Re: [jacksongenealogy] Re: McCutchen/Harrison/Carothers/Woodall

  • Janel Woodbury
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 5, 2006
      Hmmm. Makes you wonder why people are living in the homes of others. Neice and nephew maybe?? I guess I'll never know.
      I live close to the Salt Lake library so the next time I go this is definitely on the top of my list of things to research.
      Janel

      clay gullatt <blackcloud27030@...> wrote:
      Janel

      James P. Hawk m. Sarah Jester 09 Mar 1854 JC AL by JOP W. H. Christian OS Page 159.

      Janel Woodbury
      Junior Troop Leader 1010
      Pleasant Grove, Utah
      Girl Scouts: Where Girls Grow Strong
      www.girlscouts.org
      www.gsutah.org

    • Terri Billeck
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 5, 2006
        Janel, I have a Joshua Sexton McCutcheon who married
        Martha Dean in 1850 Morgan Co. She was born about
        1809 and this was her second marriage. I'm looking
        for info on his parents.

        I also have a Tammer McCutcheon who married William
        Taylor in 1918 in Morgan Co. My Taylors also lived in
        Jackson Co.

        Terri

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Janel Woodbury
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 6, 2006
          I have an older Joshua S. McCutchen listed in my genealogy program. who married in 1827 first to Hannah Leeman and second in 1838 to Jane Lamascus in Morgan County. He was born in 1794. He was the son of John McCutchen and Anne Woodall. Not sure if it's the same Joshua or if he married a third time. Don't have a Tammer listed. By 1918 my McCutchens were in Missouri.
          Janel

        • Charles McCutchen
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 6, 2006
            Hi Janel,

            I'm not sure about Joel Harrison but I'll check with Larry to see if he has some info. Most people that did settle Jackson County, AL at that time did migrate through East Tennessee around "French Broad River" which is present day Knoxville. We do have a good bit on the Cartothers and some on the Woodalls as well.

            For those of you who are curious 2 Carothers girls married two of John McCutchen's (1755-1835) boys. Susanna Elizabeth "Betsy" married William Walker McC and Mary Tobitha marrried Joseph Wesley McC. The girls were sisters and dauthers of Hugh Carothers. John's 1st wife and mother of his children was Sarah Ann Woodall.

            With regards to William Walker McCutchen II (1810-1878). He was raised by his grandfather as the original W.W. died around the time of his birth. We don't know where the original W.W. McC is buried but it is probably unmarked somewhere in Madison County asd he was living there at the time. Larry has a theory that he may have been killed in Tennessee where he may have been settling land disputes for father John.

            William Walker McCutchen's II children Charles, Louis, George W., and Beulah settled in Campbell, Dunklin County, Missouri. Did you get a change to see the McCutchen Merchatile letterhead from the store they ran?

            William Walker McCutchen II (1810-1878) drowned while crossing the Tennessee River at Larkin's Landing 15 July 1878. He is buried at McCamy Cemetery which is a very small cemetery in a field as you cross fom Jackson County into Marshall County. Fairly run down and very dificult to find.

            Here is the article on his drowning:

            Newspaper: The Progressive Age
            Date: 18 July 1878

            The distressing intelligence reached her on Tuesday, that W.W. McCutchen, of Marshall County and a negro boy, were both drowned in (the) Tennessee River on Monday evening, last. The statement is that Mr. McCutchen, Mr. Cowley, Mr. Reed, and a colored man were crossing the river in a bateau which filled with water and sank. Mr. Cowley and Mr. Reed both swam ashore. Continued search has been made for the body of Mr. McCutchen, but at this writing it had not been found. Mr. McCutchen was an old citizen of this county, was a man of high order of intellect, general information, and much beloved for many ennobling qualities. Walker McCutchen had but few equals in intellect and in the qualities of mind and heart that command the respect of acquaintances. We deeply deplore the sorrowful death of such a man and tender his beloved family and kindred our warmest sympathy. Mr. McCutchen must have been seventy years of age, although his appearance did not indicate he was that old.

[...]

            The McCutchen Trace

            http://mccutchentrace.com

          • Janel Woodbury
            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 7, 2006
              Hi Charlie!
              I have a lot on the Carothers as well. I think a lot of the research you and Larry have done over the years is a lot of what I have. I'm not sure that I've seen the letterhead. Is it on your McCutchen Trace site?

              I knew that William Walker II drowned, but I never knew the story of how. I'll look at your site again to see if there's anything new I don't have.

              Janel