Searching for Moss, Moore, and Cummings families

  • Patricia Brown
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 1, 2006
      I am the great granddaughter of James W. Moss 1835-1915. He was born in Georgia but lived on Sand Mountain. He was married to Lurania Alice Boatwright (1861-1936)and both are buried in Section. His father was John Moss. James had another family in Georgia and was married to a Louisa Kay and had about 12 children. He married Lurania Alice and had another 12 children. One of them was my father Elbert Shiles 1892-1952 who is buried in Chattanooga. He was married to Amanda Farrow and they were divorced. They had 4 children Oddie Lee (my father), James Barnard, Alma E., and Farrow Kenneth (Jack).
      I am also searching William H H. Moore 1884-1970? married to Sarah Elizabeth Cummings 1878-1958. They were my grandparents. Will was born in Tenn but moved to Ala in the 1880's. Sarah was born in Jackson County I think. His father was William "Bose" Moore. Sarah's parents were Zachariah Cummings and Charlotte Peek Holly Cummings. Sarah was married when she was 14 to a 43 old man for 6 months but it took her 9 years to get her divorce. I have her divorce papers but I cannot find a marriage license for Will & Sarah who would have been married in 1902 I think. They had 12 children and Will ran a grocery store in Scottsboro somtime between 1915 and 1920 when they moved to Chattanooga. The children were Taylor, Roy, Mae, Hazel, Cecil, Lucille (my mother), Jesse, Pauline, Laura. Pauline was burned when she was 5 in Chattanooga but was buried in Jackson County but I understand she and the triplets were moved in the TVA grave relocation. There was also triplets born
      in 1913, 2 girls and 1 boy who died in infancy from whopping cough. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks, Patsy Moss Brown

      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 2, 2006
        Hi,

        I am a direct descendent of Gilbert Moss Sr. born 1732 in Poss, Inverness,
        Black Isle,Scotland, died on 8 July 1822 in York County, SC. Many of my line
        of Moss's set up homes in GA. Primarily the Gilmer County area. Have you
        checked those census's? I do have a John with a son James but the death date
        and location of James differs from yours although the birth date is within the
        same year.

        Deborah Collard

        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 2, 2006
          Patsy

          I check the Guntersville Flooded Cemetery File and the Jackson Co. Mega Cemetery File and did not find them on either. Both files are at the Group Home Website under LINKS. You can search them using the Find feature under Edit.

        • redhat2patsy
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 5, 2006
            Thanks Clay. I talked to The lady in charge of the relocation
            archives at TVA and she checked thoroughly and didn't find any Moore
            infants. She said there were a lot of infants in unmarked graves. I
            don't understand that because my Uncle Roy got a letter asking his
            permission to move them. I just mentioned the triplets because I
            thought it might have triggered someone's memory. I'll send more info
            later. Also, I will be going to Salt Lake to the Family History
            Center on August 12th for a week if there's something someone would
            like for me to look up so long as I don't have too long a list.
            Thanks, Patsy

            --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com, clay gullatt
            <blackcloud27030@...> wrote:

            > Patsy
            >
            > I check the Guntersville Flooded Cemetery File and the Jackson Co.
            Mega Cemetery File and did not find them on either. Both files are at
            the Group Home Website under LINKS. You can search them using the Find
            feature under Edit.

            > Clay

          • Patricia Brown
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 17, 2006
              Sorry to be so long in answering. Thank you for responding. I'm not sure our lines are the same but I'll give you my line.

              Oddie Lee MOSS b 27 Oct 1913, Stevenson, Jackson, AL d 28 Aug 1995, Fredericksburg, VA, m 1 Apr 1933 ro Rosie Lucille MOORE, b 26 Jul 1914, Scottsboro, Jackson, AL, d 10 Feb 2000 Fredericksburg, VA Both buried at Quantico Natl Cemetery (This is my father)

              Elbert Shiles MOSS, b 30 Aug 1892, Bridgeport, Jackson, AL, d 8 Feb 1950 Chattanooga, TN, m Amanda Eulala FARROW, b 22 Jan 1894, Bartow or Cartersville, GA, d 9 Feb 1978, children Oddie Lee, James Barnard (J.B.), Alma, and Farrow Kenneth (Jack) 2nd marriage 16 Feb 1935 to Tennie H. LETSON, b 13 Jul 1902, Jackson Co, AL, d 23 Aug 1991, Chattanooga, TN.

              James Washington MOSS, b 12 Jukl 1835 SC or GA, d 28 Dec 1915, Section, Jackson, AL, m Louisa KAY 20 Sep 1857 Franklin Co., GA, 12 children? 2nd m 17 Dec 1899 in GA, Lorania Alice BOATWRIGHT, b 26 May 1861, Elijay, Gilmer, GA, s 27 Sep 1936, Section, Jackson, AL, both buried at Harmony Cemetery. This is my grandmother.
              Children:
              Joseph, b 1878
              William, b 27 May 1881
              Christopher Columbus, b 8 Apr 1883
              Grovis, bb 18 Jul 1986
              Martha Maranda, b 4 May 1889
              Elbert Shiles, b 31 Aug 1892
              Robert, b. Jan 1894
              Talley
              James, b. Feb 1896
              Bessie, b 10 Oct 1901
              John, b 1903

              John MOSS, b 1800, Franklin Co., GA, or Edgefield, SC, d 1867? Carnesville, Franklin, GA, will dtd 22 Feb 1867, m Nancy Liles BOATWRIGHT on 16 Jul 1818
              children: Richard, William, Nancy, Elizabeth, Matilda, Mary A, John S., Mahela, Louisa, James W., Marth, Sarah, Clarkey, Patrick J., Westin, Orville

              John MOSS, b 1779, Edgefield, SC

              John MOSS, b. 1740, Goochland, VA, d 1810, Edgefield, SC, m 20 Nov 1761, Hanover, VA to Charity HUGHES, b 1735/1735, Hanover Co., VA, d 14 Feb 1808/1818, Lincoln Co., GA

              John MOSS, b 1707/1717, New Ken, VA, d 19 Dec 1784/1785, Goochland, VA, m 1730/1732, VA to Elizabeth MASSIE, b 5 Nov 1709, St. Peters Parish, New Kent, VA,d 1785, Goochland, VA

              The only John I'm absolutely sure of is John b 1800. I;m in the process of verifying the others. Hope this helps and triggers someone else's line. Thanks for responding and thanks Clay for all you do. Patsy