Re: [jacksongenealogy] surnames

  • Raymond Shirley
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 26, 2000
      nrnolan@... wrote:
      My g-grandmother was Frances Hackworth, daughter of Johnson and Sarah. She
      married a Golston and had several children, one being my grandmother, Nancy.
      I'd like to learn more about Frances, including dates of birth, marriage, and
      death, also where she is buried. Would also like to know the names of her
      other children.Thanks.
                                Nancy

      eGroups eLerts
      http://click.egroups.com/1/9698/13/_/439897/_/972426184/

      I don't have the dates you seek.  Austin  and Sarah (Rigney) Hackworth had twelve
      children.  Four of their sons and one daughter married into the Randolph Gonce family of Crow Creek Valley.  The eldest son, Johnson, married Sarah Gonce.  They settled in the Edgefield community in Jackson County, AL.  They had six sons and one daughter named Frances.  Frances married a Golston and they had several sons and two daughters.  One daughter, Nancy, was actually reared by Randolph and Paralee Hackworth.  Nancy married John Caulfield and had two sons, John and Bernard.
      May I make two suggestions?  One, find a copy of the book The Stevenson Story by Eliza B.Woodall, published in 1982 by The College Press, Collegedale, TN.  You will find a lot of material in the book about the Hackworth and Gonce families.  Two, if you have opportunity to visit Jackson County, AL., visit the Hackworth Cemetery.  I'm confident Johnson and Sarah are buried there.  The grave momuments will have dates on them.  The Hackworth Cemetery is located behind the Edgefield Church of Christ building between Bridgeport and Stevenson.  There are signs on highway 72 directing one to the Edgefield Church of Christ building.  The cemetery is well kept and very accessible.  I am related to Randoph and Paralee Hackworth.  Several of my ancestors are buried in the Hackworth Cemetery.
      If you cannot go to Jackson County for a visit, I will take notes on monument names and dates the next time I am in the area.  Good luck.
      Ray

    • nrnolan@aol.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 26, 2000
        Thanks for the info. I do have the book you mentioned, and it has been
        helpful. My grandmother was the daughter who was raised by Randolph and
        Paralee.Ive been to Stevenson and visited the Caulfield cemetary, but had no
        idea about the Hackworth.Will try to get back there soon.
        Nancy