Re: [jacksongenealogy] Harper,Hicks,Gullatt

    Message 1 of 2 , May 18, 2006
      Sarah

      It's pronounced Guh-lat thought most of my family pronounce it Gull-let as is sea gull and let me help. I think from the way the 1st Peter Gullatt signed his name (Peter Gollatt) it must have originally been Goe let or Goe-lat.

      It goes John Gullett b. ca 1685/90 Somerset Co. MD, John Gullett/Gullatt b. 20 Apr 1711 St.Stephens Parish Cecil Co. MD d. Aug 1753 Cecil Co. MD.It was with the inventory and settlement of his estate that the spelling was changed. Peter Gullatt b. 17 Jun 1740 St.Stephens Parish, Cecil Co. MD d. Feb/Mar 1784 Fairfax Co. MD, John Gullatt b. 1772/77 Truro Parish Fairfax Co. VA d. Aug/Sep 1824 Jackson Co. AL, James Madison Gullatt b. 15 Apr 1820 Jackson Co. AL d. 23 Jun 1906 near Dutton, Sand Mountain, Jackson Co. AL

      St.Stephens church records have Peter I and his brother John I names listed as Golat.

      John and Catherine (Mitchell) Gullatt along with brother Peter II , sisters Rebecca and Rachel moved with their families from Loudoun/Fairfax Co. VA to Lincoln Co. GA ca 1800. John then moved to near Bellefonte, Jackson Co. AL in 1816. His brother and sisters remained in Lincoln and Wilkes Co. GA. Two other brothers remained in VA.