COOLEY/FOX and SMITH, Alabama & Tennessee

  • rgpipes@hughes.net
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 27, 2006
      The more I dig the deeper I get in the hole. Now I know why I have been
      putting this side of my family off. BUT it is time to grit my teeth and dig
      in. My grandparents were James William COOLEY and Lucinda Annie Jane SMITH.
      Both were born in Tennessee, James in Nov., 1883 and Annie a few years
      after. I know that James William COOLEY'S parents were Jesse and Martha
      COOLEY that lived in Bledsoe County, Tennessee. I think Martha was a COOLEY
      before she married Jesse. Lucinda Annie Jane SMITH'S parents were Isaac
      SMITH and Mary Jane HICKS SMITH. Mary Jane HICKS SMITH moved her four
      children to Jackson County, Alabama after the 1880 census (only had two
      children at that time) because I know they were in Bledsoe County during the
      census. In the 1900 Jackson County census there was Jim SMITH as head of
      house, Mary J. SMITH as mother and a widow, Martha as sister, Isaac as
      brother and Annie as sister all born in Tennessee so Isaac the father must
      have died before 1900. BUT rumors have it that Mary J. SMITH left her blind
      Isaac in Tennessee BUT there is no proof. Since so many of the papers were
      burned at one time or other I haven't made it to Bledsoe to check on
      anything. I really don't know where to start. Why did James William COOLEY
      move to Jackson County, Alabama where he married Lucinda Annie Jane SMITH.
      Were they related? I know that there were many COOLEY/SMITH marriages in
      this family. My mother Jerusha COOLEY said that James William was always
      saying that his mother or grandmother was a FOX. Was Martha or Jesse's
      mother Mary A. FOX that was born abt 1828 and died 1910 that married a
      Robert S. COOLEY? It could be either one of them. The name pattern seems
      to fit. Jesse COOLEY and Martha COOLEY, my great grandparents named their
      children Dorthie Ida COOLEY that was born 1871, her last husband was a
      SMITH, John Robert COOLEY born 1873 that married Mary DOTSON, Mary Elizabeth
      born 1877 that married James M. BOYD, Phillip COOLEY b. 1880 married Annie
      L. BROCK, my grandfather James William and Jesse George COOLEY b. 1885 that
      was married to two SMITH'S the last one being Effie Jane SMITH.

      Can anyone help me straighten out my family or offer a way to start. I have
      two large files where I have started but get so confused I put them away
      until a later day. I have a few death certificates but they don't help
      much.

      Thanks for any help.