Re: [jacksongenealogy] Hastings,- Shankles

  • Nicole Hastings-Burruss
    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 8, 2006
      Hi!
      Stephens first wife was Nancy Jane Shankles (my great great grandmother). After Nancy died, Stephen married her neice Hannah Shankles.

      -Nicole Hastings-Burruss

      PATG31@... wrote:
      Does anyone have a Hastings - Shankles connection?

      Pat

    • itsa secret
      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 8, 2006
        Nicole,
        Sarah was James & Mary's 2nd child. She was
        married by 1895 so she is not listed on the 1910
        census with her parents. Her older sister
        Margaret(Ellen)? Is also not listed with her parents.
        I'm not sure if James & Mary had the last 2 daughters?
        Minnie & Lillie? Do you know of them? Sarah had 3
        daughters:
        Minnie Elizabeth
        Ollie Mae
        Lillie Mae
        I am wondering if the last 2 girls listed as James and
        Mary's were actually Sarah's as she was widowed by
        1910?
        Or maybe Sarah named her girls after her sisters? The
        birthdates are very close so i'm not sure.
        If Minnie and Lillie belong to Mary she would have had
        them in her late 40's, although that might not be that
        uncommon then.
        Minnie E. King was my great-grandmother, Sarah
        (Sallie)Hasting King was her mother. 2 of Sarah's
        sisters are shown living with her on different census
        infos. Margaret(Ellen) and Martha J.
        Are you in contact with relatives that might know
        about the Minnie and Lillie listed. Mr. Reed is Fate
        Lavon's grandson. He has contacted his cousin for
        information. Any information you can share is very
        much appreciated. Thank-you always, Allie

        --- Nicole Hastings-Burruss
        <n_hastings_burruss@...> wrote:

        > Stephen Jr's son, James R Hastings, was my great
        > grandfather. I do not have a Sarah listed as one of
        > my grandfathers sisters but that doesn't mean she
        > wasn't. In the 1910 census, James and his wife Mary
        > state they have 12 children but my family only need
        > of the following:
        > Stephen Albert Hastings
        > James William
        > John Henry
        > Louis Henry (my grandfather)
        > Lillie Mae
        > Martha
        > Fate Lavon
        > Robert W
        > Minnie
        >
        > NOTE: This is not the order they were born in.
        >
        > Please forward me your information on Sarah and
        > James and I will see what I can match it up with!
        >
        > -Nicole Hastings-Burruss
        >

        > PATG31@... wrote:
        > No, I have nothing on James Hasting's
        > children.
        >
        > Pat

        > Daylight Time,
        > allicanbeisme@... writes:
        > Pat,
        > I believe Stephen Hastings Jr.'s 1st and 2nd wife
        > were Shankles from what i've read and census
        > information. I am looking for his son James
        > Hasting's
        > Daughter Sarah Hasting King. She had 3 daughters.
        > Minnie, Ollie and Lillie. Do you have any
        > information
        > on this line. Thanks, Allie

        > removed]

        > removed]

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Earl T. Reed
        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 9, 2006
          I think that Sarah probably named her girls after her sister. This has been
          a common thing to do. I actually remember Lillie Mae. She was one of the
          two of my grandfather Fate's siblings that I have met. The other is
          Nicole's grandfather Louis. At my grandfather's funeral, Lillie Mae was
          mourning the loss of her brother, not her uncle. I plan to get by the
          cemetery where Fate and Lillie Mae are buried sometime in the next week or
          so. If anyone is interested in any gravestone pictures, I will need an
          email to send them to. I remember Luke Hastings who was buried there around
          spring of 1954. Several Sheltons and a few Halls are there.

          Earl Reed

          <n_hastings_burruss@...> wrote:

          > Stephen Jr's son, James R Hastings, was my great
          > grandfather. I do not have a Sarah listed as one of
          > my grandfathers sisters but that doesn't mean she
          > wasn't. In the 1910 census, James and his wife Mary
          > state they have 12 children but my family only need
          > of the following:
          > Stephen Albert Hastings
          > James William
          > John Henry
          > Louis Henry (my grandfather)
          > Lillie Mae
          > Martha
          > Fate Lavon
          > Robert W
          > Minnie
          >
          > NOTE: This is not the order they were born in.
          >
          > Please forward me your information on Sarah and
          > James and I will see what I can match it up with!
          >
          > -Nicole Hastings-Burruss
          >

          > PATG31@... wrote:
          > No, I have nothing on James Hasting's
          > children.
          >
          > Pat

          > Daylight Time,
          > allicanbeisme@... writes:
          > Pat,
          > I believe Stephen Hastings Jr.'s 1st and 2nd wife
          > were Shankles from what i've read and census
          > information. I am looking for his son James
          > Hasting's
          > Daughter Sarah Hasting King. She had 3 daughters.
          > Minnie, Ollie and Lillie. Do you have any
          > information
          > on this line. Thanks, Allie

          > removed]

          > removed]

        • Nicole Hastings-Burruss
          Message 4 of 14 , Jul 9, 2006
            I am positive of all the children I listed. I am excited to find out about Sarah and Ellen. Do you know who they married?

            Earl-
            Please send me any pics you take?

            Also, does anyone know where James and Mary are buried?

            http://mail.yahoo.com

            Message 5 of 14 , Jul 9, 2006
              Hi,
              Was your James Hastings - James William Hastings born 2/6/1892 Jackson
              County, AL married Ollie Jane Bowen? If so please contact me.
              Jean Bowen
              Gullick99@...

            • itsa secret
              Message 6 of 14 , Jul 10, 2006
                Nicole,
                Can you give me information on the other
                siblings? Do you have any pictures of any of James &
                Mary's children or of James & Mary? I too would like
                to know where they are buried.

                Earl,
                I would like pictures also when you get a chance.
                I was able to pull up Hall cemetary on the computer.
                I believe it said Lillie Mae 1899. I did not find a
                listing for Sarah, as I hoped she might have been
                buried by other family members. There were lots of
                Hastings there. I thought maybe she would be buried by
                her brothers and sisters. Also, you mentioned you
                have an Aunt and Uncle that might have heard of Sarah
                (Sallie)?

                --- Nicole Hastings-Burruss

                http://mail.yahoo.com
              • Nicole Hastings-Burruss
                Message 7 of 14 , Jul 11, 2006
                  I have a pictures of Fate, Lewis, and Lillie Mae. I can get pictures of Minnie and Johnnie because they both lived here in Arkansas too and some of my cousins are still here. I do not have any pictures of James and Mary. I will post the pictures I have or send them soon.

                  Who did Sarah and Ellen marry?

                  <n_hastings_burruss@...> wrote:

> [...]
                  > > Fate Lavon
                  > > Robert W
                  > > Minnie
                  > >
                  > > NOTE: This is not the order they were born in.
                  > >
                  > > Please forward me your information on Sarah and
                  > > James and I will see what I can match it up with!
                  > >
                  > > -Nicole Hastings-Burruss
                  > >

                  > > PATG31@... wrote:
                  > > No, I have nothing on James Hasting's
                  > > children.
                  > >
                  > > Pat
                  > >
                  > > In a message dated 7/7/2006 5:33:17 PM Central
                  > > Daylight Time,
                  > > allicanbeisme@... writes:
                  > > Pat,
                  > > I believe Stephen Hastings Jr.'s 1st and 2nd wife
                  > > were Shankles from what i've read and census
                  > > information. I am looking for his son James
                  > > Hasting's
                  > > Daughter Sarah Hasting King. She had 3 daughters.
                  > > Minnie, Ollie and Lillie. Do you have any

                  http://mail.yahoo.com

                • Nicole Hastings-Burruss

                    Message 9 of 14 , Jul 11, 2006
                      Hi Nicole,
                      Sarah (Sallie) married Nichalas King
                      Ellen (Margaret) married Newton Word
                      In 1910 they are listed as living next to thier
                      younger brother Robert.
                      Do you think any of your cousins might know of these 2
                      older siblings? Please email me some pics when you can
                      of their brothers and sisters. My email is
                      allicanbeisme@... . Thank-You, Allie

                      --- Nicole Hastings-Burruss

                      http://mail.yahoo.com
                    • Earl T. Reed
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jul 18, 2006
                        Several have asked about the Hastings family. My cousin Jim is into
                        genealogy big time, and he and his wife have visited many of our ancestral
                        areas. I asked him for a summary of what he had on our grandfather, Fate L.
                        Hastings. My mother was widowed four months before I was born, so she moved
                        back home with Fate and Lucy. I knew a lot about him and Lucy by growing up
                        in their household. For instance, the Mormon web site and many exchanges on
                        this forum have listed his middle name as Lavon; it was Lavan. Jim talks
                        about this in the email I had from him this morning.

                        One question I had for Jim as well as forum members such as Clay: Did the
                        Jackson-Marshall-DeKalb boundaries shift some time in the 1800s? I see
                        cemetery locations along with towns that I know from having lived in Jackson
                        County to be in Jackson County now, but which are frequently listed as
                        Marshall or DeKalb Counties. My speculation is that county lines were a lot
                        more fuzzy in the 1800s, and people along the boundaries really had no idea
                        which county they lived in, or - more likely - really lived in
                        Jackson(Marshall) and had a Marshall(Jackson) mailing address. Perhaps
                        someone can enlighten the rest as to when RFD (rural free delivery) came
                        into being.

                        Following is the text of Jim's email:

                        ---

                        Earl,

                        Fate was one of thirteen children of James Hastings and Mary Jane Newton.
                        They were:

                        Margaret 1872
                        Sarah 1874
                        Rebecca 1875
                        Robert 1877
                        Fanny 1879
                        Steve 1882
                        Lewis 1884 (Your grandfather, Nicole. See ruminations below. Earl note)
                        Fate Lavan 1886
                        Jonnie 1888
                        James 1890
                        Martha 1892
                        Minnie 1896
                        Lilly 1899

                        He is listed as Fate Lavan on his Social Security application. This is also
                        where I got his mother's maiden name. I'm sure grandmother filled out the
                        form since Fate couldn't read or write. I have him back through James,
                        Stephen Jr., Stephen Sr., Joseph, and Henry. Henry is buried in Orange
                        County, NC, Joseph is buried in Bedford County, TN at Hastings Campgrounds
                        (Linda and I have been there a couple of times, it is just south of
                        Shelbyville), Stephen Sr. died in Marshall County, I think Stephen Jr. died
                        in Jackson County, and his father James is a mystery. I have a picture of
                        Stephen Jr. that I can email. It is a tiff file and is about 3 megs. I could
                        convert it to a jpeg is that is too large. Any pictures that you have I
                        would like to have a scan of them. I have several that I can email to you,
                        or I can put them on a CD. I would like to do some more work on the Newton
                        family when I have time. All I know is that Mary Jane's parents were Albert
                        and Elizabeth Newton and they were living in DeKalb County when she was a
                        child.

                        Jim

                        I also think that in cases where spellings are different from those to which
                        family members are accustomed we should keep in mind that literacy was
                        limited in the late 1800s in rural areas. Grandpa used to joke that he made
                        it through school faster than anyone - entered the front door and kicked out
                        the back. While this was not the way it happened for him, I do know he had
                        only a couple of weeks of school - hardly enough to learn anything about
                        reading or writing. He was amazingly good about tracking and analyzing
                        facts and figures in his mind; I think he would have been a college graduate
                        in another time. He was proud of the fact that his son and several
                        grandchildren attended college. Grandma made it through fifth grade at a
                        time when female children were not given much opportunity to attend school.

                        I would also speculate that even in family bibles the accuracy in spelling
                        or exact birthdays was not always there. I have a copy of the record pages
                        from GGrandfather W. E. Shelton; the spelling is quite entertaining. This
                        was a society and a time when "book learning" was secondary to a practical
                        education of running a farming operation. Children had to help out at home
                        just to raise food for the table. The time period from 1865 to 1945 was
                        hard because of Reconstruction, then the Great Depression. By the 1930s
                        soil erosion and worn out soil was causing many Jacksonians to head west;
                        that is why so many of our forum members live in west Texas and Oklahoma.
                        TVA brought soil conservation, river control, and fertilizer resulting in a
                        renewed Tennessee Valley. Now, largely because of TVA, the valley is one of
                        the lovliest places in the country. I still live in the Tennessee Valley,
                        now north of Jackson County, but I still get a certain excitement just to
                        drive through Jackson and its unmatchable beauty.

                        I will get the pictures Jim references and, if it is OK with him, will
                        forward to anyone who sends me an email address. etreed@....
                        Nicole, I have your email, and I know you are interested.
                        Earl Reed