Re: [jacksongenealogy] RE: Padgett Family from Holly Tree area

  • J Casey
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 24, 2000
      Hi Betty, do you happen to have "Paint Rovk Valley Pioneers"  a cemetery book with a lot of other info included in it, by Kittye Vandiver Henshaw, Evelyn Smith Rochell and Addie Katherine Stovall Shaver?  If not, there's  5 pages with Padgetts listed, will be glad to see what you don't have listed in this book.
      Good luck
      Jewel

      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 25, 2000
        Jewel,

        I cannot email you privately...I guess the list is not set up to do that.  No, I don't have the book and would appreciate any help you can give me.

        Thanks,

        Betty Huggins

        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 25, 2000
          Anne, this is what I found in the "Paint Rock Valley Pioneers":

          This very  large hillside cemetery, with many unmarked graves, is located in Township 3 South, Range 4 East, Section 6, left of Alabama Highway 65 between Hollytree and Princeton.  At one time there was a tanyard near, thus the name.

          Black people are said to be buried here but we found no markers for those graves.  The cemetery is very overgrown with a vine covering many of the stones that are on the ground.

          AUSTIN OLD TANYARD CEMETERY

          WJB Padgett
          Born Oct. 2nd, 1817
          Died Oct. 31st, 1898
          81 yrs, 29 da.
          "A loving companion, a father dear lies buried here."

          Mary Ann, Wife of WJB Padgett
          Born Feb. 22, 1824
          Died Aug. 28th, 1895
          Aged 71 ys, 6 mo & 6 ds
          "A loving wife a mother dear lies buried here."

          Sacred to the memory of Elizabeth Padgett, consort of Nehemiah Padget and mother of WJB Padget
          April 5, 1850  64 years (this stone is broken)

          In memory of William N. Padgett
          Born Jan. 12, 1818
          Died Feb. 24th, 1853

          James Posey Padgett
          Born April 18, 1842
          Died April 16, 1862

          "Gone to Rest."
          Sacred to the memory of Fannie Posey Horton
          Consort of J.J. Horton
          Daughter of WJB and M.A Padgett
          Born May 7th 1862 aged 21 years 1 mo and 12 days and her little babe
          Willie Ann
          Both died June 19th 1883
          Babe aged ____24 days.

          Sacred to the memory of Willie Ida Padgett youngest child of WJB and M.A. Padgett
          Born Jan. 22, 1865
          Died March 28th, 1884
          Aged 19 years 2 mo and 6 days
          "Blssed are the dead which die in the Lord for theirs is the Kingdom of Heaven and their works will follow them."

          "Our dear little Brice is gone to rest."
          Sacred to the memory of Henry Brison Padgett son of D.A. and M.L. Padgett
          Born Aug. 23rd, 1877
          Died July 27th, 1883
          Aged 5 years 11 mos and 4 days.

          In meory of David A. Padgett
          Born Aug. 25th, 1854
          Died May 31st, 1887
          Aged 32 years 9 mo and 6 days
          "A precious one from us has gone
          A voice we loved is stilled
          A place is vacant in our home which never can be filled
          God in his wisdom has recalled the boon his love had given and though his body moulders here the soul is safe in heaven."

          Sacred to the memory of Walter Benjamin Padgett son of D.A. and M.L. Padgett
          Born Dec. 23rd, 1881
          Died July 8th, 1883
          Aged 1 year 6 mo and 15 da

          Hope this helps you, there is some more about this family in the book, but will have to get together.
          Jewel

          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 25, 2000
            1870 Jackson County, AL T3  R3
            98-98
            Wm. J. Padget        52    NC
            Mary A.                  46    TN
            Elizabeth J.             30    AL
            Margaret M.           22    AL
            Louisa L.                18    AL
            David A.                16    AL
            Mary A.                 14    AL
            Ella C.                     12    AL
            Fannie                   10    AL
            Willie I.                      5    AL
            Cathy Williamson    12    AL
            Florence McCord    67    AL

            Ella C. Padgett married Paul M. Robertson
            Clay Cemetery
            Paul M. Robertson
            July 25, 1857
            Aug. 10, 1938

            Ella C. (Padgett)
            Oct. 14, 1859
            May 15, 1924

            Florence A. Padgett married Levi Phillips
            Clay Cemetery
            Flora Phillips
            Feb.     6, 1844
            Mar.    13, 1922

            This is all I see.  Hope that helps
            Jewel

            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 26, 2000
              I wish to thank Jewel Casey for the information she placed on the list about the Padgetts.  That was a lot of works....Thank you, Jewel.

              Betty Huggins
            • J Casey
              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 26, 2000
                You are very welcome.  I'm interested in several families in Jackson County.  ANDERSON--CAMPBELL--CASEY--DAMRON--FANNING--GRAHAM--HAMBRICK--HILL--JOHNSON--VANN--WHITE just to name a few.
                Jewel D. (Hambrick) Graham Casey

              • MaryTom482@aol.com
                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 26, 2000
                  Jewel... that Dameron could not be Cameron (I wish)?????
                • J Casey
                  Message 8 of 10 , Nov 26, 2000
                    No, it was definately DAMERON/DAMRON.
                    What Cameron's are ypu looking for?