Weatherby/Latta people

  • pugblondie
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 17 2:20 PM
      I'm brand new to this forum, but I thought someone here can help me.
      I'm trying to do research on my great grandfather, Mason Cotnam
      Weatherby. He stated on one document that he was born in Jackson Co.,
      AL on 4-1-1883. Indeed, I believe he was named for Dr. Mason Cotnam
      who had a pharmacy there (in Jackson Co.)and then a practice in Marion
      Co., TN at the time of his birth. His mother apparently first marries
      a Mr. Latta because on a document dated 1896, William Latta names
      himself as "half brother" to Mason (William is 12 years older). Then
      she marries a Mr. Weatherby and has Mason. William Latta's sister (or
      first cousin, not sure) Sarah C. Latta married William Marshall
      Wilkerson, also from Jackson Co. around 1886. Ten years later, they
      all wind up in Nashville TN. William M. Wilkerson and Sarah end up
      moving back to Alabama. If any of you have ANY idea where I can look
      next, I would really appreciate it. I started my genealogical journey
      with this man 6 years ago and have made very little head way.
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 20 6:00 PM
        Spelling as on the documents.

        WW1 Draft Reg.
        Mason Catton Weatherby
        R-12 West Nashville, Davidson Co. TN
        Age 35 born 1 April 1883
        White Native Born
        Shiping Clerk Cumberland Foundry Nashville
        Nearest Relative: Malvine Weatherby
        R-12 West Nashville, Davidson Co. TN
        Wgt-medium Build-stout Eyes-grey Hair-brown
        Remarks- Lost one arm
        date of reg. Sept 12 1918

        He signed as Mason Catton Weatherby. If you want a copy I will email it.

        1900 Census Dist 142 Tennesse Industrial School, Davidson Co. TN
        Mason Weatherby Jun 1881 19 TN TN TN At School

        The above maybe an orphanage. can't really tell. There are children as young as 10 and some with same last name side by side.

        There is only one other Weatherby listed in Davidson Co. TN in 1900 they are indexed at HeritageQuest but not at ancestry. I am listing as it appears on the census image. Will email the image if you want it.

        1900 Census Ward 14 Nashville, Dividson Co. TN
        89 Claiborn St. House 25 Family 28
        Weatherby, Thomas Head Oct 74 25 Mar.18yrs TN TN TN Insurance Agt
        Sallie E. Wife Sep 62 37 Mar.18yrs 3Child/3Living TN TN TN
        Gatta or Latta Andrew Son Sep 84 15 TN (Line thru Gatta or Latta)
        ------------Ethel G. Daugh May 87 13 TN At School
        ------------Hudson H. Son June 90 9 TN
        Luster, Thomas Brother 79 31 TN TN TN Works at Box Factory
        Spain, Minnie L. Sister Sep 79 21 Single TN TN TN

        Note that Thomas Weatherby's last name does not match with what is listed for his brother and sister.

        1900 13 Civil Dist. Nashville, Davidson Co. TN
        William Latta May 1871 29 Mar.1yr MI MI MI Tinner
        Dovie E. Wife May 1867 33 Mar.1yr 1Child/1Living TN TN TN
        No Child is listed.

        1910 Dist 109 11th Civil Dist Davidson Co. TN
        Mason C. Weatherby Head 27 Mar.once 6yrs TN TN MI Farmer
        Mollie F. Wife 25 Mar.once 6yrs 3Child/3Living TN TN TN
        William M. Son 5 TN TN TN
        James A. Son 2 TN TN TN
        George B. Son 0 TN TN TN

        1910 25 Ward 1st Civil Dist. Nashville TN
        William L. Latta Head 38 Mar.twice 2yrs MI Canada(French) MI Tinner Own Shop
        Rhoda J. Wife 39 Mar.3times 3Child/3Living IL VA GA
        Walter Son 18 Mar.once 0yrs AL MI IL Switchhouse Railroad
        Rosa L. Dau-in-Law Mar.once 0yrs no child. TN MI IL

        1920 Civil Dist 8 Davidson Co. TN
        Mason C. Weatherby Head 35 TN TN TN Shiping Clerk Foundry
        Mollie Wife 33 TN TN TN
        William M. Son 16 TN TN TN
        James A. Son 13 TN TN TN
        George B. 11 TN TN TN
        Rosie Dau 7 TN TN TN
        Margrette Dau 3yrs 10mon. TN TN TN
        Mason C. Jr. Son 1yr 4mon. TN TN TN

        Family tree says Mason C. Sr. mar. 21 Jun 1903. Died 18 Jun 1929 Sumner, TN

        Mason C. Jr. is on the SS Death Index. b. 23 Sep 1919 d. 25 Jan 1997.

        1920 Civil Dist 13 Davidson Co. TN
        William M. Latta Head 48 MI MI MI
        Rhoda Wife 48 IL VA GA
        Fannie Dau-in-Law 19 TN TN TN
        Dora M. Granddau 2yrs 6mon. TN TN TN
        Martha L. Granddau 8 TN TN TN

        1930 Dist 13 Davidson Co. TN
        W.M. Latta Head 1st mar@18 MI Canada -French MI Taxi Driver
        Rhode J. Wife 59 1st mar@18 IL VA GA
        Martha L. Granddau 19 single TN TN TN

        1930 13 Dist Davidson Co. TN
        Fannie Latta Head 30 Wd 1st mar@16 TN TN TN Multigraph Operator Printing Whs
        Dora M. Dau 12 single TN TN TN

        William and Sadie Wilkerson both b. AL are listed on the 1900 Davidson Co. TN

        William Wilkerson m. Sarah Sutton 28 Apr 1884 Jackson Co. by MOG C.H. Tally OS Page 382

        I would contact TN Dept of Archives and see if they have any info on the TN Industrial School in 1900. If they have, the records should list Mason's mother and father.

        Clay Gullatt