Re: Hastings-Shankle(s) Jesse G. Shankles and Mary Jane Newton

  • Clay Gullatt
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 19, 2006
      Pat

      As Nicole said Nancy Jane Shankles was Hannah's aunt.

      Fanny Jane Newton was Jesse G. Shankles first wife. They were married
      17 Nov 1858 in DeKalb Co. AL. I believe Fanny Jane Newton was Mary
      Jane Newton's aunt.

      1860 Rawlingsville PO, Northern Div. DeKalb Co. AL
      House 561 Family 561
      Albert Newton 23 Farmer TN
      Elizabeth 25 Domestic TN
      Mary Jane 7 AL
      Eliza E. 5 AL
      Fanny 11months AL

      House 562 Family 562
      Jesse Shankle 20 Farmer AL
      Fanny J. 18 Domestic TN

      Fanny Jane was I believe Albert Newton's sister.

      1870 Kirby's Mill Jackson Co. AL
      House 40 Family 40
      Jessie Shankles 29 Farmer AL
      Ellen 28 Keeping House GA
      Susan 12 GA
      William 7 GA
      Lemuel 3 AL
      Charles 1 AL

      Ellen is (from a family tree) Ellen Wooten, Jesse G.'s second wife
      married Oct 1866 probably in GA. The two oldest children above would
      be Mary Jane Newton's. I could not find a marriage listing in GA or AL.

      1880 Beat 24 Jackson Co. AL
      House 102 Family 105
      Jessie G. Shankles 41 Farmer AL TN --
      Ellen 39 Wife Keeping House GA NC NC
      Lemuel K. 11 Son At School AL AL GA
      Charles W. 10 Son At School AL AL GA
      Clasanponomea 9 Dau AL AL GA
      Ariansephonia 9 Dau AL AL GA
      Semantha 5 Dau AL AL GA
      Jasper N. 3 Son

      Had to include the 1880 just because of the twin daughter's names, not
      sure but may be two names run together.

      1900 Kirby's Mill Jackson Co. AL
      House 48 Family 51
      Jessee G. Shankle Head Feb 1839 61 Wd mar.34yrs 7Child/5Living AL AL AL
      Cleassa A. Dau Apr 1872 28 Single AL AL AL

      Here is the listing for Nancy Jane Shankles to Stephen Hastings.

      Stephen Hasten m. Nancy Jane Shankles Lic. Issued 16 July 1845 married
      20 July 1845 Marshall Co. AL by Murphy Bruce Page 253.

      Hopefully I have kept all the back and forth name spelling changes right.

      What is the correct spelling Shankle or Shankles?