Re: [jacksongenealogy] SMITH/GASS

  • joy0420@charter.net
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 2, 2006
      Louise,
      Within the last 6 months a Stevenson man named John Raymond Gass passed away. While I shouldn't give out his # on this site, I can say you could do a search for the phone #. His widow may be able to help you, as I'm sure with the name being the same this is bound to be a relative.
      As for the Smith, wish I could help, but alas they are a different bunch of Smith's. hahaha.
      Joy

      PS - if anyone has access to The Stevenson Story by Eliza Woodall there might be a section on the Gass/Guess family there.

      ---- Louise Howard <meme1536@...> wrote:

      > Smith/Gass
      >
      > Do any of you Smith Researchers have a Louisa Jane
      > Smith who married John Gass ?
      >
      > Page 27 of the Dade County , GA Marriage Records
      > 1866-1888 list the marriage of John Gass to
      > Louisa Jane Smith 14 April 1878.
      >
      > Jackson County ,AL census shows:
      > June 1880 Household 65-66 :
      > Gass, John age 24 Head GA GA GA
      > Louisa age 24 Wife GA GA GA
      > Jessie age 6 mo Dau AL AL AL
      >
      > This is the only time I have found the above family
      > listed on the census for either Alabama , Tennessee,
      > or Georgia - nor have I been able to find out what
      > happened to baby Jessie.
      >
      > Dade County, GA Marriage Records 1866-1888 lists the
      > marriage of John Gass to Amanda P. Guess
      > 21 August 1881.
      >
      > This is my husband Charles Raymond Howard's
      > Ggrandparents. His Ggf is John Raymond Gass and he
      > married Amanda Palestine Guess d/o Jonathan Guess and
      > Mary Crownover.
      >
      > John and Amanda Gass are on the Jackson County, AL
      > Census for 1900 living in the Bolivar Community with
      > their 5 children. Age for John shown to be 43 and
      > shows he and Amanda to have been married 19 years.
      > They are also found on the 1910 and 1920 Census for
      > JCAL Bolivar Precinct.
      >
      > I am trying to find out if the John Gass who m Louisa
      > Jane Smith and the John Gass who m Amanda Guess are
      > one and the same. Also would love to know what
      > happened to Louisa & Jessie. Who are Louisa's
      > parents?
      >
      > I would appreciate any information photos, family
      > stories, etc., on either of these families.
      >
      > Thanks ,
      >
      > Louise Howard

      > http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Louise Howard
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 2, 2006
        Joy,

        Thank you so much for this info. I will try and check
        on the recent death of John Raymond Gass in Stevenson.

        I have the book " The Stevenson Story " by Eliza B.
        Woodall. It has Gass/Guess information in it.

        Good luck on your research .

        Louie

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • CD Woods
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 3, 2006
          My aunt attends church where Raymond's son is pastor and my brother-in-law is building his home at this time. I would be happy to pass along this info to one of them and see if Judy would mind being contacted by you. If you want to email me personally, I'll be happy to take your info and we can go with it from there.

          CD Woods

          --- joy0420@... wrote:

          > Louise,
          > Within the last 6 months a Stevenson man named John
          > Raymond Gass passed away. While I shouldn't give out
          > his # on this site, I can say you could do a search
          > for the phone #. His widow may be able to help you,
          > as I'm sure with the name being the same this is
          > bound to be a relative.
          > As for the Smith, wish I could help, but alas they
          > are a different bunch of Smith's. hahaha.
          > Joy
          >
          > PS - if anyone has access to The Stevenson Story by
          > Eliza Woodall there might be a section on the
          > Gass/Guess family there.
          >
          > ---- Louise Howard <meme1536@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > Smith/Gass
          > >
          > > Do any of you Smith Researchers have a Louisa Jane
          > > Smith who married John Gass ?
          > >
          > > Page 27 of the Dade County , GA Marriage Records
          > > 1866-1888 list the marriage of John Gass to
          > > Louisa Jane Smith 14 April 1878.
          > >
          > > Jackson County ,AL census shows:
          > > June 1880 Household 65-66 :
          > > Gass, John age 24 Head GA GA GA
          > > Louisa age 24 Wife GA GA GA
          > > Jessie age 6 mo Dau AL AL AL
          > >
          > > This is the only time I have found the above
          > family
          > > listed on the census for either Alabama ,
          > Tennessee,
          > > or Georgia - nor have I been able to find out what
          > > happened to baby Jessie.
          > >
          > > Dade County, GA Marriage Records 1866-1888 lists
          > the
          > > marriage of John Gass to Amanda P. Guess
          > > 21 August 1881.
          > >
          > > This is my husband Charles Raymond Howard's
          > > Ggrandparents. His Ggf is John Raymond Gass and he
          > > married Amanda Palestine Guess d/o Jonathan Guess
          > and
          > > Mary Crownover.
          > >
          > > John and Amanda Gass are on the Jackson County, AL
          > > Census for 1900 living in the Bolivar Community
          > with
          > > their 5 children. Age for John shown to be 43 and
          > > shows he and Amanda to have been married 19 years.
          > > They are also found on the 1910 and 1920 Census
          > for
          > > JCAL Bolivar Precinct.
          > >
          > > I am trying to find out if the John Gass who m
          > Louisa
          > > Jane Smith and the John Gass who m Amanda Guess
          > are
          > > one and the same. Also would love to know what
          > > happened to Louisa & Jessie. Who are Louisa's
          > > parents?
          > >
          > > I would appreciate any information photos, family
          > > stories, etc., on either of these families.
          > >
          > > Thanks ,
          > >
          > > Louise Howard

        • William Swiderski
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 4, 2006
            Hey Joy,

            Glad to see your up and about again. Hope everything went well. Question on the Smiths. I have Smiths that were from VA, then moved to NC to SC, then to Bedford County, TN and married into our Warren line. Have you ever found a connection to the Smiths in Jackson. They are your hubby's line right? I start with

            John Smith, Sr. b. 31 Jan 1752 in Virginia married to Elizabeth Simpson. Their children start out born NC, then SC then they all move to Bedford County where he dies 12 Mar 1816. Their daughter Sarah Smith, b. 16 Nov 1774 in NC married John M Roberts in Pendleton District, SC, before moving to Bedford with family. Sarah's granddaughter Malinda England married Absolum Williams and they had three daughters marry into our Warren line (Artemesia) and Marr line (Nancy Ann Elizabeth and Mary Malissa B.) I want to track where the other Smith children went. Of John and Elizabeth's children I have

            William Smith b. 03 Oct 1772 d. 15 Feb 1794

            John Smith, Jr b. 03 Mar 1779 d.03 Mar 1816

            Rezin Smith b. 05 Mar 1781 d.06 Jan 1851 (I have several children for him, since it was his family Bible that gives much of our info)

            Rezin's sons:

            William Rezin Smith, b. 14 Jul 1822 d. 1864

            John Rutledge Smith b. 27 Jul 1824 d. 1866

            Joshua Y. Smith b. 11 Aug 1832

            James G. Smith b. 10 Jan 1834

            Malinda England and hubby Absolum moved to AL with other England families and I wondered if some of these Smiths might have dropped down there also. Any names seem familiar?

            Michaele

          • joy0420@charter.net
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 9, 2006
              Hi Michaela, It's great to be back up and about!
              Unfortunately, these aren't my hubby's Smiths. His all come thru the Rev. Joseph Smith of Franklin/Moore Co Tn, a Methodist minister. There are just sooo many Smiths (I have 1 for hubby, 1 for my mom's line-of course not related).
              Have you done any genealogy travel lately? Joy

              ---- William Swiderski <msbs05@...> wrote:
              > Hey Joy,
              >
              > Glad to see your up and about again. Hope everything went well. Question on the Smiths. I have Smiths that were from VA, then moved to NC to SC, then to Bedford County, TN and married into our Warren line. Have you ever found a connection to the Smiths in Jackson. They are your hubby's line right? I start with
              >
              > John Smith, Sr. b. 31 Jan 1752 in Virginia married to Elizabeth Simpson. Their children start out born NC, then SC then they all move to Bedford County where he dies 12 Mar 1816. Their daughter Sarah Smith, b. 16 Nov 1774 in NC married John M Roberts in Pendleton District, SC, before moving to Bedford with family. Sarah's granddaughter Malinda England married Absolum Williams and they had three daughters marry into our Warren line (Artemesia) and Marr line (Nancy Ann Elizabeth and Mary Malissa B.) I want to track where the other Smith children went. Of John and Elizabeth's children I have
              >
              > William Smith b. 03 Oct 1772 d. 15 Feb 1794
              >
              > John Smith, Jr b. 03 Mar 1779 d.03 Mar 1816
              >
              > Rezin Smith b. 05 Mar 1781 d.06 Jan 1851 (I have several children for him, since it was his family Bible that gives much of our info)
              >
              > Rezin's sons:
              >
              > William Rezin Smith, b. 14 Jul 1822 d. 1864
              >
              > John Rutledge Smith b. 27 Jul 1824 d. 1866
              >
              > Joshua Y. Smith b. 11 Aug 1832
              >
              > James G. Smith b. 10 Jan 1834
              >
              > Malinda England and hubby Absolum moved to AL with other England families and I wondered if some of these Smiths might have dropped down there also. Any names seem familiar?
              >
              > Michaele

            • William Swiderski
              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 9, 2006
                I was hoping for connection. The Smiths are hard to track. I have been in Franklin County, TN a little working on Logan line, but mostly just at library in Chattanooga doing death cert look ups for Morris and Steel lines in Franklin. I'm working on a file of all the families with same name to try and find connections and weed through them. They are a bit like Smiths to research. I need to go to Scottsboro soon though to do some Tidwell and Steel research. Still haven't managed to find a death cert or death date on Levi Andrew Jackson Steel who died in an Alabama prison somewhere in late 1930's or early 1940s. He has been so incredibly frustrating. I only recently learned he was also a Levi, which helped me find him on another census, but his death is completely eluding me. Even more frustrating is another Steel is buried where the book states he should be and there is no marker. I'm sorta panicking to figure this out because hubby will be getting orders in next month or 2 and we will be moving. He is asking for Naples Italy, Sicily , and Iceland. They will of course send him where ever they want, but I'm sure it won't be close enough to do any research, so I'll have to put it aside for about 6 more yrs. Anyway, glad to hear your better and thanks for looking through the Smiths for a match. Tell sis hello for me.

                Michaele

              • joy0420@charter.net
                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 10, 2006
                  Italy, Sicily, Iceland??? Wow, girl, when you say move you mean it! hahaha. Little by little I'm getting back into genealogy, so I'll take what you just sent on LAJ Steel in prison and see. You said there is a stone for another Steel where he is supposed to be, but could he be beside that in an unmarked? Families used to mark out large burial plots, as you know, so it's possible.
                  Anyhoo, take care. It's so great to hear from you.
                  Oh yea, my surgeon (he's Armenian, and his dau has FMF) finally said, after 3+ yrs of observing me, that he is convinced now I do have FMF. He said he first watched to see if I was a drug seeker, if my labs always substantiated my claims of chills/fever etc, and that my flares were consistently the same. Well duh! Doesn't make me feel any better EXCEPT that I can now put a name on what hits me out of the blue. I would love to have the time & resources to track thru the Warren line to see if there are any more like us.