Pendergraft, Jesse Green

  • kegoad
    Message 1 of 21 , Jul 7, 2006
      Searching for any relatives of this man;e.g. sisters, brothers, father
      mother.
      We know only that he married Sarah Emma Gold (her mother was Sarah
      Elizabeth Flanagan Gold) and was the father of 7 children, one of
      which is my grandfather.
    • rgpipes@hughes.net
      Message 2 of 21 , Jul 8, 2006
        Burgess Cemetery, Jackson County, Al.

        LAWRENCE MCkINLEY, SON 3-4-1904 5-2-1904
        OF GREEN & EMMA PENDERGRAFT

        ROY, SON OF J.G. & 3-1-1902 9-25-1904
        EMMA PENDERGRAFT

        CLAYTON GOLD 9-26-1925 6-14-1927

        M. ELIZABETH GOLD 2-18-1893 3-3-1937
        JAMES F. GOLD 6-18-1889 4-27-1983

        _____

        Message 3 of 21 , Jul 8, 2006
          Have you been in contact with Jean PENDERGRAFT? I think this is her
          husbands family. Last e-mail address I saw of hers was
          bjp32178@.... This was a long time ago so it may not be good any
          more.
          Regina

          _____

          Message 4 of 21 , Jul 8, 2006
            --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com, "kegoad" <kegoad@...> wrote:

            > Searching for any relatives of this man;e.g. sisters, brothers, father
            > mother.
            > We know only that he married Sarah Emma Gold (her mother was Sarah
            > Elizabeth Flanagan Gold) and was the father of 7 children, one of
            > which is my grandfather.

            J. Green Pendergrass m. Sarah E. Gold 05 Oct 1890 JC AL OS Page 40

            Jesse G. Pendergrass d. 08 Feb 1917 JC AL Vol 18 Roll 2 Page 37

            1900 Dist. 40 Jackson Co. Census
            House 54 Family 54
            Green Pendergrass Head Oct 1869 30 mar.9yrs TN NC TN Farmer
            Emma Wife Apr 1875 25 mar.9yrs 5child/5living AL AL AL
            James Son Nov 1891 8
            Lizzie Dau Feb 1893 7
            Lee Son Sept 1895 4
            Thomas Son Dec 1898 1
            Oskar Son Nov 1899 5/12

            1880 Dist. 8 Franklin Co. TN
            Thomas Pendergrass 21 Single Farmer TN TN TN
            Betsey 55 Mother Wd Farmer Dropsey TN TN TN
            Math 30 Brother Wd Laborer TN TN TN
            Hence 18 Brother Single Laborer
            Henry 12 Brother Single Laborer
            Green 8 Brother
            Sally 24 Sister
            Susan 16 Sister
            Author 1 Nephew
            George 4 Nephew
            James 2 Nephew

            The nephews are likely Mathew Pendergrass's children.

            1870 Coffee Co. TN (Hillsborough PO)
            Augustine Pendergrass 72 Farmer NC
            Issabella 49 TN
            Mathew 23 Labor
            Cynthia 21
            Martha 19
            Sallie 18
            Thomas 15
            Henesley 11
            Betsey 9
            James 4
            Henry 2

            1860 Dist 9 Grundy Co. TN (Altamont PO)
            Augustin Pendergrass 62 Farmer NC
            Isabella P. 39 TN
            Polly C. 18
            Bennet 16 Farmer
            Martha R. 14
            Cintha 12
            Sally 8
            Thomas B. 4
            Susan R 2
            Wm J.H. 11 months
            Martha 10

            Have not found them on the 1850.

            1840 Cannon Co. TN
            Augustin Pendergrass
            Males 1 5-10, 1 10-15, 1 30-40 Females 2 Under 5, 1 30-40

            The Female 30-40 would be his first wife said to be an Indian woman.
            Family tree says he married Isabella in 1842, from the 1860 Isabella
            was born in 1821 would have been 19 in 1840 so this is not her on the
            1840.

            Nicknames: Polly=Mary, Sally/Sallie=Sarah, Betsey=Elizabeth

            Message 5 of 21 , Jul 8, 2006
              Last name was Pendergrass, With double "ss" researchers probably saw the long "s"/leading "s" which looks like an "f" on the census and in much of the old writing and took it to be Pendergraft.

              Cley

              Message 6 of 21 , Jul 8, 2006
                1920 Census Scottsboro Pct Jackson Co. AL
                Bettie Gold Head 70 Wd AL AL SC
                Julia Dau 49 Single AL AL AL
                Emma Pendergrast Dau 44 Wd AL AL AL
                Audrey GrandDau 14 AL TN AL
                Hubert GrandSon 12 AL TN AL

              • Cynthia Pugliese
                Message 7 of 21 , Jul 8, 2006
                  I have a Henry Pendergrass who was my grandmother's first husband (her was his second wife). He died during the big flu epidemic. All I know about him is that he married my grandmother and died shortly after. Frances Lambert found their marriage at the courthouse: Henry Pendergrass And Lucy Stringer Married 6 sept 1918. I think Henry was about 23 when they were married. I don't know exactly when he died, but my grandmother had remarried (to my grandfather) by 1921 and had a son born that year. If you ever run across him, or know of him, I'd like to know who his parents were.

                  Cindy Pugliese

                  Message 8 of 21 , Jul 8, 2006
                    --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com, clay gullatt
                    <blackcloud27030@...> wrote:

                    > 1920 Census Scottsboro Pct Jackson Co. AL
                    > Bettie Gold Head 70 Wd AL AL SC
                    > Julia Dau 49 Single AL AL AL
                    > Emma Pendergrast Dau 44 Wd AL AL AL
                    > Audrey GrandDau 14 AL TN AL
                    > Hubert GrandSon 12 AL TN AL
                    >
                    > Clay

                    Thanks, these are all relatives, Emma being my g grandmother. We are
                    unable to find the family of the husband Jesse Green Pendergraft, nor
                    can we locate his burial place.
                  • kegoad
                    Message 9 of 21 , Jul 8, 2006
                      <blackcloud27030@...> wrote:

                      > --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com, "kegoad" <kegoad@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Searching for any relatives of this man;e.g. sisters, brothers,
                      father
                      > > mother.
                      > > We know only that he married Sarah Emma Gold (her mother was
                      Sarah
                      > > Elizabeth Flanagan Gold) and was the father of 7 children, one of
                      > > which is my grandfather.
                      > >

                      > J. Green Pendergrass m. Sarah E. Gold 05 Oct 1890 JC AL OS Page 40
                      >
                      > Jesse G. Pendergrass d. 08 Feb 1917 JC AL Vol 18 Roll 2 Page 37
                      >
                      > 1900 Dist. 40 Jackson Co. Census
                      > House 54 Family 54
                      > Green Pendergrass Head Oct 1869 30 mar.9yrs TN NC TN Farmer
                      > Emma Wife Apr 1875 25 mar.9yrs 5child/5living AL AL AL
                      > James Son Nov 1891 8
                      > Lizzie Dau Feb 1893 7
                      > Lee Son Sept 1895 4
                      > Thomas Son Dec 1898 1
                      > Oskar Son Nov 1899 5/12
                      >
                      > 1880 Dist. 8 Franklin Co. TN
                      > Thomas Pendergrass 21 Single Farmer TN TN TN
                      > Betsey 55 Mother Wd Farmer Dropsey TN TN TN
                      > Math 30 Brother Wd Laborer TN TN TN
                      > Hence 18 Brother Single Laborer
                      > Henry 12 Brother Single Laborer
                      > Green 8 Brother
                      > Sally 24 Sister
                      > Susan 16 Sister
                      > Author 1 Nephew
                      > George 4 Nephew
                      > James 2 Nephew
                      >
                      > The nephews are likely Mathew Pendergrass's children.
                      >
                      > 1870 Coffee Co. TN (Hillsborough PO)
                      > Augustine Pendergrass 72 Farmer NC
                      > Issabella 49 TN
                      > Mathew 23 Labor
                      > Cynthia 21
                      > Martha 19
                      > Sallie 18
                      > Thomas 15
                      > Henesley 11
                      > Betsey 9
                      > James 4
                      > Henry 2
                      >
                      > 1860 Dist 9 Grundy Co. TN (Altamont PO)
                      > Augustin Pendergrass 62 Farmer NC
                      > Isabella P. 39 TN
                      > Polly C. 18
                      > Bennet 16 Farmer
                      > Martha R. 14
                      > Cintha 12
                      > Sally 8
                      > Thomas B. 4
                      > Susan R 2
                      > Wm J.H. 11 months
                      > Martha 10
                      >
                      > Have not found them on the 1850.
                      >
                      > 1840 Cannon Co. TN
                      > Augustin Pendergrass
                      > Males 1 5-10, 1 10-15, 1 30-40 Females 2 Under 5, 1 30-40
                      >
                      > The Female 30-40 would be his first wife said to be an Indian woman.
                      > Family tree says he married Isabella in 1842, from the 1860 Isabella
                      > was born in 1821 would have been 19 in 1840 so this is not her on
                      the
                      > 1840.
                      >
                      > Nicknames: Polly=Mary, Sally/Sallie=Sarah, Betsey=Elizabeth
                      >
                      > Clay
                      >Thanks for the info.
                      Yes the first census is of my ggrandparents. The 1880 Franklin County
                      Census seems logical for him but we have no verification and can't
                      seem to locate this family after that date.
                      The Jesse G. who died in 1917 seems to be a child, his we believe.
                    • kegoad
                      Message 10 of 21 , Jul 8, 2006
                        --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com, <rgpipes@...> wrote:

                        Yes My Aunt (Connie Pendergraft) stays in touch with her. Jean is
                        related and has done extensive research but so far we have all drawn
                        a blank on Jesse Green Pendergraft's history prior to his marriage to
                        Sarah Emma Gold.

                        > Have you been in contact with Jean PENDERGRAFT? I think this is her
                        > husbands family. Last e-mail address I saw of hers was
                        > bjp32178@... This was a long time ago so it may not be good any
                        > more.
                        > Regina
                        >
                        > _____

                      • kegoad
                        Message 11 of 21 , Jul 8, 2006
                          Thank you for the info., we have wondered why the misspelling. This
                          makes it difficult to track.

                          <blackcloud27030@...> wrote:

                          > Last name was Pendergrass, With double "ss" researchers probably saw
                          the long "s"/leading "s" which looks like an "f" on the census and in
                          much of the old writing and took it to be Pendergraft.

                          > Cley

                        • kegoad
                          Message 12 of 21 , Jul 8, 2006
                            could be a relative but so far we are unable to tie Jesse to a family
                            prior to his marriage. If this name comes up in the future I will
                            certainly let you know.

                            --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com, "Cynthia Pugliese"
                            <capugliese@...> wrote:

                            > I have a Henry Pendergrass who was my grandmother's first husband
                            (her was his second wife). He died during the big flu epidemic. All
                            I know about him is that he married my grandmother and died shortly
                            after. Frances Lambert found their marriage at the courthouse:
                            Henry Pendergrass And Lucy Stringer Married 6 sept 1918. I think
                            Henry was about 23 when they were married. I don't know exactly when
                            he died, but my grandmother had remarried (to my grandfather) by 1921
                            and had a son born that year. If you ever run across him, or know
                            of him, I'd like to know who his parents were.

                            > Cindy Pugliese

                          • kegoad
                            Message 13 of 21 , Jul 8, 2006
                              -Do you thing these two families are related? I live in Coffee county
                              Tn and have tried unsuccessfully to track the history of this family.

                            • rgpipes@hughes.net
                              Message 14 of 21 , Jul 8, 2006
                                I'm not Clay BUT I would bet they are very much related.
                                Regina

                                _____

                                -- In jacksongenealogy@ <mailto:jacksongenealogy%40yahoogroups.com>

                                Message 15 of 21 , Jul 8, 2006
                                  I think this most likely is all the same family. I read that Jesse Green Pendergrass' brother Thomas also moved to Jackson Co. There is a Thomas Pendergrass b.1853 TN listed with wife Kate on the 1900 Jackson Co. Census.

                                  One of the family trees listed Augustine Pendergrass' father and mother as Mathew and Milly (Green) Pendergrass from NC and that Augustine had a brother named William Green Pendergrass.

                                  I would try to find wills or land transfers for Augustine Pendergrass, he probably died in Coffe Co. also see if Isabella left a will in Franklin Co where she probably died. This is to see if they named their children in their wills.

                                  I don't know which TN counties have burned courthouses a great deal would depend on that. Researching marriages in TN is difficult because though some are indexed on ancestry most are at the county level and some counties have no index on line. There are few wills anyplace on line for most states.

                                • Donna McDaniel
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Jul 8, 2006
                                    I have a William H Pendergrass, son of Willis
                                    Pendergrass in my family. William H was born abt
                                    1848. His father, Willis had a brother named Henry,
                                    so William could also have been called Henry. I do
                                    not have proof of it....Let me know if you would like
                                    more of my info.

                                    Donna

                                    --- kegoad <kegoad@...> wrote:

                                    > could be a relative but so far we are unable to tie
                                    > Jesse to a family
                                    > prior to his marriage. If this name comes up in the
                                    > future I will
                                    > certainly let you know.
                                    >

                                    > --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com, "Cynthia
                                    > Pugliese"
                                    > <capugliese@...> wrote:
                                    > >
                                    > > I have a Henry Pendergrass who was my
                                    > grandmother's first husband
                                    > (her was his second wife). He died during the big
                                    > flu epidemic. All
                                    > I know about him is that he married my grandmother
                                    > and died shortly
                                    > after. Frances Lambert found their marriage at the
                                    > courthouse:
                                    > Henry Pendergrass And Lucy Stringer Married 6 sept
                                    > 1918. I think
                                    > Henry was about 23 when they were married. I don't
                                    > know exactly when
                                    > he died, but my grandmother had remarried (to my
                                    > grandfather) by 1921
                                    > and had a son born that year. If you ever run
                                    > across him, or know
                                    > of him, I'd like to know who his parents were.
                                    > >
                                    > > Cindy Pugliese

                                    http://mail.yahoo.com
                                  • Cynthia Pugliese
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Jul 9, 2006
                                      My Henry Pendergrass would have been born about 1895. That means he should be in a 1900 and 1910 censuses, but died before the 1920 one.

                                      I found a death record for a Henry Pendergrass

                                      Name: Henry Pendergrass Death Date: 19 Oct 1918 Death County: Jackson Volume: 22 Roll: 2 Page #: 152

                                      Would there be other information available on a death certificate? Would it indicate parents or wife?

                                      Cindy Pugliese

                                      Message 18 of 21 , Jul 22, 2006
                                        Does anyone know of a William Pendergrass living in or around Jackson County
                                        in 1890? William Pendergrass sign the marriage bond with Mack Bowen (Mac
                                        Bowen) in 1891 when Mac and Mary Paradise married. I have been unable to find
                                        where Mac was living prior to 1900 or find his family before that time. I hope
                                        by finding where William Pendergrass lived it might be a clue to a location for
                                        Mac. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
                                        Jean Bowen
                                        Gullick99@...

                                      • Clay Gullatt
                                        Message 19 of 21 , Jul 22, 2006
                                          Jean

                                          William Pendergrass b. Apr 1856 AL TN AL was living in Limrock.

                                          Clay

                                        • Gullick99@aol.com
                                          Message 20 of 21 , Jul 22, 2006
                                            Thank you Clay. You are always so much help. We appreciate all you do to
                                            help us find our families.
                                            Jean Bowen
                                            Gullick99@...

                                          • Eulonda Owens