Re: [jacksongenealogy]Civil War question

  • joy0420@charter.net
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 4 11:12 AM
      This is along the same lines as the Porter - different line of the family, but an "in general" question.
      I have a relative Adeline Epperson Jones, of Bledsoe & Marion Co, TN - who was living on a houseboat, so the lore goes, during the Civil War. She met Wm Carroll Standifer toward end of CW on said boat. Approx 1 yr later she showed up at Wm's home (he was living w/his parents) with a child Thomas Alexander Standifer, whom she gave over as she had no means to support him. She went on to marry James H. Jones. TA Standifer raised a family in Bledsoe Co, TN.
      My question is - is there any written history regarding houseboats along the TN River...prob houses of ill repute, or party barges as we would call them now? This houseboat location has been noted at Bridgeport, but also at the present site of Hale's Bar dam.
      Thanks. JOY