Re: [jacksongenealogy] Re: Hastings-Shankle(s) Jesse G. Shankles and Mary Jan...

  • PATG31@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 19, 2006
      See inserts!
      Pat

      In a message dated 7/19/2006 6:49:33 PM Central Daylight Time,
      blackcloud27030@... writes:
      1870 Kirby's Mill Jackson Co. AL
      House 40 Family 40
      Jessie Shankles 29 Farmer AL
      Ellen 28 Keeping House GA
      Susan 12 GA
      William 7 GA
      Lemuel 3 AL
      Charles 1 AL

      Ellen is (from a family tree) Ellen Wooten, Jesse G.'s second wife
      married Oct 1866 probably in GA. The two oldest children above would
      be Mary Jane Newton's. I could not find a marriage listing in GA or AL.

      ++++++++++
      The oldest child, Susan, was the daughter of Ellen and her first husband,
      Cornelius Goble.
      William was the child of Jesse Shankle and first wife Fanny Jane Newton. I
      know you meant Fanny Jane. Jesse and Ellen lived in AL at the time of their
      marriage but I haven't found a listing either.
      ++++++++++

      1880 Beat 24 Jackson Co. AL
      House 102 Family 105
      Jessie G. Shankles 41 Farmer AL TN --
      Ellen 39 Wife Keeping House GA NC NC
      Lemuel K. 11 Son At School AL AL GA
      Charles W. 10 Son At School AL AL GA
      Clasanponomea 9 Dau AL AL GA
      Ariansephonia 9 Dau AL AL GA
      Semantha 5 Dau AL AL GA
      Jasper N. 3 Son

      Had to include the 1880 just because of the twin daughter's names, not
      sure but may be two names run together.
      ++++++++
      The names of the twins as given to me by my great aunt [daughter of Lemuel K.
      Shankle] were Clarissann Sonomia and Ariann Sephronia. She was not 100% sure
      of the spellings, however.
      +++++++++

      What is the correct spelling Shankle or Shankles?
      +++++++++
      My line from Lemuel Shankle forward spelled the name Shankle with no 's' at
      the end. In fact I have heard them say that we were not related to those who
      spelled their name Shankles. Since I have been working on family history I have
      learned that the two groups were definitely related and both names are found
      in the older records and are used interchangeably.

      Pat