Re: [jacksongenealogy] Obituary for Mattie Phillips

  • Pat Alexander
    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 1, 2006
      I'm truly stunned by all of this information. Would a freezer of ice cream even begin to say "Thank You"? And where on earth did you find this? I hope I can repay your kindness.

      I have pictures of Jim and Tom Smith and Mattie & Ben Phillips. I'll be glad to post them if any of you are interested. I remember them from family reunions but haven't been able to climb the walls. When I began researching, only my Dad and two sisters remained alive. All of them in their late 70s and early 80s. The information I gathered was in constant argument from the other two.

      Everything you have posted is more than gracious and I really appreciate your efforts. You've opened a lot of doors.

      Thanks ever so much,

      Pat Alexander
      Jacksonville, AL

        I would love to have the pics of Jim & Tom, and your Phillips. Seems like my hubby's gmother had a pic with Jim & Tom in it also, as Jim was married to her gma and Tom to her aunt.
        Keeping it all in the family.... JOY

        If you can scan, please forward pics to my work email at joy.smith@...

        Thanks ever so much !!

      • Kybartai@aol.com
        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 2, 2006
          I compiled the books "Alabama Obituaries and Death Notices From the Gadsden
          Times, 1900 - 1905," "Index of Alabama Obituaries From The Gadsden Times, 1960
          - 1969," and "Alabama Obituaries From The Gadsden Times, 1950 - 1959." The
          first one I worked on with a friend, the second with the same friend and my
          husband, and my husband and I did the last one. I try to help wherever I can.

        • Pat Alexander
          Message 4 of 14 , Aug 2, 2006
            Are these books available for sale? I would love to purchase them for Northeast Alabama Genealogical Society housed at Howard Gardner Nichols Memorial Library. It would really be an asset.

            This is my baby and my contribution. http://www.rootsweb.com/~alneags/index.html
            I'm also transcribing the 1902 Voter Registration List for Etowah County. 173 pages of 1902, and then years through 1912. I started putting it on the web site and then found out the registration book....ahemmm..."got lost" from the court house for the purpose of transcribing it for sale by the Society. I'm crossing my fingers that our Probate Judge doesn't remember who he lent it to. What book? I ain't got no book.

            Are you from the Gadsden, Etowah County area? This is really a small, small world, isn't it? Is there any research I can do for you at Nichols? We have over 5000 personal family files, plus, Jerry Jones, the Tax Collector for Etowah County for 374 years donated all of his books and files to the library. He's an incredible speaker, with unbelievable knowledge. Those blue eyes may be fading with age, but they can still sparkle enough to light up the night when he begins to speak. Also, the Gadsden Public Library just reopened after two years of renovation. I'm looking forward to going back.

            Thank you for your contributions to the Jackson County list.

            Pat Alexander
            Jacksonville, AL

            Message 5 of 14 , Aug 2, 2006
              Alabama death certificates more than 25 years old may be ordered by anyone.

              The best deal going is Susette Cook's offer for $3.00. She will even look up the certificate number for you.

              Myself or someone else in the group will do lookups on request.

              Ancestry.com is available at the LDS Family History Centers if you want to do your own lookups.

              Susette Cook's website has a link to look up a Family History Center that nearest to you.

            • Kybartai@aol.com
              Message 6 of 14 , Aug 3, 2006
                Hi Pat,

                I think you already have my books at Nichols Library. Yes I am in Etowah
                county. I am working on the Bean family of Jackson county. The line also
                includes the names of Grider, Saunders, Matthews, Carroll, Lawson, Wallers, Farris,
                and Starkey.

                Speaking of Nichols Library. I have some comb bound family research. Do you
                know if I donate it to the library, will be kept in its binding? Someone told
                me it would be separated and put in the extensive family files. But, I want
                the information to be kept together. Any suggestions?

                Julie

              • Clay Gullatt
                Message 7 of 14 , Aug 3, 2006
                  Julie

                  I would donate it with the priviso that it must remain together as
                  donated or returned to the donar. If the library wants to make a copy
                  and put the copies into family files that would be ok.

                  By the way I did some research on Joseph W.(Wesley)Sanders/Saunders m.
                  Mary M. Hall 28 Apr 1861 plus Culver and Shelton for someone at the
                  jackson-co the other Jackson Co. Yahoo genealogy group.

                  If anyone would like to join that group click the following.

                  jackson-co-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

                  Clay

                • zrcb@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 14 , Aug 3, 2006
                    Julie
                    I just read your email and I noticed one of the families that you do
                    research on is Waller.
                    My name is Charles Boyd and my Ggrandmother was named Mary Waller she was
                    married to Robert Boyd my Ggrandfather. Her parents were Abner Waller Jr and
                    Emily Parker.
                    Do you have those names in your research.
                    My email address is Zrcb@...

                  • Kybartai@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 14 , Aug 3, 2006
                      Thanks for the suggestion about keeping the files together. I don't know
                      just where my Saunders fit yet. Martha Alice Saunders, daughter of Geroge and
                      Phebe Saunders.

                    • Joe&Janelle Burt
                      Message 10 of 14 , Aug 3, 2006
                        I have a James Erin Waller bn in 1922 in Jackson Co., md Lucille Smith.
                        JaNelle

                        zrcb@... wrote:

                        > Julie
                        > I just read your email and I noticed one of the families that you do
                        > research on is Waller.
                        > My name is Charles Boyd and my Ggrandmother was named Mary Waller she was
                        > married to Robert Boyd my Ggrandfather. Her parents were Abner Waller
                        > Jr and
                        > Emily Parker.
                        > Do you have those names in your research.
                        > My email address is Zrcb@... <mailto:Zrcb%40aol.com>

                      • Sgirl0629
                        Message 11 of 14 , Aug 5, 2006
                          Hi. I am connected to those Saunders/Sanders. I started another group for our family branches at:

                          There is a couple of good links on that group you can go to for info. (See the Links section of that group for Jennifer's tree and the Sanders link). These will contain the Saunders/Sanders you mention below.

                          I can also give you some contact information for a couple of Sanders researchers if you would like to email me directly at sgirl0629@... for their info.

                          Thanks,
                          Jennifer

                          Message 12 of 14 , Aug 5, 2006
                            I am a member of the North East Alabama Genealogical Society of Nichols
                            Library. When I noticed your message the other day I felt like I knew the answer to
                            your question but I wanted to check it out with some of the officers to make
                            sure. This is what I was told.

                            Your material would be treated as a family book and would certainly be kept
                            together. We might (with your permission of course) make a copy of some of the
                            family information and put that in the family files. Since we don't take the
                            family books to the swap meet held each year, putting the information in the
                            files would allow those attending the swap meet to see it and perhaps make a
                            connection.

                            Pat

                          • Kybartai@aol.com
                            Message 13 of 14 , Aug 10, 2006
                              Hi Pat,

                              Thanks for the information. I'll see about getting the information together.
                              I don't mind it all being copied and put in the family files. I just want
                              the book to be kept together. Thanks for checking on this for me.

                              Julie