Re: [jacksongenealogy] Smith reunion

  • Joy Smith
    Message 1 of 15 , Jul 24, 2006
      The annual SMITH family reunion will be held Sun at the N Alabama Electric Coop with lunch at noonish.
      All descendants of David James"DJ" Smith & Lucy Peyton Grantland Smith are invited to attend.
      DJ is the g'son of Rev Joseph Smith of Bedford/Moore Co TN, & wife Elizabeth Thweatt, who helped found or founded several Methodist Churches in the area (including Turkey Creek Methodist, where he is buried).
      Message 2 of 15 , Jul 24, 2006
        Pat, These 2 Smith twins aren't members of the same SMITH clan having the reunion.
        But, the Mathews are my husbands' family. Lavinia Catherine "Babe" Day was married to James "Puncheon Jim" Mathews. At his death she married James Litton Smith. Her daughter with Puncheon Jim, Maude, married Thomas B. Smith. They are all buried at Mt Carmel Cemetery in Bridgeport Alabama. I'm sure Richard can give you lots more info on them.
        This SMITH reunion's earliest Smith's lived near N. Jackson High School. David James Smith was a blacksmith & Methodist preacher as well. Their children and now descendants are scattered around Bport & Stevenson, and beyond. They originated (locally anyhoo) from Rev Joseph Smith of Moore/Bedford Co.
        If you do obtain info on the Smith twins I'd love to know, as they would be a lateral line thru Babe.
        Thanks JOY
        Would anyone know if this Smith line might include twins, Thomas B. Smith and James Litton Smith?

        To Richard Matthews, Jim married Lavinia Catherine Day (Babe), and Tom married her daughter, Maude. I think they are supposed to be related to James "Puncheon Jim" Matthews. Are these Matthews yours?

        Sure could use a nickel's worth of help.

        Pat Alexander
        Jacksonville, AL
        http://www.rootsweb.com/~alneags/index.html

        --
        Richard Matthews

      • Pat Alexander

          Message 4 of 15 , Aug 1, 2006
            Joy, thank you SO much. I'm fighting for a day to go to Scottsboro for death certificates on Jim and Tom. Their sister, Martha or Mattie Belle married my Phillips brick wall. These are my great grandparents. Yes, I'll be glad to share what I find. I appreciate your info. I found blue goodles of Mathews lines, but ain't nuttin like looking for a Smith in a haystack.

            Pat Alexander

              Where would one find death certficiates in Scottsboro and what years do they
              go to?
              Regina

              _____

              Message 6 of 15 , Aug 1, 2006
                Regina ,

                You might want to check this website for info on
                ordering Vital Statistics.

                http://ph.state.al.us/Chs/VitalRecords/Death/DEATH.html

                The Alabama Center for Health Statistics began filing
                death certificates in 1908 for persons who died in
                Alabama.

                How to Obtain a Death Certificate:

                By Mail: Send the above information and the
                appropriate fee to:

                Alabama Vital Records

                P. O. Box 5625
                Montgomery, Al 36103-5625

                In Person in Alabama:

                You may go to any county health department in the
                State of Alabama to obtain a certified copy of an
                Alabama death certificate. Most death certificates can
                be issued while you wait. A map showing locations of
                county health departments where vital records may be
                obtained is available.

                Louise Howard

                http://mail.yahoo.com
              • joy0420@charter.net
                Message 7 of 15 , Aug 1, 2006
                  Pat,
                  You don't have a Phillips who married DT Crownover, do you? Was just curious, as my husband's uncle (by marriage) was a Crownover with a Phillips g'mo I think. They are also buried at Mt Carmel in Bridgeport.
                  Seems these families all lived and intermarried with one another, didn't they? haha. JOY

                  Message 8 of 15 , Aug 1, 2006
                    Pat

                    Does this help?

                    1880 Dist 98 (Township 1 Range 7, Beat 7) Jackson Co. AL
                    House 41 Family 42
                    William Smith 39 Self Laborer TN NC NC
                    Mary 36 Wife Keeping House TN Unknown TN
                    Eliza A. 14 Dau TN TN TN
                    Martha B. 11 Dau At Home KY TN TN
                    John W.B. 6 Son At Home Ky TN TN
                    James L. Son 4 At Home TN TN TN
                    Thomas B. 4 At Home TN TN TN

                    1900 Dist 21 Bolivar, Jackson Co. AL
                    House 121 Family 127
                    Mary. Smith Head May 1844 56 Wd 6Child/4Living TN TN TN Farmer
                    William D. Son May 1874 Single KY TN TN Farm Lab
                    Thomas Son May 1877 23 TN TN TN Farm Lab

                    House 105 Family 111
                    Louvina Mathis Oct 1848 51 Wd 6Child/4Living AL AL NC Farmer
                    Martha M. Dau Aug 1893 AL AL AL
                    Spiller Bullard Grandson Oct 1897 AL AL AL
                    James Smith Servant May 1879 21 TN TN TN Farm Lab

                    1910 Dist 22 Bolivar (Dorans Cove Rd) Jackson Co. AL
                    House 116 Family 119
                    W.B. Smith Head 35 mar.once 10yrs KY TN TN Salesman Gen.Store
                    Jennie Wife 29 mar.once 10yrs 0/0Child TN TN TN

                    House 118 Family 121
                    T.B. Smith Head 32 mar.once 2yrs TN TN TN Farmer
                    Maud Wife 32 mar.once 2yrs AL AL AL
                    Thelma Dau 10months AL TN AL

                    House 133 Family 136
                    James Smith Head 35 mar.once 10yrs KY TN TN Farmer
                    Louvenia Wife 50 mar.twice 10yrs 6Child/4/Living AL AL AL
                    Claud Haymond Grandson 2 AL AL AL

                    1920 Dist 22 Bridgeport Jackson Co. AL
                    House 40 Family 44
                    William Smith Head 50 KY TN TN Famer
                    Jenny Wife 38 TN TN TN

                    House 41 Family 45
                    Tom Smith Head 46 USA USA USA Farmer
                    Maud Wife 23 AL USA USA
                    Thelma Dau 10 AL USA AL
                    Herbert Son 8 AL USA AL
                    Frazville Son 4yrs 6months AL USA AL
                    Opal Dau 1yr 3months AL USA AL

                    House 52 Fmily 57
                    James Smith Head 48 TN TN TN Farmer
                    Louvina 53 AL AL AL
                    Roy Son AL TN AL

                    WW1 Draft Reg Cards Jackson Co. AL

                    1930 Dist2 (Dorans Cove Rd) Jackson Co AL
                    House 101 Family 101
                    Thomas B. Smith head 54 Mar. age @1stmar.21 KY KY KY Lab. Rock Quarry
                    Letha M. Wife 35 Mar.age@1stmar.15 AL AL AL
                    Vera T. Dau 27?? Single AL AL AL (If this is Thelma age should be 20)
                    Edward H. Son 18
                    Favil H. Son 14
                    Opal O. Dau 11

                    James Litten Smith
                    RFD 1 Bridgeport AL
                    age 45? 1 June 187X
                    Next of Kin Lovinia Catherine Smith

                    Thomas Brittan Smith
                    RFD 1 Bridgeport AL
                    age 45? 1 June 1873
                    Next of Kin Maud Smith

                    Images of the Draft Cards if you want them.

                    Message 9 of 15 , Aug 1, 2006
                      Pat

                      1930 Dist 49 (Alabama City) Etowah Co. AL
                      B.F. Phillips Head 69 mar @25 GA GA GA None
                      Mattie B. Wife 59 mar @19 KY TN TN
                      Joe Son 21 Single AL GA KY Machinest Steel Mill
                      Mildred Dau 15 Single AL GA KY
                      Mary Stallings GrandDau 5 AL AL AL

                      1920 Dist 95 (Pct 29) Etowah Co. AL
                      Benjamin F. Phillips 58 GA GA GA None
                      Mattie B. Wife 48 KY TN TN
                      Allions?? Dau 22 AL GA KY Spinner Cotton Mill (Allious?)
                      Horton Son 20 Louper Cotton Mill
                      Roxie Dau 18 Spinner Cotton Mill
                      Ethel Dau 15 Spinner Cotton Mill
                      Joe Son 11
                      Mildred Dau 5
                      Atlis Strum Son in Law 22 TN TN TN Forman Cotton Mill
                      Elen Dau 19 AL GA KY Spinner Cotton Mill

                      1910 Alabama Ward 1, Etowah Co. AL
                      Ben F. Philips Head 48 mar.22yrs TN TN TN Carpenter House
                      Mattie B. Wife 40 mar.22yrs 11Child/10Living KY TN TN
                      Clarence W. Son 21 AL AL KY Spinner Cotton Mill
                      Annie M. 18 Dau AL TN KY Spinner Cotton Mill
                      Buisa?? O. 16 Dau AL TN KY Spinner Cotton Mill (Ruisa??)
                      Bennie A. 16?? Dau AL TN KY Spinner Cotton Mill
                      Mary A. 13 Dau AL TN KY Spinner Cotton Mill
                      Hoston 11 Son AL TN KY (Horton
                      Lucy E. 9 Dau
                      Anthoney?? B. 7 Dau (Roxey)
                      Ethel J. 5 Dau
                      Joe L. Son 1yr 4months

                      Benjamin F. Phillips d. Apr 1933 Etowah Co. AL Vol15 Cert.07025 Roll 3

                      Mattie B. Phillips d. 30 Oct 1952 Etowah Co. AL Vol 41 Cert. 20228 Roll 6

                      Message 10 of 15 , Aug 1, 2006
                        Susette Cook has about the best deal going, she will send you an uncertified copy of AL death certificates for $3.00. If you order a certified copy from the state it is $12.00.

                        Her website is:

                        http://alabamadeath.tripod.com/

                        You might want to scan through her website she offers a lot of great info and links.

                      • rgpipes@hughes.net
                        Message 11 of 15 , Aug 1, 2006
                          I thought someone knew of a place in Scottsboro where you could look them up
                          and make copies while you were there. I knew I could order them BUT thought
                          if I could do the work myself I knew it would be much cheaper.
                          Thanks for the information.
                          Regina

                          _____

                          http://ph.state. <http://ph.state.al.us/Chs/VitalRecords/Death/DEATH.html>

                          Message 12 of 15 , Aug 1, 2006

                            You can get copies of Alabama death certificates at any county health department. If you don't live in Alabama your best bet is Susette Cook's website.

                          • Donna McDaniel
                            Message 13 of 15 , Aug 1, 2006
                              You can go to Wallace State in Hanceville and make
                              copies if you have the death certificate number.

                              Thanks!
                              Donna

                              http://mail.yahoo.com
                            • rgpipes@hughes.net
                              Message 14 of 15 , Aug 1, 2006
                                Any idea where I could look up the death certificate numbers?
                                Thanks
                                Regina

                                _____

                                You can go to Wallace State in Hanceville and make
                                copies if you have the death certificate number.

                                Thanks!
                                Donna

                                --- rgpipes@hughes. <mailto:rgpipes%40hughes.net> net wrote:

                                > I thought someone knew of a place in Scottsboro
                                > where you could look them up
                                > and make copies while you were there. I knew I
                                > could order them BUT thought
                                > if I could do the work myself I knew it would be
                                > much cheaper.
                                > Thanks for the information.
                                > Regina
                                >
                                > _____
                                >
                                > From: jacksongenealogy@ <mailto:jacksongenealogy%40yahoogroups.com>
                                yahoogroups.com

                              • cali_tj
                                Message 15 of 15 , Aug 2, 2006
                                  Just wanted everyone to know that I have used Susette Cook in the
                                  past and I would recommend her. She is very prompt and the copies
                                  she sends are pretty clear. Considering the cost of ordering the
                                  film from your local Family History Center, taking the time to look
                                  it up and not to mention what kind of copies the machines make, then
                                  she is a real bargain.

                                  Terry

                                  --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com, clay gullatt