RE: [jacksongenealogy] Digest Number 220

  • Anne Rohr
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 10, 2000
      From: jacksongenealogy@egroups.com [mailto:jacksongenealogy@egroups.com]
      Sent: Tuesday, October 10, 2000 9:06 AM
      To: jacksongenealogy@egroups.com
      Subject: [jacksongenealogy] Digest Number 220

      There are 4 messages in this issue.

      Topics in this digest:

      1. Re:
      From: Richard Matthews <prm@...>
      2. RE: WEBB, MORGAN, CONLEY
      From: "Anne Rohr" <arohr@...>
      3. Re: RE: WEBB, MORGAN, CONLEY
      From: "Dr. Charles D. Smith, Jr." <drcds@...>
      4. Re: RE: WEBB, MORGAN, CONLEY
      From: vrfinley@...

      Message: 1
      Date: Mon, 09 Oct 2000 07:22:49 -0500
      From: Richard Matthews <prm@...>
      Subject: Re:

      At 09:58 AM 10/8/00 EDT, you wrote:
      >Where is the Jackson County Heritage Center at?
      >
      >I was in Scottsboro last weekend, and have no idea where the Center is at.
      >
      >Any help will be welcomed.
      >

      >Donna Sanders Ashley
      >Huntland Tennessee

      One block West of the square on S.Houston St. The county square is on Broad
      Street

      Message: 2
      Date: Mon, 9 Oct 2000 16:32:40 -0400
      From: "Anne Rohr" <arohr@...>
      Subject: RE: WEBB, MORGAN, CONLEY

      I'm sorry. I should have included dates when I first posted my request for
      help. I do know better. I have requested information about Charles
      Augustus Webb and his wife, Florence Morgan. Charles was born 14 July 1867
      in Milton County, GA and died 23 June, 1915 in Langston, Jackson County, AL.
      He married Florence Morgan on 19 February 1890. Florence was born 19 July,
      1971 in Jackson County, AL, died 6 May, 1941 and is buried in the Davis
      Cemetery in Langston, AL. Their children were Cloe Irene (my grandmother),
      born 22 July, 1891, Langston, died 26 August, 1962, South Pittsburg, Marion,
      TN. Married 9 December 1909 to Robert Annis Padgett; Veda P. B: 7 Jan 1895
      Jackson Cty, AL D: 30 June, 1896 Jackson Cty., AL; Walter Charles Webb B:
      19 Dec 1896 Jackson Cty, AL. D: 30 Sept. 1951, Jackson Cty., AL; Ernest
      P. B: 20 Sept, 1898, Jackson Cty., AL D: 15 Oct. 1918, Jackson Cty.,
      AL;John David Morgan B: 18 Dec, 1900, Jackson Cty., D: about 1952;
      Margaret Virginia Webb; B: 11 Mar 1911, Jackson Cty, AL, D: 13 April 1955,
      Scottsboro, Jackson Cty., AL Married ___ ______ 1930, Decatur,, AL to
      Paul Wesley Conley. I don't know spouses for any of the others, or children
      for any other than grandmother or Aunt Ginny. John Malon Morgan and
      Margaret Snodgrass were the parents of Florence Morgan. John Malon was born
      10 March 1838, Pickens County, SC and died 10 Mar, 1902 in Langston,
      Jackson, AL. He married Margaret Snodgrass 9 September 1858. Margaret was
      born 6 January 1840 in Abingdon, Washington County, VA and died 18 april
      1908 in Langston, Jackson County, AL.

      I do not have any dates for Paul Wesley Conley or for their daughter, Janet.
      More than dates, I am hoping to find out other information regarding their
      life in Langston and Scottsboro, or that area. Any information regarding
      their occupations, newspaper articles, anything at all would be very much
      appreciated! Thanks very much for your help!

      [This message contained attachments]

      Message: 3
      Date: Mon, 09 Oct 2000 20:46:09 -0500
      From: "Dr. Charles D. Smith, Jr." <drcds@...>
      Subject: Re: RE: WEBB, MORGAN, CONLEY

      Anne:
      My wife and I are friends of Janet Conley (now Mrs. Phil Christian).
      They live in Huntsville, AL where we do, but have a place in Scottsboro
      on the Tennessee River for weekends. I will tell her of your interest
      and see what she has on her family line. Her mother and father are both
      deceased. I am also related (through marriage) to Annis Padgett. I think
      Janet is in Florida right now with one of her daughters, but I'll tell
      her when I see her.
      Dr C. D. Smith

      Message: 4
      Date: Mon, 09 Oct 2000 19:32:03 -0700
      From: vrfinley@...

      Dr. Smith:

      What do you know about the Padgetts of the Holly Tree/ Princeton area?
      My Great Grandmother was the daughter of W.B.J. Padgett, who was an
      Alabama State Representative from Jackson County.

      Velma Graham Finley
      vrfinley@...

      --
      vrfinley@... - email

      ---- "Dr. Charles D. Smith, Jr." <drcds@...> wrote:

      > Anne:
      > My wife and I are friends of Janet Conley (now Mrs. Phil Christian).
      > They live in Huntsville, AL where we do, but have a place in Scottsboro
      > on the Tennessee River for weekends. I will tell her of your interest
      > and see what she has on her family line. Her mother and father are
      > both
      > deceased. I am also related (through marriage) to Annis Padgett. I
      > think
      > Janet is in Florida right now with one of her daughters, but I'll tell
      > her when I see her.
      > Dr C. D. Smith

      Dr. Smith,
      How are you related to the Annis Padgett? He was my grandfather, and one of
      the most precious people in my life, along with my grandmother. It is
      probably because of them that I have gotten into the genealogy and the
      desire to trace the family roots is so strong. I do still correspond with
      Janet, but have been negligent about writing her for several months. I was
      just hoping for some information from people that know Aunt Ginny and Uncle
      Paul from a different perspective too. Janet and I have stayed in fairly
      close touch through the years, though we are not able to see each other
      often, as I live in Florida, and she lives in Alabama. I still work and
      that doesn't leave much time for traveling just yet. I still have many
      Padgett cousins in Tennessee also, a couple of whom are working on the
      family history, but more from just a family tree sort of angle. I am
      interested in that also, but more interested in the stories along with the
      family tree charts. Granddaddy loved the stories so much, and I would love
      to be able to pass as much of the story down to our children as possible. I
      always loved the old log cabin so much, and can remember it vividly. I
      don't remember much else about Scottsboro. I would be interested in hearing
      more from you re your relationship to the family.
      Anne Rohr
      arohr@...
      Get your own free email, set up a MyFamily site at http://www.MyFamily.com