Re: [jacksongenealogy] RE: Padgett Family from Holly Tree area

  • Betty Huggins
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 25, 2000
      Jewel,

      I cannot email you privately...I guess the list is not set up to do that.  No, I don't have the book and would appreciate any help you can give me.

      Thanks,

      Betty Huggins
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 25, 2000
        Anne, this is what I found in the "Paint Rock Valley Pioneers":

        This very  large hillside cemetery, with many unmarked graves, is located in Township 3 South, Range 4 East, Section 6, left of Alabama Highway 65 between Hollytree and Princeton.  At one time there was a tanyard near, thus the name.

        Black people are said to be buried here but we found no markers for those graves.  The cemetery is very overgrown with a vine covering many of the stones that are on the ground.

        AUSTIN OLD TANYARD CEMETERY

        WJB Padgett
        Born Oct. 2nd, 1817
        Died Oct. 31st, 1898
        81 yrs, 29 da.
        "A loving companion, a father dear lies buried here."

        Mary Ann, Wife of WJB Padgett
        Born Feb. 22, 1824
        Died Aug. 28th, 1895
        Aged 71 ys, 6 mo & 6 ds
        "A loving wife a mother dear lies buried here."

        Sacred to the memory of Elizabeth Padgett, consort of Nehemiah Padget and mother of WJB Padget
        April 5, 1850  64 years (this stone is broken)

        In memory of William N. Padgett
        Born Jan. 12, 1818
        Died Feb. 24th, 1853

        James Posey Padgett
        Born April 18, 1842
        Died April 16, 1862

        "Gone to Rest."
        Sacred to the memory of Fannie Posey Horton
        Consort of J.J. Horton
        Daughter of WJB and M.A Padgett
        Born May 7th 1862 aged 21 years 1 mo and 12 days and her little babe
        Willie Ann
        Both died June 19th 1883
        Babe aged ____24 days.

        Sacred to the memory of Willie Ida Padgett youngest child of WJB and M.A. Padgett
        Born Jan. 22, 1865
        Died March 28th, 1884
        Aged 19 years 2 mo and 6 days
        "Blssed are the dead which die in the Lord for theirs is the Kingdom of Heaven and their works will follow them."

        "Our dear little Brice is gone to rest."
        Sacred to the memory of Henry Brison Padgett son of D.A. and M.L. Padgett
        Born Aug. 23rd, 1877
        Died July 27th, 1883
        Aged 5 years 11 mos and 4 days.

        In meory of David A. Padgett
        Born Aug. 25th, 1854
        Died May 31st, 1887
        Aged 32 years 9 mo and 6 days
        "A precious one from us has gone
        A voice we loved is stilled
        A place is vacant in our home which never can be filled
        God in his wisdom has recalled the boon his love had given and though his body moulders here the soul is safe in heaven."

        Sacred to the memory of Walter Benjamin Padgett son of D.A. and M.L. Padgett
        Born Dec. 23rd, 1881
        Died July 8th, 1883
        Aged 1 year 6 mo and 15 da

        Hope this helps you, there is some more about this family in the book, but will have to get together.
        Jewel

        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 25, 2000
          1870 Jackson County, AL T3  R3
          98-98
          Wm. J. Padget        52    NC
          Mary A.                  46    TN
          Elizabeth J.             30    AL
          Margaret M.           22    AL
          Louisa L.                18    AL
          David A.                16    AL
          Mary A.                 14    AL
          Ella C.                     12    AL
          Fannie                   10    AL
          Willie I.                      5    AL
          Cathy Williamson    12    AL
          Florence McCord    67    AL

          Ella C. Padgett married Paul M. Robertson
          Clay Cemetery
          Paul M. Robertson
          July 25, 1857
          Aug. 10, 1938

          Ella C. (Padgett)
          Oct. 14, 1859
          May 15, 1924

          Florence A. Padgett married Levi Phillips
          Clay Cemetery
          Flora Phillips
          Feb.     6, 1844
          Mar.    13, 1922

          This is all I see.  Hope that helps
          Jewel

          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 26, 2000
            I wish to thank Jewel Casey for the information she placed on the list about the Padgetts.  That was a lot of works....Thank you, Jewel.

            Betty Huggins
          • J Casey
            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 26, 2000
              You are very welcome.  I'm interested in several families in Jackson County.  ANDERSON--CAMPBELL--CASEY--DAMRON--FANNING--GRAHAM--HAMBRICK--HILL--JOHNSON--VANN--WHITE just to name a few.
              Jewel D. (Hambrick) Graham Casey

            • MaryTom482@aol.com
              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 26, 2000
                Jewel... that Dameron could not be Cameron (I wish)?????
              • J Casey
                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 26, 2000
                  No, it was definately DAMERON/DAMRON.
                  What Cameron's are ypu looking for?