Obituary for Mattie Phillips

  • Kybartai@aol.com
    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 1, 2006
      Phillips, Mattie Bell (Mrs.), age 85, died today, resident of Etowah county
      for 46 years, buried at Clayton cemetery. Survived by children - Joe, and
      Horton Phillips, Mrs. Mae Noles, Mrs. Ola Morgan, Mrs. Ellen Coffman, Mrs. Ethel
      Murray, and Mrs. Mildred O'Bryant, all of Alabama City, Mrs. Mrs. Benny
      Gallagher, of Deerfield, Florida, Mrs. Roxie Bradley, of Gadsden, and siblings - Tom,
      and Jim Smith, of Bridgport. 30 Oct. 1952.

    • Pat Alexander
      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 1, 2006
        I'm truly stunned by all of this information. Would a freezer of ice cream even begin to say "Thank You"? And where on earth did you find this? I hope I can repay your kindness.

        I have pictures of Jim and Tom Smith and Mattie & Ben Phillips. I'll be glad to post them if any of you are interested. I remember them from family reunions but haven't been able to climb the walls. When I began researching, only my Dad and two sisters remained alive. All of them in their late 70s and early 80s. The information I gathered was in constant argument from the other two.

        Everything you have posted is more than gracious and I really appreciate your efforts. You've opened a lot of doors.

        Thanks ever so much,

        Pat Alexander
        Jacksonville, AL

          I would love to have the pics of Jim & Tom, and your Phillips. Seems like my hubby's gmother had a pic with Jim & Tom in it also, as Jim was married to her gma and Tom to her aunt.
          Keeping it all in the family.... JOY

          If you can scan, please forward pics to my work email at joy.smith@...

          Thanks ever so much !!

        • Kybartai@aol.com
          Message 4 of 14 , Aug 2, 2006
            I compiled the books "Alabama Obituaries and Death Notices From the Gadsden
            Times, 1900 - 1905," "Index of Alabama Obituaries From The Gadsden Times, 1960
            - 1969," and "Alabama Obituaries From The Gadsden Times, 1950 - 1959." The
            first one I worked on with a friend, the second with the same friend and my
            husband, and my husband and I did the last one. I try to help wherever I can.

          • Pat Alexander
            Message 5 of 14 , Aug 2, 2006
              Are these books available for sale? I would love to purchase them for Northeast Alabama Genealogical Society housed at Howard Gardner Nichols Memorial Library. It would really be an asset.

              This is my baby and my contribution. http://www.rootsweb.com/~alneags/index.html
              I'm also transcribing the 1902 Voter Registration List for Etowah County. 173 pages of 1902, and then years through 1912. I started putting it on the web site and then found out the registration book....ahemmm..."got lost" from the court house for the purpose of transcribing it for sale by the Society. I'm crossing my fingers that our Probate Judge doesn't remember who he lent it to. What book? I ain't got no book.

              Are you from the Gadsden, Etowah County area? This is really a small, small world, isn't it? Is there any research I can do for you at Nichols? We have over 5000 personal family files, plus, Jerry Jones, the Tax Collector for Etowah County for 374 years donated all of his books and files to the library. He's an incredible speaker, with unbelievable knowledge. Those blue eyes may be fading with age, but they can still sparkle enough to light up the night when he begins to speak. Also, the Gadsden Public Library just reopened after two years of renovation. I'm looking forward to going back.

              Thank you for your contributions to the Jackson County list.

              Pat Alexander
              Jacksonville, AL

              Message 6 of 14 , Aug 2, 2006
                Alabama death certificates more than 25 years old may be ordered by anyone.

                The best deal going is Susette Cook's offer for $3.00. She will even look up the certificate number for you.

                Myself or someone else in the group will do lookups on request.

                Ancestry.com is available at the LDS Family History Centers if you want to do your own lookups.

                Susette Cook's website has a link to look up a Family History Center that nearest to you.

              • Kybartai@aol.com
                Message 7 of 14 , Aug 3, 2006
                  Hi Pat,

                  I think you already have my books at Nichols Library. Yes I am in Etowah
                  county. I am working on the Bean family of Jackson county. The line also
                  includes the names of Grider, Saunders, Matthews, Carroll, Lawson, Wallers, Farris,
                  and Starkey.

                  Speaking of Nichols Library. I have some comb bound family research. Do you
                  know if I donate it to the library, will be kept in its binding? Someone told
                  me it would be separated and put in the extensive family files. But, I want
                  the information to be kept together. Any suggestions?

                  Julie

                • Clay Gullatt
                  Message 8 of 14 , Aug 3, 2006
                    Julie

                    I would donate it with the priviso that it must remain together as
                    donated or returned to the donar. If the library wants to make a copy
                    and put the copies into family files that would be ok.

                    By the way I did some research on Joseph W.(Wesley)Sanders/Saunders m.
                    Mary M. Hall 28 Apr 1861 plus Culver and Shelton for someone at the
                    jackson-co the other Jackson Co. Yahoo genealogy group.

                    If anyone would like to join that group click the following.

                    jackson-co-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

                    Clay

                  • zrcb@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 14 , Aug 3, 2006
                      Julie
                      I just read your email and I noticed one of the families that you do
                      research on is Waller.
                      My name is Charles Boyd and my Ggrandmother was named Mary Waller she was
                      married to Robert Boyd my Ggrandfather. Her parents were Abner Waller Jr and
                      Emily Parker.
                      Do you have those names in your research.
                      My email address is Zrcb@...

                    • Kybartai@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 14 , Aug 3, 2006
                        Thanks for the suggestion about keeping the files together. I don't know
                        just where my Saunders fit yet. Martha Alice Saunders, daughter of Geroge and
                        Phebe Saunders.

                      • Joe&Janelle Burt
                        Message 11 of 14 , Aug 3, 2006
                          I have a James Erin Waller bn in 1922 in Jackson Co., md Lucille Smith.
                          JaNelle

                          zrcb@... wrote:

                          > Julie
                          > I just read your email and I noticed one of the families that you do
                          > research on is Waller.
                          > My name is Charles Boyd and my Ggrandmother was named Mary Waller she was
                          > married to Robert Boyd my Ggrandfather. Her parents were Abner Waller
                          > Jr and
                          > Emily Parker.
                          > Do you have those names in your research.
                          > My email address is Zrcb@... <mailto:Zrcb%40aol.com>

                        • Sgirl0629
                          Message 12 of 14 , Aug 5, 2006
                            Hi. I am connected to those Saunders/Sanders. I started another group for our family branches at:

                            There is a couple of good links on that group you can go to for info. (See the Links section of that group for Jennifer's tree and the Sanders link). These will contain the Saunders/Sanders you mention below.

                            I can also give you some contact information for a couple of Sanders researchers if you would like to email me directly at sgirl0629@... for their info.

                            Thanks,
                            Jennifer

                            Message 13 of 14 , Aug 5, 2006
                              I am a member of the North East Alabama Genealogical Society of Nichols
                              Library. When I noticed your message the other day I felt like I knew the answer to
                              your question but I wanted to check it out with some of the officers to make
                              sure. This is what I was told.

                              Your material would be treated as a family book and would certainly be kept
                              together. We might (with your permission of course) make a copy of some of the
                              family information and put that in the family files. Since we don't take the
                              family books to the swap meet held each year, putting the information in the
                              files would allow those attending the swap meet to see it and perhaps make a
                              connection.

                              Pat

                            • Kybartai@aol.com
                              Message 14 of 14 , Aug 10, 2006
                                Hi Pat,

                                Thanks for the information. I'll see about getting the information together.
                                I don't mind it all being copied and put in the family files. I just want
                                the book to be kept together. Thanks for checking on this for me.

                                Julie