Re: [jacksongenealogy] Surnames

  • Phebelyn@aol.com
    Message 1 of 24 , Nov 7, 2000
      I'm new to the list also. My surnames there are
      HUGHES, SIMMONS, MURPHREE, ZIELGER, SLOAN, MCKENZIE

      My grandmother's first cousin was a HUGHES and she married a CLEMENS. She is
      still living. He just died about a month ago.
      Phoebe
    • StvChance@aol.com
      Message 2 of 24 , Nov 7, 2000
        Phoebe,

        My mother was a Hughes from Jackson County. Her father was Jesse Hughes and
        live in Bridgeport. His father was Robert Luther Hughes, lived in Anderson,
        Tennessee, a little ways across the TN/AL State line. According to census
        records, Robert was born somewhere in Kentucky. Do you see a possibly
        connection?

        Steve Chance
        Anaheim Hills, CA
        StvChance@...
      • Jpete75910@aol.com
        Message 3 of 24 , Nov 8, 2000
          Phoebe:
          What was the name of the Clemens that your Grandmother married?
        • Phebelyn@aol.com
          Message 4 of 24 , Nov 8, 2000
            In a message dated 11/08/2000 10:27:41 PM Eastern Standard Time,
            Jpete75910@... writes:

            << Phoebe:
            What was the name of the Clemens that your Grandmother married?

            It wasn't my Grandmother. It was my Grandmother's first cousin who married
            Ray Clemens. My Mother said he was from Louisiana. But they lived in
            Jackson Co., AL. His widow still lives there. She lives in Dutton, Alabama.
            Phoebe
          • bbrock1945@aol.com
            Message 5 of 24 , Feb 11, 2006
              Hello,
              Still searching for a MATHERSEY (Therza/Thersey) born 1820 AL. She married
              Peter BLACKWELL.

              I believe she may have been the sister of a JOHN WILLIAMS and their mother
              a CHRISTINA WILLIAMS b. 1793 in KY, who was on the 1850 Federal Census record
              for Jackson County, District 21, Alabama.

              "Chistena, age 57 with Bethany 21, Hesira 16, Sally 14, Thomas 12 and Nancy
              20, (living in household # 444.)

              If anyone has any information on these people I would greatly appreciate
              hearing from you.

              Thank you,
              Brenda