Newton Hinshaw b. 1833 AL (probably Jackson County), d.

  • barryscalia
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 31, 2006
      Hi all!

      I'm a newbie here, but have been to Jackson County twice (once with
      my grandfather, William Floyd Hanshaw, in 1979 and once in about 1995
      to do research on my own) to research my Hinshaw/Henshaw ancestors
      there. I met and corresponded with Kittye Henshaw in Princeton
      numerous times and met with Ms. Addie Shaver in the area too.

      It would appear that my Hinshaw clan was there in the 1800's, but all
      of them have moved from that area since then. Addie Shaver could
      find no trace of that line of Hinshaw's in Jackson County anymore and
      Kittye suggested the same thing. Many of them moved to Arkansas in
      the late 1800's including my ancestor, Thomas William Henshaw.

      I'm looking for the parents of Newton Hinshaw, born 1833 in AL (and
      probably in Jackson County in the Paint Rock or Paint Rock River
      Valley). It's possible that Newton's entire name was JAMES Newton
      Hinshaw. His Civil War records suggest that. He was a private in
      the Civil War in K Company, 4th Tennessee Cavalry (Captain Rice's
      Company), the 55th Regiment of the Alabama Volunteers. He died on
      June 6, 1867 (probably from wounds suffered in the Civil War).

      He married Hannah Jane Fears, born 1832 or 1833, maybe in Jackson
      County, but I'm not at all sure of that. I do not know when they
      were married. Hannah's parents were Jacob Fears, b. 1785 in VA and
      Aisley Holt, b. 1786 in NC.

      Newton and Hannah's children were:

      Rosiah Madison (Hasah) Hinshaw, b. 1852 -- all those names appear in
      various records
      Jacob Robert Hinshaw, b. 1854
      Thomas William Henshaw, b. 1858
      George A. Henshaw, b. 1863
      William A. L. Hinshaw, b. 1865

      Jan Hinshaw (who operates the Hinshaw Family Association at
      http://www.rawbw.com/~hinshaw) thinks that Newton:

      http://www.rawbw.com/~hinshaw/cgi-bin/id?6818

      was probably either a grandson of William Hinshaw & Jane Hamm, or
      maybe a son of William Hinshaw by a possible second wife. But
      there's no proof of that excellent hypothesis.

      Anybody have any clue where Newton came from or who his parents were?

      Darrell Hanshaw
      Austin, TX