Re: [jacksongenealogy] Death Certificates

  • Pat Alexander
    Message 1 of 18 , Aug 1, 2006
      Wouldn't the courthouse in Scottsboro have death records books? I know Calhoun County does. Also, funeral homes sometimes have published lists. I really need a trip to Scottsboro. I think the actual death certificates have to come from Montgomery. "Think" being the key word.

      Pat

      Message 2 of 18 , Aug 1, 2006
        The death certificates are on micofilm and are at the county health department. So you can go to any county health department in AL to get death certificates for any place in the state. I doubt that they are at the courthouse. The originals of course would be at the state level. What you get is either an uncertified copy or a certified copy from the micofilm.

      • rgpipes@hughes.net
        Message 3 of 18 , Aug 1, 2006
          I was in Nashville this past weekend and picked up some death certificates
          from the Tennessee State library and Archives starting at 1908 through 1924.
          I got the ones I copied for 25 cents. I just didn't know if they were some
          where like that in Jackson County.

          Thanks Clay.
          Regina

          _____

        • joy0420@charter.net
          Message 4 of 18 , Aug 2, 2006
            Clay,
            Are these death certs available to anyone? And from 1908 on, correct? If I was going to get certs for say my hubby's gg gparents, would that be an issue me not being family per se?

            Thanks. JOY