Re: [jacksongenealogy] McCutchen/Harrison/Carothers/Woodall

  • Janel Woodbury
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 7, 2006
      Hi Charlie!
      I have a lot on the Carothers as well. I think a lot of the research you and Larry have done over the years is a lot of what I have. I'm not sure that I've seen the letterhead. Is it on your McCutchen Trace site?

      I knew that William Walker II drowned, but I never knew the story of how. I'll look at your site again to see if there's anything new I don't have.

      Janel

      Charles McCutchen <chamac45@...> wrote:
      Hi Janel,

      I'm not sure about Joel Harrison but I'll check with Larry to see if he has some info. Most people that did settle Jackson County, AL at that time did migrate through East Tennessee around "French Broad River" which is present day Knoxville. We do have a good bit on the Cartothers and some on the Woodalls as well.

      For those of you who are curious 2 Carothers girls married two of John McCutchen's (1755-1835) boys. Susanna Elizabeth "Betsy" married William Walker McC and Mary Tobitha marrried Joseph Wesley McC. The girls were sisters and dauthers of Hugh Carothers. John's 1st wife and mother of his children was Sarah Ann Woodall.

      With regards to William Walker McCutchen II (1810-1878). He was raised by his grandfather as the original W.W. died around the time of his birth. We don't know where the original W.W. McC is buried but it is probably unmarked somewhere in Madison County asd he was living there at the time. Larry has a theory that he may have been killed in Tennessee where he may have been settling land disputes for father John.

      William Walker McCutchen's II children Charles, Louis, George W., and Beulah settled in Campbell, Dunklin County, Missouri. Did you get a change to see the McCutchen Merchatile letterhead from the store they ran?

      William Walker McCutchen II (1810-1878) drowned while crossing the Tennessee River at Larkin's Landing 15 July 1878. He is buried at McCamy Cemetery which is a very small cemetery in a field as you cross fom Jackson County into Marshall County. Fairly run down and very dificult to find.

      Here is the article on his drowning:

      Newspaper: The Progressive Age
      Date: 18 July 1878

      The distressing intelligence reached her on Tuesday, that W.W. McCutchen, of Marshall County and a negro boy, were both drowned in (the) Tennessee River on Monday evening, last. The statement is that Mr. McCutchen, Mr. Cowley, Mr. Reed, and a colored man were crossing the river in a bateau which filled with water and sank. Mr. Cowley and Mr. Reed both swam ashore. Continued search has been made for the body of Mr. McCutchen, but at this writing it had not been found. Mr. McCutchen was an old citizen of this county, was a man of high order of intellect, general information, and much beloved for many ennobling qualities. Walker McCutchen had but few equals in intellect and in the qualities of mind and heart that command the respect of acquaintances. We deeply deplore the sorrowful death of such a man and tender his beloved family and kindred our warmest sympathy. Mr. McCutchen must have been seventy years of age, although his appearance did not indicate he was that old.

      Janel Woodbury <janel_woodbury@...> wrote:
      Hi I'm Janel Woodbury. I'm researching the McCutchen and Harrison
      lines in Jackson/Madison/Morgan/and Marshall Counties, Alabama.
      I was in touch with Charlie McCutchen awhile back who is a member
      here and have seen his McCutchen Trace website.

      I'm looking for the parents of Margaret Harrison. In the 1850
      Jackson County census William Walker McCutchen (Walker McKutchen on
      the census) a Martha Harrison is age 17, born AL. Margaret was born
      in TN. The only Harrison family in Jackson county that census year
      was Joel Harrison, born 1798 in SC, probably widowed, age 52,
      Catherine Harrison, age 25, TN (b. 1825) and Landress Harrison
      (male) age 21 born TN. I have long felt that Joel is Margaret's
      father but have zero proof to back it up. I also can't find Joel in
      1840 or 1860, neither in Alabama nor in Tennessee. I'm stuck!
      I wonder if anyone knows of a will or probate records/deeds that
      would link Joel to Margaret.

      Martha (Martha Matilda) married James Welborn in Jackson County, 19
      Jan 1853.

      Im also looking for the death place of William Walker McCutchen (I
      have 15 Jul 1878, Alabama only) and where he is buried. Did he
      really die in Alabama, or did he move to Missouri with several of
      his children? Maybe some of these questions are ones Charlie already
      knows the answer to.

      BTW, my ancestor through William Walker McCutchen and Margaret
      Harrison is their son Charles Harrison McCutchen who married Nancy
      Elizabeth Taylor in Dunklin County, Missouri.

      The McCutchen Trace

      http://mccutchentrace.com

      Janel Woodbury
      Junior Troop Leader 1010