advice

  • Michaele Swiderski
    Message 1 of 9 , May 7, 2006
      I'm new to researching in Jackson County and could use some advice. My great grandfather was Andrew Jackson Steel. He was convicted of murder and sent to prison where he died about a year later. Andrew was born Oct 1883 up on Keith Springs MT in Franklin County. He is son of Levi Steel and unknown Oder. On 1930 census He is living in jackson County with sons George and James and their children.

      1930 census Trenton, Jackson, Alabama
      Andrew 48, manager sawmill, TN, TN, TN
      Ida 49, AL, TN, AL
      George 26, laborer sawmill, AL, TN, AL (son)
      Ethel 7, AL, AL, AL (granddaughter)
      Thomas 6, AL, AL, AL (grandson)
      James L. 21,TN, TN,TN (son)
      Mattie B. Kindred 21,TN, TN, TN (daughter)
      Mildred 2,TN, TN, TN (granddaughter)

      I don't know exactly when murder occurred, but my father and aunt remember going to funeral while small children. My aunt was born in 1938 and my father in 1935. For them to remember the event I'm guessing my aunt had to be at least 4 or 5 years old which puts in around 1943. Andrew died in prison so there is surely a death certificate, but I don't know how to search for it without a date. I live in Chattanooga and can search microfilms at the library here by year and county and find records, but I don't know where to do that kind of searching in AL. I don't know where he went to prison, so don't know what county he would have died in. He is buried at Keith Springs Mountian, Franklin County TN, but there is no marker for him or his first wife Emma who is supposed to be beside him. I contacted the man who keeps the records and he met us at the cemetery. They had no record of the year he was buried and the lot he was supposed to be in has the marker for his son George on it, so I wasn't able to learn anything there. I went to Scotsboro court house and they had a record of him being in court in 1939, but those records were missing and I think it was too early to be the murder case. I searched newspapers around the date, but came up with nothing. I would think a murder case would make the paper. Does anyone have any advice on how I could find his prison record, death cert, or newspaper accounts. I don't mind spending hours searching if I just had an idea where I should go. I'm hoping his death cert. might give the name of his mother. All I have on her is the last name Oder (from brother James Valentine Steele's death cert.) and that she was from Missouri from the census records. Andrew's second wife was named Ida and she lived long after Andrew, but no one remebers where she is buried. She was a step-mom to my grandfather, but she raised him since he was 5 so really like a mom. My father said they visited her often and they've told me many stories of her, but they don't know where her funeral was and I can't find her on any cemetery listings in Jackson. Would appreciate any help, advice, thoughts or ideas on how to continue my search. Also I have access to TN death certs and would be happy to help someone else if they need a search done.

      Thanks Michaele

    • frances_lambert2000
      Message 2 of 9 , May 7, 2006
        In Jackson county I would go to the Scottsboro Library they have old
        news papers on micro film and books that list death anouncements and
        lets you know which paper it is in. if he died in Jackson maybe you
        can find it that way

        --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com, "Michaele Swiderski"
        <msbs05@...> wrote:

> [...]
        mind spending hours searching if I just had an idea where I should
        go. I'm hoping his death cert. might give the name of his mother. All
        I have on her is the last name Oder (from brother James Valentine
        Steele's death cert.) and that she was from Missouri from the census
        records. Andrew's second wife was named Ida and she lived long after
        Andrew, but no one remebers where she is buried. She was a step-mom
        to my grandfather, but she raised him since he was 5 so really like a
        mom. My father said they visited her often and they've told me many
        stories of her, but they don't know where her funeral was and I can't
        find her on any cemetery listings in Jackson. Would appreciate any
        help, advice, thoughts or ideas on how to continue my search. Also I
        have access to TN death certs and would be happy to help someone else

      • Michaele Swiderski
        Message 3 of 9 , May 7, 2006
          I didn't know about the death ann. book. Thanks so very much. maybe I can find him in it and trace back a year for the court case. I know the case went on for several days and from the story of the murder it would have happened late summer, because he was bringing in the crops when it occurred. Do you know if huntsville would have all AL death certs I could search on microfilm? With that book I might be able to find his wife Ida too. Thank you again for the help.

          Michaele

          <msbs05@...> wrote:

> [...]
          mind spending hours searching if I just had an idea where I should
          go. I'm hoping his death cert. might give the name of his mother. All
          I have on her is the last name Oder (from brother James Valentine
          Steele's death cert.) and that she was from Missouri from the census
          records. Andrew's second wife was named Ida and she lived long after
          Andrew, but no one remebers where she is buried. She was a step-mom
          to my grandfather, but she raised him since he was 5 so really like a
          mom. My father said they visited her often and they've told me many
          stories of her, but they don't know where her funeral was and I can't
          find her on any cemetery listings in Jackson. Would appreciate any
          help, advice, thoughts or ideas on how to continue my search. Also I
          have access to TN death certs and would be happy to help someone else

        • SUE LONG
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 15 9:49 AM
            Hi Michaele
            I have ben unable to get these messages for a while an i just ran a cross your i have been looking for information on the deaths of my ggrandparents Edward an Mandy Carter when they died an where buried also on the same on Thomas an Alice Hass they all lived in around Kimbel an Jasper Tn. enything would be a great help
            thank you
            Sue Long

[...]

          • Bob Gilliam

              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 15 11:14 AM
                <msbs05@...> wrote:

> [...]
                accounts. I don't mind spending hours searching if I just had an idea
                where I should go. I'm hoping his death cert. might give the name of his
                mother. All I have on her is the last name Oder (from brother James
                Valentine Steele's death cert.) and that she was from Missouri from the
                census records. Andrew's second wife was named Ida and she lived long
                after Andrew, but no one remebers where she is buried. She was a
                step-mom to my grandfather, but she raised him since he was 5 so really
                like a mom. My father said they visited her often and they've told me
                many stories of her, but they don't know where her funeral was and I
                can't find her on any cemetery listings in Jackson. Would appreciate any
                help, advice, thoughts or ideas on how to continue my search. Also I
                have access to TN death certs and would be happy to help someone else if

                Michael,

                I'm old and tired, please summerize for me what exactly you are looking
                for besides Ms. Oder's first name. I found Levi and Andrew on the 1900
                census.
              • Michaele Swiderski
                Message 7 of 9 , Jun 15 11:57 AM
                  I am looking for death date, death certificate, prison record, court case, newspaper account, anything to help find his death cert that might have mother's name. I have them on census through 1930's.
                  Michaele

> [...]
                  census records. Andrew's second wife was named Ida and she lived long
                  after Andrew, but no one remebers where she is buried. She was a
                  step-mom to my grandfather, but she raised him since he was 5 so really
                  like a mom. My father said they visited her often and they've told me
                  many stories of her, but they don't know where her funeral was and I
                  can't find her on any cemetery listings in Jackson. Would appreciate any
                  help, advice, thoughts or ideas on how to continue my search. Also I
                  have access to TN death certs and would be happy to help someone else if
                  they need a search done.

                  > Thanks Michaele

                  Michael,

                  I'm old and tired, please summerize for me what exactly you are looking
                  for besides Ms. Oder's first name. I found Levi and Andrew on the 1900

                • lewatkins
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jun 19 4:51 PM
                    Sue, would you please look for the death certifcate of Will Joe BUNCH? (
                    could be William Joseph )
                    Will was supposedly living in or near South Pittsburg, Marion Co., TN at the
                    time of his death. Guessing it was in the time frame of 1885-1900 as my
                    grandmother, his wife, was found on the Jackson Co. 1900 census listed as
                    his widow & her son Tate B. Bunch was born in 1885.
                    Any help greatly appreciated...
                    Mary
> [...]
                    > Andrew's second wife was named Ida and she lived long after Andrew, but no
                    > one remebers where she is buried. She was a step-mom to my grandfather,
                    > but she raised him since he was 5 so really like a mom. My father said
                    > they visited her often and they've told me many
                    > stories of her, but they don't know where her funeral was and I can't find
                    > her on any cemetery listings in Jackson. Would appreciate any help,
                    > advice, thoughts or ideas on how to continue my search. Also I have access
                    > to TN death certs and would be happy to help someone else if they need a
                    > search done.
                    >
                    > Thanks Michaele

                    > American family home insurance American family home insurance
                    > company American family home owner insurance Multi family home for
                    > sale Single family home for sale Family home finance

                  • SUE LONG