Re: [jacksongenealogy] RE: Looking for Indian Ancestry

  • Bob Gilliam
    Message 1 of 22 , Jun 20, 2006

      I don't know of any and they didn't want to be identified so there are no records. That explains the ideas that my family has, if I ever wanted to check into indian records or do anything dealing with legal matters, like records at the court house the response was always: "They'll come and take our place away". They also named the children names that appear on indian rolls like: Lighty or Lighty, Watie or Wady, Ollie for girls after Mahollie etc. They also said they were black Dutch but there are no records to indicate that.

      clay gullatt <blackcloud27030@...> wrote:
      When looking for Indian ancestors a good bet is to look and see if any of their children, grandchildren or greatgrandchildren applied to be entered on one of the Indian Rolls.

      Most of the old one who stayed in the East actively hid their Indian ancestry.

      The mother of Juliet (Clark) Gullatt and Martha Elizabeth (Clark) Gullatt, Gemima (Welch) Clark was full blooded Cherokee yet on all the census she is listed as white.It is rare indeed to see someone listed as Indian on the census East of the MS River. It was her grandchildren who applied to be entered on the rolls. A cousin told me that it was whispered that the Gullatt's were Indian but not out in the open until recently. They were denied as a great many who were Indian were denied.

      The state of Virginia denied that there were any Indians in their state until the 1970s. It was illegal to be an Indian in almost all of the Eastern states until the 1970s. Small wonder that their ancestry was hidden. Many children of White and Indian couples would be listed as mulattos on the census also, VA law required it.. All that mulatto means is mixed race.