New!

  • lyndajconner
    Message 1 of 17 , May 22, 2006
      New to genealogy, computers & groups--triple whammy! Researching
      surnames of ARNOLD in Jackson co. Bear w/ me,
      descended from:
      James Jordan ARNOLD B.02 Dec 1836 Jackson,AL 01 Apr 1897 Jackson
      w) Eleanor Jane MCCOY ABT 1841
      s) James Jerden ARNOLD 15 Oct 1868 Jackson AL 29 Apr 1947
      Jackson AL
      w) Sallie J GAMBLE 16 Nov 1869 Jackson Al 24 May 1936
      Jackson AL
      s) Pearl Wilson ARNOLD 28 Oct 1893 Jackson Al
      w) Myrtle Mineola MCCALL 17 Mar 1900 So. Pittsburg, Marion, TN
      22 Apr 1973 Chattanooga, Hamiton, TN
      d) Doris Jean Arnold JARRETT 03 Jul 1923 living
      So. Pittsburg, Marion,
      TN h) Warren Lee JARRETT 24 Mar 1921 Adairsville, Bartow, GA
      07 Oct 1965 Stuart, Martin, FL
      d) Lynda Jean JARRETT 16 May 1952 Chattanooga, TN

      Researching surnames: ARNOLD, MCCALL, COFFET, JARRETT,
      ARNOLD seems to be a nightmare to locate info. Can anyone help?
    • Mary Winn
      Message 2 of 17 , May 27, 2006
        Lynda, none of your last names match my database; however, will continue to
        monitor your emails. Welcome to the list.
        Regards,
        Mary Winn Anderson
        Researching Anderson, Morris, Prince, Graham, and other allied families

      • rgpipes@hughes.net
        Message 3 of 17 , May 27, 2006
          My great Aunt Ruth GOLD married a Band GRAHAM. Is he any relations to you?
          Seems like I also have ANDERSON in my family. Can't remember off hand BUT I
          do know that I had a cousin named Patricia ANDERSON. I am also related to a
          Jim and Geneva GRIDER WINN.

          Message 4 of 17 , May 27, 2006
            Mary,
            I'm sure we have talked before in the past, but I've forgotten who your
            GRAHAMS were in Jackson Co.
            Mine were James 1790, James F.1831, George William 1857, William Henry 1883.
            The first 2 were born in Ky., and the last 2 were born in Jackson Co., Al.
            Were you related to these or the other GRAHAMS, John, Jesse, etc. who went
            to Tx. about the mid 1800s.
            Velma Graham Finley
          • Roy Chadwick
            Message 5 of 17 , May 28, 2006
              Hi Lynda,
              In looking at your surnames I saw the name Coffet,and could have it been spelled Coffelt at one time?. My GGGparents were Jacob Coffelt,and Rhoda Keele from Bedford/Coffee/Rutherford Co's in TN.
              Thanks very much,
              Roy Chadwick aka Shadrach.

              Message 6 of 17 , May 28, 2006
                Velma, computer is crashed, can only use email and internet. will get back
                with you when I can open family file.
                Regards,
                Mary winn Anderson

                Message 7 of 17 , May 29, 2006
                  In a message dated 5/28/2006 4:46:07 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
                  marywinn@... writes:
                  Velma, computer is crashed, can only use email and internet. will get back
                  with you when I can open family file.
                  Regards,
                  Mary winn Anderson
                  *****
                  Sure, Mary.
                  Good luck!!
                  Velma
                • Patricia Brown

                      Message 10 of 17 , Jan 30, 2007
                        Hi,

                        Yes, I am an Arnold descendant. There is a new book out by Steve Arnold
                        whose family went to Indiana. All of the Arnolds on Crow Creek are related and,
                        for the most part, had large families. I will try to find you an email
                        address. Can't seem to locate one at the moment.

                        Best Regards,

                        Marymac Johnson
                        dau. of
                        Mary Charlsie Crabtree/Macklin C. Johnson
                        dau. of
                        Margaret Elizabeth Arnold/Ed Crabtree
                        dau. of
                        *J. J. "Jurd" Arnold/Sarah Pippin
                        son of
                        Jeremiah Arnold/Elizabeth Stubblefield
                        son of
                        James Arnold/?

                        *Nephew of your James Jordon Arnold.

                        James Arnold was our first ancestor to come into the Crow Creek Valley from
                        Hawkins Co., TN along with the Matthews, Looney, Willis and Stewart families.
                        He probably came into TN from the Southside of VA.
                        Since many of the early records of Hawkins Co., TN have burned, it is
                        difficult to find information about them.
                        The only other information would come from "The Stevenson Story" written by
                        Eliza Woodall that can be purchased from the Depot in Stevenson. Look on
                        Stevenson website.

                      • lanitass
                        Message 11 of 17 , Mar 31, 2007
                          RE:
                          > my ggrandfather Willifm F. H. (Bose) Moore, b Jan 1861 in Tennessee, was married to
                          Sarah Jane Arnold, born Jun 1865, in Tennessee. They were married 24 Dec 1880. She
                          died 15 Dec 1954 and both are buried in Secction, Jackson, Al. There is no headstone just
                          a rock at the head and foot.

                          I am interested in your ARNOLDs in Jackson Co. My Wm. A. ARNOLD was b. 1820 LIncoln
                          Co., TN, son of Ralph C. ARNOLD and Jane REID. Ralph was b. 1787. Ralph was son of
                          William [OF COURSE, Let's ALL name our son William if our last name is ARNOLD!!! :>)].

                          listed in the "ABTRACTS OF REV. WAR PENSION FILES"; pg 81

                          William, R272, VA line, appl 17 Nov 1834, b 31 Aug 1749 in Cumberland Cty VA, was
                          living in Henry Cty VA at enl then moved to Surry Cty NC then to TN on the Holston River
                          for 2 yrs then to Jackson Cty AL for 2 yrs then back to Rutherford Cty TN whre he lived at
                          appl

                          Lots of info on Wm. A son of Ralph, who moved to Oregon Co., MO after marrying Amanda
                          DUBOISE from Jackson Co. Willing to share if we connect!

                          Thanks!
                          Lanita in MO
                        • frances sadler
                          Message 12 of 17 , Apr 1, 2007
                            Lanita, your William A. Arnold is a brother to my gggrandmother Martha
                            (Polly) Arnold Green. Do you have any information on Martha's husband James
                            Green? I know he was born in Va. but I don't know who his parents were.
                            Would love to hear from you. Frances Landess Sadler
                            > > my ggrandfather Willifm F. H. (Bose) Moore, b Jan 1861 in Tennessee, was
                            married to
                            > Sarah Jane Arnold, born Jun 1865, in Tennessee. They were married 24 Dec
                            1880. She
                            > died 15 Dec 1954 and both are buried in Secction, Jackson, Al. There is
                            no headstone just
                            > a rock at the head and foot.
                            > >

                            > I am interested in your ARNOLDs in Jackson Co. My Wm. A. ARNOLD was b.
                            1820 LIncoln
                            > Co., TN, son of Ralph C. ARNOLD and Jane REID. Ralph was b. 1787. Ralph
                            was son of
                            > William [OF COURSE, Let's ALL name our son William if our last name is
                            ARNOLD!!! :>)].

                            > listed in the "ABTRACTS OF REV. WAR PENSION FILES"; pg 81
                            >
                            > William, R272, VA line, appl 17 Nov 1834, b 31 Aug 1749 in Cumberland Cty
                            VA, was
                            > living in Henry Cty VA at enl then moved to Surry Cty NC then to TN on the
                            Holston River
                            > for 2 yrs then to Jackson Cty AL for 2 yrs then back to Rutherford Cty TN
                            whre he lived at
                            > appl
                            >
                            > Lots of info on Wm. A son of Ralph, who moved to Oregon Co., MO after
                            marrying Amanda
                            > DUBOISE from Jackson Co. Willing to share if we connect!
                            >
                            > Thanks!
                            > Lanita in MO
                            >

                            > Yahoo! Groups Links

                          • Lanita Sconce Smith
                            Message 13 of 17 , Apr 1, 2007
                              HI Cuz!

                              I am thrilled to hear from another new cousin! I don't have any info on
                              James GREEN, except that he and Polly were found in the 1850 census in
                              Jackson Co., and that he d. 8 Jun 1880 [and she on 22 Sept 1877]. I
                              don't know where they are buried.

                              Do you have access to ancestry or heritagequest census? I have ancestry
                              to try to help, but I haven't researched the Greens at all.

                              Do you agree that Martha's parents were Ralph C. ARNOLD and Jane
                              REID/REED? If so, who do you have for their parents? Anxious to hear
                              from you!

                              Lanita in MO

                              FYI: I have pic of Wm's grave if you want or need.
                            • frances sadler
                              Message 14 of 17 , Apr 2, 2007
                                Lanita, I do believe that William Arnold was Ralph A. Arnold's father and
                                that Ralph A. Arnold and Jane Reid are your William and my gggrandmother
                                Martha Arnold Green's parents..I believe it is in the 1830 census for
                                Lincoln Co. that the Arnolds and some Greens are in the same area on the
                                census. What I have is that Ralph and Jane were married in N.C. where Jane
                                was born. They married in 1807. My believe is that the Arnolds and the
                                Greens knew each other in Va. My James Green was born in 1805 in Va. Where
                                I don't know. James and Martha Arnold Green are buried in Prince Cemetery
                                also known as Larkin's Fork.. Maybe we can piece some information together
                                that will help us both. Frances Sadler
                                > I am thrilled to hear from another new cousin! I don't have any info on
                                > James GREEN, except that he and Polly were found in the 1850 census in
                                > Jackson Co., and that he d. 8 Jun 1880 [and she on 22 Sept 1877]. I
                                > don't know where they are buried.
                                >
                                > Do you have access to ancestry or heritagequest census? I have ancestry
                                > to try to help, but I haven't researched the Greens at all.
                                >
                                > Do you agree that Martha's parents were Ralph C. ARNOLD and Jane
                                > REID/REED? If so, who do you have for their parents? Anxious to hear
                                > from you!
                                >
                                > Lanita in MO
                                >
                                > FYI: I have pic of Wm's grave if you want or need.
                                >

                                > Yahoo! Groups Links

                              • Lanita Sconce Smith
                                Message 15 of 17 , Apr 2, 2007
                                  Frances,

                                  I have the following:
                                  First Generation
                                  —————————————————————————————————————————————

                                  1. William [3] ARNOLD. Born on 31 Aug 1749 in Cumberland Co. VA. County
                                  Line change from Stoke County, NC Is Formed From Surry County, in
                                  1789. Was on the census for Stokes County, NC, neighbors are Joseph
                                  REED/REID family, in 1790. Was on the census for Rutherford Co., TN, in
                                  1810. Was on the census for Murfreesboro, Rutherford Co., TN, in 1820.
                                  Was on the census for Rutherford Co., TN [there are 3 listed for
                                  Rutherford Co., TN], in 1830. Applied for Rev. War Pension on 17 Nov
                                  1834 Rutherford Co., TN. William [3] died in possibly Rutherford Co.,
                                  TN, ca 1838; he was 88. Buried in Probably Rutherford Co., TN.

                                  Ca 1769 when William [3] was 19, he married Unknown.

                                  They had the following children:
                                  i. William. Born in 1787 in South Carolina.
                                  William married Arey JACOBS.
                                  2 ii. Ralph C. (1787-1858)
                                  iii. Joel. Born in 1797 in Tennessee. Was on the census for Jackson
                                  Co., AL, in 1850.

                                  Second Generation
                                  —————————————————————————————————————————————
                                  Family of William [3] ARNOLD (1) & Unknown

                                  2. Ralph C. ARNOLD (William [3]1). Born in 1787 in probably Henry Co.,
                                  VA. Was on the census for Lincoln Co., TN, in 1820. Was on the census
                                  for Lincoln Co., TN, in 1830. Was on the census for Jackson Co., AL; 2
                                  doors down is a family of REEDs, in 1840. Was on the census for Jackson
                                  Co., AL, in 1850. Ralph C. died in Jackson Co., AL, in 1858; he was 71.
                                  Will was probated in 1859 Jackson Co., Alabama. Occupation: Farmer In
                                  1850. Farm Was Worth $800. Residence: They lived at Jackson County, AL.

                                  Ca 1805 when Ralph C. was 18, he married Jane REID, daughter of Joseph
                                  REID/READ (1760-) & UNKNOWN, in Possibly Stokes Co., NC. Born ca 1787
                                  in North Carolina. Was on the census for Jackson Co., AL, in 1840. Was
                                  on the census for Jackson Co., AL, in 1850. Was on the census for
                                  Jackson Co., Alabama, in 1860. Was on the census for Jackson Co.,
                                  Alabama, Living With Her Daughter., in 1870. Jane died in Jackson Co.,
                                  Alabama, ca 1876; she was 89.

                                  1840 Jackson Co., AL
                                  ARNOLD, Ralph, 1 male 10-15, 1 male 15-20, 1 male 40-50, 2 females
                                  10-15, 2 females 20-30, 1 female 30-40

                                  1870 Jackson Co., AL
                                  McCOLLUM, Curtis, age 65
                                  Cynthia, age 63
                                  Washburn, John, age 53 white
                                  McCOLLUM, Mary, age 35, black
                                  Lewis, age 13, black
                                  Dory, agee 6, black
                                  Julia, age 21, black
                                  Minirvy, age 6, black
                                  ARNOLD, Jane, age 85, listed as black, but she was born in NC and
                                  matches Jane, mother of Cynthia

                                  They had the following children:
                                  i. Elizabeth (~1807-<1859)
                                  ii. Mary Aka Polly (1808->1880)
                                  iii. Cynthia (1809-1900)
                                  iv. Martha [Polly] (1813-1877)
                                  v. John (1814->1860)
                                  vi. Nancy (1817-<1880)
                                  vii. Frances [Fannie] Amanda (~1818-1887)
                                  viii. William A. [4] (1820-1873)
                                  ix. Ralph C. [JR] (1828->1858)
                                  x. Jane (1830-<1880)
                                  xi. James (-1825)

                                  I have a concern that I may have skipped a generation. I just don't
                                  know if 40 years is reasonable amount of years between the birth of a
                                  father to a birth of a son, back then.

                                  Your thoughts?
                                  Lanita
                                • dragonriders118
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Jun 17, 2007
                                    My name is John McCollum Green. I am related to the same Ralph Arnold
                                    and Jane Reid Arnold through their daughter Cynthia Arnold who married
                                    my gggrandfather Curtis McCollum. Interestingly, another sister married
                                    Curtis' brother Barnabas. I believe that a Nancy McCollum was their
                                    mother because the 1820 census of Lincoln Cty TN showed a Nancy McCollum
                                    with children in the appropriate age and sex categories as they are
                                    tabulated in the census records of that time. On the same page is a
                                    Ralph Arnold with wife and family also in the proper categories. Of
                                    course we need more to be sure. if you are interested in any of the
                                    McCollum, I have a lot of info.

                                    John
                                    --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com, "lanitass" <ozarkn@...> wrote:

                                    > RE:
                                    > > my ggrandfather Willifm F. H. (Bose) Moore, b Jan 1861 in Tennessee,
                                    was married to
                                    > Sarah Jane Arnold, born Jun 1865, in Tennessee. They were married 24
                                    Dec 1880. She
                                    > died 15 Dec 1954 and both are buried in Secction, Jackson, Al. There
                                    is no headstone just
                                    > a rock at the head and foot.
                                    > >

                                    > I am interested in your ARNOLDs in Jackson Co. My Wm. A. ARNOLD was
                                    b. 1820 LIncoln
                                    > Co., TN, son of Ralph C. ARNOLD and Jane REID. Ralph was b. 1787.
                                    Ralph was son of
                                    > William [OF COURSE, Let's ALL name our son William if our last name
                                    is ARNOLD!!! :>)].

                                    > listed in the "ABTRACTS OF REV. WAR PENSION FILES"; pg 81
                                    >
                                    > William, R272, VA line, appl 17 Nov 1834, b 31 Aug 1749 in Cumberland
                                    Cty VA, was
                                    > living in Henry Cty VA at enl then moved to Surry Cty NC then to TN on
                                    the Holston River
                                    > for 2 yrs then to Jackson Cty AL for 2 yrs then back to Rutherford Cty
                                    TN whre he lived at
                                    > appl
                                    >
                                    > Lots of info on Wm. A son of Ralph, who moved to Oregon Co., MO after
                                    marrying Amanda
                                    > DUBOISE from Jackson Co. Willing to share if we connect!
                                    >
                                    > Thanks!
                                    > Lanita in MO

                                  • dragonriders118
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Jun 17, 2007
                                      Frances,

                                      I don't have any info on James Green, but I am very interested in the
                                      decendents of James and his wife Martha Arnold. Is it possible that
                                      James had brothers named Marne D., Isaac and Henry? I guess with travel
                                      so hard and few neighbors there had to be lots of marriages within an
                                      extended family with 8 to 10 surnames.

                                      John McCollum Green

                                      --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com, "frances sadler" <frances1@...>
                                      wrote:

                                      > Lanita, your William A. Arnold is a brother to my gggrandmother Martha
                                      > (Polly) Arnold Green. Do you have any information on Martha's husband
                                      James
                                      > Green? I know he was born in Va. but I don't know who his parents
                                      were.
                                      > Would love to hear from you. Frances Landess Sadler
                                      Lincoln