first found on the 1830 census in Jackson Co., AL, and 2nd on the
        1840 Marshall Co.

        Children: (based on census information; could be more)

        1. N. Green b 2-3-1810 NC married Isabella FINLEY on May 4 1836, Marshall
        Co., AL

        2. son b btw 1825-1830

        3. daughter b btw 1825-1830

        4. Gabriel M. (Gabe) b 10-8-1825 AL (married in MS and in TX) (my line)

        5. Daughter b btw 1830-1835

        6. Clark b c 1832 AL (Married in MS to Martha Daniel or Martha Dunnel -
        record found for both, same date, 1852)

        7. Rufus b c 1835 AL - last found on the 1850 census, Itawamba, MS

        There are no daughters on the 1850 MS census, so I it is possible that they
        died, or that they married in AL.

        I do not know if this is all the children. Based on Russell's age, this
        could be a 2nd family for him. Margaret is old enough to be N. Green's
        mother.

        N. Green had his first 4 children in Alabama, and the last two in
        Mississippi. The family moved to Texas before the 1860.

        Children of N. Green Hamilton and Isabella Finley:

        1. James M. b 1837 AL

        2. Wayne F. b 1839 AL

        3. Alvin Finley b 1842 AL

        4. Angus Gustavus b 1844 AL

        5. Rufus H. b 1848 MS

        6. Victor b 1850 MS

        My new Hamilton research contact thinks Gustavus might be a good possibility
        for the father of Russell. This name is repeated in N. Green Hamilton's
        line.

        My ancestor, Gabe, had only one son, named "Bank" - but was listed on one
        census as Burkett H. He continued to go by the name Bank. This might be
        something with the mother's line

        Gabe's children:

        Emma A. (named after first wife who died before he came to TX)

        Lanora V "Nora"

        Dixie b 1862 - don't know if this is real or nickname.

        Winnie Ellen (probably Winnette)

        Burkett H. "Bank"

        Altha

        Mary W. or May

        Fannie F. (my line - is always the last daughter)

        If you look this group up on the Williamson Co., TX census you will find two
        more, Rebecca Martha, aka Mattie and Martha R., and Reuben B. Both children
        are listed as Hamiltons, but both were born prior to Gabe's marriage. I have
        compelling evidence to prove they are PRUITT children from Mary's previous
        marriage.

        Bank Hamilton used family names at least twice that I can tell,

        Russell - after his grandfather

        Bessie Catherine - his mother's middle name

        Willard

        Edgar

        Edith

        Gabe & N. Green both moved to Texas, Gabe in Williamson county (central
        Texas), and N. Green in Wood Co. (northeastern)

        N. Green moved near Gabe by the 1870 census.

        Well, this is my group.

        Keep me in mind if you see common names, or if you find Hamilton females
        with unknown parents.

        Thanks,

        Pam Cain

        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 2, 2006
          Hello Thanks for your reply good to hear from you. I wonder if there is
          anything connecting the Hamiltons you are working on and those I sent you?
          Best regards

          Larry Hamilton

          _____

        • altafae@aol.com
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 3, 2006
            In a message dated 10/1/2006 3:33:06 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
            hkatherinejohn@... writes:

            Robert Varnell Hamilton

            Do you have some connections to Rev. Henry Gotcher (Gocher) family of
            Tennessee? I just saw the Varnell, and I know I have several lines in my Gotcher
            family.

          • JL Hamilton
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 3, 2006
              Robert Varnell was my father. I do not know of any connection to these
              folks. Best regards

              John L Hamilton

              _____

              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 4, 2006
                In a message dated 10/3/2006 9:12:32 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
                hkatherinejohn@... writes:

                Varnell

                Thanks, John I appreciate your prompt response. It was the middle name that
                caught my eye - do you know how your father got that middle name, was it on
                your mothers side of the family, maybe a grandmother or great grandmother?

                Jimmie Ryan
                Elijah Brazier [Brasier] b 1776 NC - late/middle 1840 - Madison, Alabama
                Elijah Brazier Jr. b 1800 SC - Maynard Cove, Jackson, Alabama
                George W Brashear b 18 Jan 1849 - Maynard Cove, Jackson, Alabama
                Sarah Louisa Catherine Brashear b 02 May 1889 - Scottsboro, Jackson, Alabama
                Alta Fay Brown b 09 Oct 1924 - St Joe, Montague, Texas

              • JL Hamilton
                Message 7 of 10 , Oct 4, 2006
                  No I do not know but since you brought it up I am going to try to find out.
                  I will check it out and get back with you. Thanks for that little nudge it
                  has now peaked my interest. Best regards

                  Larry

                  _____