Re: [jacksongenealogy] Smith reunion

  • Pat Alexander
    Message 1 of 15 , Aug 1, 2006
      Joy, thank you SO much. I'm fighting for a day to go to Scottsboro for death certificates on Jim and Tom. Their sister, Martha or Mattie Belle married my Phillips brick wall. These are my great grandparents. Yes, I'll be glad to share what I find. I appreciate your info. I found blue goodles of Mathews lines, but ain't nuttin like looking for a Smith in a haystack.

      Pat Alexander

        Where would one find death certficiates in Scottsboro and what years do they
        go to?
        Regina

        _____

        Message 3 of 15 , Aug 1, 2006
          Regina ,

          You might want to check this website for info on
          ordering Vital Statistics.

          http://ph.state.al.us/Chs/VitalRecords/Death/DEATH.html

          The Alabama Center for Health Statistics began filing
          death certificates in 1908 for persons who died in
          Alabama.

          How to Obtain a Death Certificate:

          By Mail: Send the above information and the
          appropriate fee to:

          Alabama Vital Records

          P. O. Box 5625
          Montgomery, Al 36103-5625

          In Person in Alabama:

          You may go to any county health department in the
          State of Alabama to obtain a certified copy of an
          Alabama death certificate. Most death certificates can
          be issued while you wait. A map showing locations of
          county health departments where vital records may be
          obtained is available.

          Louise Howard

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • joy0420@charter.net
          Message 4 of 15 , Aug 1, 2006
            Pat,
            You don't have a Phillips who married DT Crownover, do you? Was just curious, as my husband's uncle (by marriage) was a Crownover with a Phillips g'mo I think. They are also buried at Mt Carmel in Bridgeport.
            Seems these families all lived and intermarried with one another, didn't they? haha. JOY

            Message 5 of 15 , Aug 1, 2006
              Pat

              Does this help?

              1880 Dist 98 (Township 1 Range 7, Beat 7) Jackson Co. AL
              House 41 Family 42
              William Smith 39 Self Laborer TN NC NC
              Mary 36 Wife Keeping House TN Unknown TN
              Eliza A. 14 Dau TN TN TN
              Martha B. 11 Dau At Home KY TN TN
              John W.B. 6 Son At Home Ky TN TN
              James L. Son 4 At Home TN TN TN
              Thomas B. 4 At Home TN TN TN

              1900 Dist 21 Bolivar, Jackson Co. AL
              House 121 Family 127
              Mary. Smith Head May 1844 56 Wd 6Child/4Living TN TN TN Farmer
              William D. Son May 1874 Single KY TN TN Farm Lab
              Thomas Son May 1877 23 TN TN TN Farm Lab

              House 105 Family 111
              Louvina Mathis Oct 1848 51 Wd 6Child/4Living AL AL NC Farmer
              Martha M. Dau Aug 1893 AL AL AL
              Spiller Bullard Grandson Oct 1897 AL AL AL
              James Smith Servant May 1879 21 TN TN TN Farm Lab

              1910 Dist 22 Bolivar (Dorans Cove Rd) Jackson Co. AL
              House 116 Family 119
              W.B. Smith Head 35 mar.once 10yrs KY TN TN Salesman Gen.Store
              Jennie Wife 29 mar.once 10yrs 0/0Child TN TN TN

              House 118 Family 121
              T.B. Smith Head 32 mar.once 2yrs TN TN TN Farmer
              Maud Wife 32 mar.once 2yrs AL AL AL
              Thelma Dau 10months AL TN AL

              House 133 Family 136
              James Smith Head 35 mar.once 10yrs KY TN TN Farmer
              Louvenia Wife 50 mar.twice 10yrs 6Child/4/Living AL AL AL
              Claud Haymond Grandson 2 AL AL AL

              1920 Dist 22 Bridgeport Jackson Co. AL
              House 40 Family 44
              William Smith Head 50 KY TN TN Famer
              Jenny Wife 38 TN TN TN

              House 41 Family 45
              Tom Smith Head 46 USA USA USA Farmer
              Maud Wife 23 AL USA USA
              Thelma Dau 10 AL USA AL
              Herbert Son 8 AL USA AL
              Frazville Son 4yrs 6months AL USA AL
              Opal Dau 1yr 3months AL USA AL

              House 52 Fmily 57
              James Smith Head 48 TN TN TN Farmer
              Louvina 53 AL AL AL
              Roy Son AL TN AL

              WW1 Draft Reg Cards Jackson Co. AL

              1930 Dist2 (Dorans Cove Rd) Jackson Co AL
              House 101 Family 101
              Thomas B. Smith head 54 Mar. age @1stmar.21 KY KY KY Lab. Rock Quarry
              Letha M. Wife 35 Mar.age@1stmar.15 AL AL AL
              Vera T. Dau 27?? Single AL AL AL (If this is Thelma age should be 20)
              Edward H. Son 18
              Favil H. Son 14
              Opal O. Dau 11

              James Litten Smith
              RFD 1 Bridgeport AL
              age 45? 1 June 187X
              Next of Kin Lovinia Catherine Smith

              Thomas Brittan Smith
              RFD 1 Bridgeport AL
              age 45? 1 June 1873
              Next of Kin Maud Smith

              Images of the Draft Cards if you want them.

              Message 6 of 15 , Aug 1, 2006
                Pat

                1930 Dist 49 (Alabama City) Etowah Co. AL
                B.F. Phillips Head 69 mar @25 GA GA GA None
                Mattie B. Wife 59 mar @19 KY TN TN
                Joe Son 21 Single AL GA KY Machinest Steel Mill
                Mildred Dau 15 Single AL GA KY
                Mary Stallings GrandDau 5 AL AL AL

                1920 Dist 95 (Pct 29) Etowah Co. AL
                Benjamin F. Phillips 58 GA GA GA None
                Mattie B. Wife 48 KY TN TN
                Allions?? Dau 22 AL GA KY Spinner Cotton Mill (Allious?)
                Horton Son 20 Louper Cotton Mill
                Roxie Dau 18 Spinner Cotton Mill
                Ethel Dau 15 Spinner Cotton Mill
                Joe Son 11
                Mildred Dau 5
                Atlis Strum Son in Law 22 TN TN TN Forman Cotton Mill
                Elen Dau 19 AL GA KY Spinner Cotton Mill

                1910 Alabama Ward 1, Etowah Co. AL
                Ben F. Philips Head 48 mar.22yrs TN TN TN Carpenter House
                Mattie B. Wife 40 mar.22yrs 11Child/10Living KY TN TN
                Clarence W. Son 21 AL AL KY Spinner Cotton Mill
                Annie M. 18 Dau AL TN KY Spinner Cotton Mill
                Buisa?? O. 16 Dau AL TN KY Spinner Cotton Mill (Ruisa??)
                Bennie A. 16?? Dau AL TN KY Spinner Cotton Mill
                Mary A. 13 Dau AL TN KY Spinner Cotton Mill
                Hoston 11 Son AL TN KY (Horton
                Lucy E. 9 Dau
                Anthoney?? B. 7 Dau (Roxey)
                Ethel J. 5 Dau
                Joe L. Son 1yr 4months

                Benjamin F. Phillips d. Apr 1933 Etowah Co. AL Vol15 Cert.07025 Roll 3

                Mattie B. Phillips d. 30 Oct 1952 Etowah Co. AL Vol 41 Cert. 20228 Roll 6

                Message 7 of 15 , Aug 1, 2006
                  Susette Cook has about the best deal going, she will send you an uncertified copy of AL death certificates for $3.00. If you order a certified copy from the state it is $12.00.

                  Her website is:

                  http://alabamadeath.tripod.com/

                  You might want to scan through her website she offers a lot of great info and links.

                • rgpipes@hughes.net
                  Message 8 of 15 , Aug 1, 2006
                    I thought someone knew of a place in Scottsboro where you could look them up
                    and make copies while you were there. I knew I could order them BUT thought
                    if I could do the work myself I knew it would be much cheaper.
                    Thanks for the information.
                    Regina

                    _____

                    http://ph.state. <http://ph.state.al.us/Chs/VitalRecords/Death/DEATH.html>

                    Message 9 of 15 , Aug 1, 2006

                      You can get copies of Alabama death certificates at any county health department. If you don't live in Alabama your best bet is Susette Cook's website.

                    • Donna McDaniel
                      Message 10 of 15 , Aug 1, 2006
                        You can go to Wallace State in Hanceville and make
                        copies if you have the death certificate number.

                        Thanks!
                        Donna

                        http://mail.yahoo.com
                      • rgpipes@hughes.net
                        Message 11 of 15 , Aug 1, 2006
                          Any idea where I could look up the death certificate numbers?
                          Thanks
                          Regina

                          _____

                          You can go to Wallace State in Hanceville and make
                          copies if you have the death certificate number.

                          Thanks!
                          Donna

                          --- rgpipes@hughes. <mailto:rgpipes%40hughes.net> net wrote:

                          > I thought someone knew of a place in Scottsboro
                          > where you could look them up
                          > and make copies while you were there. I knew I
                          > could order them BUT thought
                          > if I could do the work myself I knew it would be
                          > much cheaper.
                          > Thanks for the information.
                          > Regina
                          >
                          > _____
                          >
                          > From: jacksongenealogy@ <mailto:jacksongenealogy%40yahoogroups.com>
                          yahoogroups.com

                        • cali_tj
                          Message 12 of 15 , Aug 2, 2006
                            Just wanted everyone to know that I have used Susette Cook in the
                            past and I would recommend her. She is very prompt and the copies
                            she sends are pretty clear. Considering the cost of ordering the
                            film from your local Family History Center, taking the time to look
                            it up and not to mention what kind of copies the machines make, then
                            she is a real bargain.

                            Terry

                            --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com, clay gullatt