Looking for Indian Ancestry

  • Bob J. Gilliam
    Message 1 of 22 , Jun 9, 2006
      Hello!
      I am Bob J. Gilliam, born in Scottsboro, AL, and have just
      discovered and joined this group. I am doing genealogical research,
      especially with regard to any Indian (Cherokee, Creek, etc.)
      heritage that I may have. I have been able to trace some of my
      ancestors in Jackson County, AL, back to circa 1800.

      My maternal grandparents were:

      Daniel H. (Dan) and Rosa Lee (Evett) Ivey of Crow Mountain.
      Rev. Dan Ivey's parents were Charles Ivey & Mary ??_______ (maiden
      name unknown, previously married to a "Summers").
      Dan Ivey's grandfather may have been Harry Ivey, buried at the
      Austell Cemetery; his grandmother is unknown.

      Rosa Lee Evett's parents were Andrew Jackson Evett & Luvenia
      Matthews.
      Andrew Jackson Evett's parents were William James Evett and Susan
      Ann Grider.
      Luvenia Matthews' parents were Wiley Matthews (or "Mathews"
      or "Mathis") and Zelphia Day.

      My paternal grandparents were:

      Lemuel M. (LM) Gilliam and Ethel Talley Gilliam, who after being
      widowed, married Jack Phillips.
      Lemuel Gilliam's parents were Jessup (Jessie or JJ) Gilliam & Mary
      J. ??_________ (maiden name unknown) of Franklin Co., TN.
      Jessup Gilliam's parents were William Gilliam and Elizabeth Sarah
      Roark of Franklin Co., TN.
      Mary J.'s ______ parents are unknown.

      Ethel Talley's parents were Johnny William (JW) Talley and Ollie Mae
      Holt.
      Johnny W. Talley's parents are unknown.
      Ollie Mae Holt's father was Dock Holt, buried in an unmarked grave
      at Longacre Cemetery in Stevenson, AL, and her mother is unknown.

      I would greatly appreciate any information that anyone could give me.

      Many thanks,
      Bob J. Gilliam
    • RKi4222422@aol.com
      Message 2 of 22 , Jun 9, 2006
        I have information you may find of interest. My mother's sister, my aunt,
        married JR (John Richard) Ivey b. 1914 d. 1984. His father is Nimrod Ivey b.
        1878 AL d. 1962. His father is John Barna Ivey b. 1842 AL. Any relation?
        Robert Kimble
        _RKi4222422@..._ (mailto:RKi4222422@...)

      • Ray Beam
        Message 3 of 22 , Jun 9, 2006
          Bob
          Go to Rootsweb.com's site and you will find information on John W. Talley
          and his ancestors. There are 3 listings. This site is free and easy to use.
          http://worldconnect.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi

          Ray Beam
[...]

          Yahoo! Groups Links
        • Sam McDowell
          Message 4 of 22 , Jun 10, 2006
            Hi Bob,
            John William Talley's parents are William Buckner
            Talley and Sina Crumley.
            Your great grandfather is brother to my grandfather
            James Madison (Jim Talley). I would be happy to
            exchange information with you.
            William Buckener>Bradley W>Benoni Talley
            Sina' maiden name was Crumley. Her parents were Jesse
            Crumley and Emily Loftless.
            Was Ethel's second husband, Jack Phillips the father
            of Tood Phillips as we called him?
            Sam

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • Bob Gilliam
            Message 5 of 22 , Jun 13, 2006
              Yes,

              Jack and Ethel (my grandmother) lived in a house on my parents farm in Hollywood, AL from about 1960 until their deaths. Jack Phillips had a daughter, Elizabeth Mae Johnson, deceased and no children. Jack Phillips son, J.B. (Tood) had two sons, now living and working in Scottsboro, AL. Donald and Charles D. Tood's widow (Daisy Hinkel Phillips) lives in Fackler with a Stevenson address. Their son Donald Phillips works at the Scottsboro funeral home and could be reached there.

              Also, Dock Holt was born in about 1854 in Cocke Conty, TN. His mother was listed as Mahala and Mahaley from N.C. and that is a brick wall so far, so I need information about her.
              My Aunt Sina (called Siney) Talley is still alive in her ninetys and said he looked like an Indian. He died in Arkansas while living with son Luther but was shipped back and she attended the funeral. She said his son (Ike) lived with Jack and Ethel Phillips until his death and is buried beside Dock in unmarked graves at Longacre cemetary in Stevenson. I hope to take her there to identify the graves soon.

              Bob Gilliam

              --- "Bob J. Gilliam" <bgreat@...> wrote:

              > Hello!
              > I am Bob J. Gilliam, born in Scottsboro, AL, and
              > have just
              > discovered and joined this group. I am doing
              > genealogical research,
              > especially with regard to any Indian (Cherokee,
              > Creek, etc.)
              > heritage that I may have. I have been able to trace
              > some of my
              > ancestors in Jackson County, AL, back to circa 1800.
              >
              > My maternal grandparents were:
              >
              > Daniel H. (Dan) and Rosa Lee (Evett) Ivey of Crow
              > Mountain.
              > Rev. Dan Ivey's parents were Charles Ivey & Mary
              > ??_______ (maiden
              > name unknown, previously married to a "Summers").
              > Dan Ivey's grandfather may have been Harry Ivey,
              > buried at the
              > Austell Cemetery; his grandmother is unknown.
              >
              > Rosa Lee Evett's parents were Andrew Jackson Evett &
              > Luvenia
              > Matthews.
              > Andrew Jackson Evett's parents were William James
              > Evett and Susan
              > Ann Grider.
              > Luvenia Matthews' parents were Wiley Matthews (or
              > "Mathews"
              > or "Mathis") and Zelphia Day.
              >
              > My paternal grandparents were:
              >
              > Lemuel M. (LM) Gilliam and Ethel Talley Gilliam, who
              > after being
              > widowed, married Jack Phillips.
              > Lemuel Gilliam's parents were Jessup (Jessie or JJ)
              > Gilliam & Mary
              > J. ??_________ (maiden name unknown) of Franklin
              > Co., TN.
              > Jessup Gilliam's parents were William Gilliam and
              > Elizabeth Sarah
              > Roark of Franklin Co., TN.
              > Mary J.'s ______ parents are unknown.
              >
              > Ethel Talley's parents were Johnny William (JW)
              > Talley and Ollie Mae
              > Holt.
              > Johnny W. Talley's parents are unknown.
              > Ollie Mae Holt's father was Dock Holt, buried in an
              > unmarked grave
              > at Longacre Cemetery in Stevenson, AL, and her
              > mother is unknown.
              >
              > I would greatly appreciate any information that
              > anyone could give me.
              >
              > Many thanks,
              > Bob J. Gilliam

              http://mail.yahoo.com

            • Sam McDowell
              Message 6 of 22 , Jun 13, 2006
                Bob,
                Tood and Daisy had 3 sons, the other one is O B,
                everyone called him "rooster", married to Helen Jean
                Roberts. He also lives in Scottsboro across the street
                from Scottsboro Funeral Home.
                My paternal grandmother was Lucy Jane Holt, dau of
                Thomas Jefferson Holt and Elmira Daniel; born in cocke
                Co Tn. I am wondering if there is a connection
                between your Dock Holt and my grandmother, or great
                grandfater, Thomas Jefferson Holt+Elmira Daniel. (this
                is where I get my Indian ancestry-the Daniels)
                He died in Clay Co Arkansas. Do you know what part of
                Arkansas your Holts lived?

                http://mail.yahoo.com
              • Sam McDowell
                Message 7 of 22 , Jun 13, 2006
> [...]

                  > > after being
                  > > widowed, married Jack Phillips.
                  > > Lemuel Gilliam's parents were Jessup (Jessie or
                  > JJ)
                  > > Gilliam & Mary
                  > > J. ??_________ (maiden name unknown) of Franklin
                  > > Co., TN.
                  > > Jessup Gilliam's parents were William Gilliam and
                  > > Elizabeth Sarah
                  > > Roark of Franklin Co., TN.
                  > > Mary J.'s ______ parents are unknown.
                  > >
                  > > Ethel Talley's parents were Johnny William (JW)
                  > > Talley and Ollie Mae
                  > > Holt.
                  > > Johnny W. Talley's parents are unknown.
                  > > Ollie Mae Holt's father was Dock Holt, buried in
                  > an
                  > > unmarked grave
                  > > at Longacre Cemetery in Stevenson, AL, and her
                  > > mother is unknown.
                  > >
                  > > I would greatly appreciate any information that

                  http://mail.yahoo.com
                • Sam McDowell
                  Message 8 of 22 , Jun 13, 2006
> [...]

                    > > after being
                    > > widowed, married Jack Phillips.
                    > > Lemuel Gilliam's parents were Jessup (Jessie or
                    > JJ)
                    > > Gilliam & Mary
                    > > J. ??_________ (maiden name unknown) of Franklin
                    > > Co., TN.
                    > > Jessup Gilliam's parents were William Gilliam and
                    > > Elizabeth Sarah
                    > > Roark of Franklin Co., TN.
                    > > Mary J.'s ______ parents are unknown.
                    > >
                    > > Ethel Talley's parents were Johnny William (JW)
                    > > Talley and Ollie Mae
                    > > Holt.
                    > > Johnny W. Talley's parents are unknown.
                    > > Ollie Mae Holt's father was Dock Holt, buried in
                    > an
                    > > unmarked grave
                    > > at Longacre Cemetery in Stevenson, AL, and her
                    > > mother is unknown.
                    > >
                    > > I would greatly appreciate any information that

                    http://mail.yahoo.com
                  • lydia flack
                    Message 9 of 22 , Jun 13, 2006
                      my great grandfather is dock Holt he was born in cocke county Tennessee.
                      My grand fathers family James s Holt married to mahala holloway
                      my grandmother Rutha Holt also from cocke Tenn., living in Jackson county
                      from about 1880 -1930 living around fackler and holly wood .We do
                      have some talley kin also
                      can e-mail me for more info. llflack@...

                    • Bob Gilliam
                      Message 10 of 22 , Jun 14, 2006
                        Oh yes, forgot Rooster. Don't know about Thomas Jefferson Holt yet but they were probably closely related. Don't know where Luther Holt lived in Arkansas yet. We live in Knox County, TN and may find more info locally and will let you know.

                        We found a Rutha A Smith who was probably wife to Isaac Dock Holt. She was born in Cocke Co. TN, 1857 and was listed as "deaf". The family had no father at home in 1870 and she was attending school with Nancy Smith as head of house.
                        How do you find out if they are all or part Indian? My great grandparents (Andrew Jackson and Luvinia Mathews Evett) told me they were part "Black Dutch" and now the Indians say that was a standard "Cover".

> [...]

                        > > after being
                        > > widowed, married Jack Phillips.
                        > > Lemuel Gilliam's parents were Jessup (Jessie or
                        > JJ)
                        > > Gilliam & Mary
                        > > J. ??_________ (maiden name unknown) of Franklin
                        > > Co., TN.
                        > > Jessup Gilliam's parents were William Gilliam and
                        > > Elizabeth Sarah
                        > > Roark of Franklin Co., TN.
                        > > Mary J.'s ______ parents are unknown.
                        > >
                        > > Ethel Talley's parents were Johnny William (JW)
                        > > Talley and Ollie Mae
                        > > Holt.
                        > > Johnny W. Talley's parents are unknown.
                        > > Ollie Mae Holt's father was Dock Holt, buried in
                        > an
                        > > unmarked grave
                        > > at Longacre Cemetery in Stevenson, AL, and her
                        > > mother is unknown.
                        > >
                        > > I would greatly appreciate any information that

                        http://mail.yahoo.com

                      • Bob Gilliam

                          • joy0420@charter.net
                            Message 13 of 22 , Jun 15, 2006
                              Bob, See also Richard Matthews "Mathews" family page on the Jackson Co AL site of AlGenWeb. My husband's g'mother was thru James "Puncheon Jim" Mathews line.
                              You referred to the "Black Dutch" as being a cover for American Indian ancestry, and in some cases this was true. Also, there were peoples from the Black Forest region of Germany who referred to themselves as Black Dutch. It gets real dicey, esp since we are a country of immigrants. Thought that little tidbit might help you in your search.
                              Also, there are 2 "markers" for probable American Indian ancestry - shovel back teeth & a prominent "Anatolian" bump on the back of their head. In most N. European descendants the backs of their 4 upper front teeth are flat. In those with Amer Indian anscestry, the backs of the teeth have a curve much like a shovel. The "Anatolian" bump - if you run your fingers straight up your neck to the base of your skull, keep going, you will come to the occipital bone. In those of Amer Indian heritage this "Bump" will be very prominent, and often appears as a ridge along the base of the skull where it joins the spine.
                              I should also note that these 2 features not only can signify Amer Indian heritage, but also Melungeon heritage. Those peoples are a mixed race (mixture still unknown) but thought to be Portuguese, Amer Indian, African American, and others. Because they were neither black nor white nor Indian, they too referred to themselves at times as "Black Dutch", mainly b/c as you know there was much racial bias back in the day.
                              Hope all this helps, or is at least interesting.

                            • lydia flack
                              Message 14 of 22 , Jun 15, 2006
                                Rutha Holt was not a smith her fathers name starkie shaver mother percilla
                                from cocke co Tenn. .she married a Charlie Turner and then Dock Holt around 1900
                                She also was not deaf how ever she did only have one leg ,from gun falling over and getting
                                her leg also I think Dock Holt also had one leg from a logging accident . They traveled to Arkansas
                                to visit realities and he died there and he was brought back and was buried in Jackson co
                                She later return to Arkansas to die and be buried there ......Lydia llflack@...

                              • Bob Gilliam
                                Message 15 of 22 , Jun 15, 2006
                                  Thanks Joy, That's good information and I have both of those characteristics very strongly. I haven't seen any Dutch, German or Malungeon ancestry in the geneology but we do have Malungeons living here in east TN, especially in Harriman, TN. The one's I know have dark skin and blue eyes. James "Puncheon Jim" Mathews was my great-great grandfather's youngest brother and my great grandmother was Luvinia Clarcy Mathews Evett who told me many stories about the family moving to Alabama and then the Oklahoma territory.
                                  Thanks again, Bob.

                                  ---- Bob Gilliam <bgreat@...> wrote:
> [...]
                                  > > > after being
                                  > > > widowed, married Jack Phillips.
                                  > > > Lemuel Gilliam's parents were Jessup (Jessie or
                                  > > JJ)
                                  > > > Gilliam & Mary
                                  > > > J. ??_________ (maiden name unknown) of Franklin
                                  > > > Co., TN.
                                  > > > Jessup Gilliam's parents were William Gilliam and
                                  > > > Elizabeth Sarah
                                  > > > Roark of Franklin Co., TN.
                                  > > > Mary J.'s ______ parents are unknown.
                                  > > >
                                  > > > Ethel Talley's parents were Johnny William (JW)
                                  > > > Talley and Ollie Mae
                                  > > > Holt.
                                  > > > Johnny W. Talley's parents are unknown.
                                  > > > Ollie Mae Holt's father was Dock Holt, buried in
                                  > > an
                                  > > > unmarked grave
                                  > > > at Longacre Cemetery in Stevenson, AL, and her
                                  > > > mother is unknown.
                                  > > >
                                  > > > I would greatly appreciate any information that

                                • Michaele Swiderski
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Jun 15, 2006
                                    The melungeon info is very accurate. About 7 yrs ago I was diagnosed at the Mayo Clinic as having a genetic illness called FMF. It is found in Appalachia among Melungeon people. It has to be on both sides of the family to develop the illness. They told me the same thing about the teeth, bump in skull and also some discoloration of my gums. It is thought the Portuguese may have bred with the Cherokee when they came over and that is how the illness was passed. FMF is common among Sephardic Jews from Spain, Portugal and North Africa. Genetic tests can be done to prove your American Indian heritage.

                                    Michaele

                                    ---- Bob Gilliam <bgreat@...> wrote:
> [...]
                                    > > > after being
                                    > > > widowed, married Jack Phillips.
                                    > > > Lemuel Gilliam's parents were Jessup (Jessie or
                                    > > JJ)
                                    > > > Gilliam & Mary
                                    > > > J. ??_________ (maiden name unknown) of Franklin
                                    > > > Co., TN.
                                    > > > Jessup Gilliam's parents were William Gilliam and
                                    > > > Elizabeth Sarah
                                    > > > Roark of Franklin Co., TN.
                                    > > > Mary J.'s ______ parents are unknown.
                                    > > >
                                    > > > Ethel Talley's parents were Johnny William (JW)
                                    > > > Talley and Ollie Mae
                                    > > > Holt.
                                    > > > Johnny W. Talley's parents are unknown.
                                    > > > Ollie Mae Holt's father was Dock Holt, buried in
                                    > > an
                                    > > > unmarked grave
                                    > > > at Longacre Cemetery in Stevenson, AL, and her
                                    > > > mother is unknown.
                                    > > >
                                    > > > I would greatly appreciate any information that

                                  • Sam McDowell
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Jun 15, 2006
                                      Bob,
                                      Here are some links you might want to check out. I found proff of my Indian connection the Eastern cherokee application records 1906-1909.
                                      http://www.archives.gov/genealogy/heritage/native-american/
                                      http://www.lineages.com/InfoCenter/Records/cherokee.cfm
                                      http://www.genealogical.com/products/Eastern%20Cherokee%20by%20Blood,%201906-1910/9869.html
                                      If you don't know which family line has Indian and you just want to know if about yourself, you can do a DNA test.
                                      http://www.genetestlabs.com/spedntst/nativeindian.htm

                                      Sam
                                    • Bob Gilliam
                                      Message 18 of 22 , Jun 16, 2006
                                        Thanks Sam,

                                        Do you know where the Holts lived in TN or Arkansas? The Talley site lists Viney Holt as Dock's sister but that would probably be by a second wife if so. Do you know who Dock Holt's first wife was? She might have been Julia Lambert.
                                        Aunt Siney told me yesterday that Dock Holt had a wooden foot but didn't limp.

                                        Message 19 of 22 , Jun 16, 2006
                                          Lydia, Thanks for the information. My aunt said all of the children were by Dock's first wife, he had a wooden "foot" from the ankle down and he outlived his second wife (Ruthie) but didn't know of her having a wooden leg.

                                          Ollie Mae may have been named after Dock's mother (Mahala, Mahaley, Mahaly, Mahalie? which is an Indian word for "woman") and she rode a train from Fackler to Arkansas with a 9 day old baby and Ethel to see him.

                                          Where did Dock Holt live in TN and where in Arkansas did he live with his son Luther?

                                          Thanks, Bob

                                          Message 20 of 22 , Jun 16, 2006
                                            My holts lived in Cocke Co Tn, moved to Jackson Co AL and had 2 children (1893 and 1896) and then moved to Kilgore, Clay Co Arkansas around 1898, he is buried in Arkansas..
                                            I do not have a Dock Holt in my data bank, so I don't know anything about him. I wish I did. He is probably connected someway to my Thomas J Holt.

                                            Message 21 of 22 , Jun 16, 2006
                                              When looking for Indian ancestors a good bet is to look and see if any of their children, grandchildren or greatgrandchildren applied to be entered on one of the Indian Rolls.

                                              Most of the old one who stayed in the East actively hid their Indian ancestry.

                                              The mother of Juliet (Clark) Gullatt and Martha Elizabeth (Clark) Gullatt, Gemima (Welch) Clark was full blooded Cherokee yet on all the census she is listed as white.It is rare indeed to see someone listed as Indian on the census East of the MS River. It was her grandchildren who applied to be entered on the rolls. A cousin told me that it was whispered that the Gullatt's were Indian but not out in the open until recently. They were denied as a great many who were Indian were denied.

                                              The state of Virginia denied that there were any Indians in their state until the 1970s. It was illegal to be an Indian in almost all of the Eastern states until the 1970s. Small wonder that their ancestry was hidden. Many children of White and Indian couples would be listed as mulattos on the census also, VA law required it.. All that mulatto means is mixed race.

                                            • Bob Gilliam